Honda HR-V Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So I think i'm all set for my trip. It won't be till the spring though. I've camped out of my car during some multi-day racing events and it's good enough. Good enough for overnight stays while traveling. Pretty bare bones. Cooler. Camp stove. Baby wipes. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any updates from peoples travels?

I've been playing with the idea of making something like this:
https://www.habitents.com/

for the HRV...currently I'm just using mosquito net attached with magnets over the back hatch

I just got a new sewing machine and its on my DIY to-do list

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the post. Great invention. I wonder what would be involved in modifying it to fit the HRV. I don't have the sewing skills to make one from scratch but modifications might not be too big a job.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I began designing a sleeping platform for the HR-V, until I realized that it wouldn't work without sliding and tilting the seats all the way forward. I suppose it'll work if moving the seats is not a concern. I car camped in my Mazda3 hatchback, and the biggest benefit of having a vehicle with a longer wheelbase is that I can keep the bed intact while going down the road. Also means I can crawl out of bed and into the driver's seat without having to get out of the car.

I eventually got a mid-rise camper shell for my crew cab long bed F250, and I might as well be driving a luxury motor coach compared to the Mazda3. I can take everything and the kitchen sink, not think twice about how I'm going to Tetris-pack it all inside, can grab anything from anywhere at any time without moving anything else, and still have room to stretch out. Also having the spare wheel be externally accessible is awesome. I once got a flat while on a car camping trip in the Mazda, and having to unpack literally the entire car to get the spare out was unpleasant to say the least.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wrote Habitents about one for the HRV and here's what he wrote back:

"Hello, unfortunately the current model will not fit the HRV. However, we will be working on a model that can fit cars such as the HRV. Still at the drawing board stage. Best, Cory at Habitents.com"

So there's hope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@rgs

Yeah I wrote them an email last year and got a more vague answer...good to know that they are working on it though

RGS, if you want after I make mine... I can send you some picks...depending on how hard it is to make my idea for the HRV I might be willing to make you one for the cost of materials

·
Registered
26 Posts
I began designing a sleeping platform for the HR-V, until I realized that it wouldn't work without sliding and tilting the seats all the way forward. I suppose it'll work if moving the seats is not a concern. I car camped in my Mazda3 hatchback, and the biggest benefit of having a vehicle with a longer wheelbase is that I can keep the bed intact while going down the road. Also means I can crawl out of bed and into the driver's seat without having to get out of the car.

I eventually got a mid-rise camper shell for my crew cab long bed F250, and I might as well be driving a luxury motor coach compared to the Mazda3. I can take everything and the kitchen sink, not think twice about how I'm going to Tetris-pack it all inside, can grab anything from anywhere at any time without moving anything else, and still have room to stretch out. Also having the spare wheel be externally accessible is awesome. I once got a flat while on a car camping trip in the Mazda, and having to unpack literally the entire car to get the spare out was unpleasant to say the least.
That is the downside, having to push the front seats all the way forward.... if I'm by myself I just sleep on the passenger side, so it just stays pushed forward and doesn't mess with the driver seat...seems to work well

I have some more mods planned for my sleeping/camping set up here soon before the new camping season... I'll post some pics once I get it all set up

·
Registered
26 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. It makes me want go buy my HRV & travel. Although the 5 degree temps & snow make me want to stay in & read about HRV adventures.
I'm hoping to do a car camping trip here soon... its still quiet cold here in Maine, so it should be interesting...plus the girlfriend is a little nervous about it ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
@rgs

RGS, if you want after I make mine... I can send you some picks...depending on how hard it is to make my idea for the HRV I might be willing to make you one for the cost of materials
Thanks, Physicsguy666. I might well be interested. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am new to hrv forum,but I had my 2016 hrv lx manual transmission since August 2016. I tried 3 camping trips and slept in the back with the rear seats fold flat and added camping foam and mats to make it flat as possible. My biggest issue is how do you add shades on all the windows? I bought the solar shades to cover the front. Please advise if any one on this form is able to provide any window shade solutions. Where can you buy them? I would appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi, I am new to hrv forum,but I had my 2016 hrv lx manual transmission since August 2016. I tried 3 camping trips and slept in the back with the rear seats fold flat and added camping foam and mats to make it flat as possible. My biggest issue is how do you add shades on all the windows? I bought the solar shades to cover the front. Please advise if any one on this form is able to provide any window shade solutions. Where can you buy them? I would appreciate your feedback.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Foldab...ash=item237f2f3d7a:g:g6EAAOSw5cNYg6K0&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
26 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just checked out the HR-V in person today for the first time. Really cool how the seats fold down totally flat. Definitely a bit bigger in the back than I thought it would be. I slid the passenger seat forward and climbed in there. Was able to lie down; from the outside it doesn't look like you'd be able to... pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm 6'4" and can comfortably ride in the back, which amazed me. Tried sleeping in the back with my wife, even with seats pushed all the way forward it was cramped for me, but maybe one person would be fine

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 6'4" and can comfortably ride in the back, which amazed me. Tried sleeping in the back with my wife, even with seats pushed all the way forward it was cramped for me, but maybe one person would be fine

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Yeah if it were just you, you could probably lay diagnolly and be ok. I'm about 6" shorter than you, for me I could pretty mcuh lay straight and on one side...

Also, pretty sure I could fit a mountain bike in there without taking the front wheel off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah if it were just you, you could probably lay diagnolly and be ok. I'm about 6" shorter than you, for me I could pretty mcuh lay straight and on one side...

Also, pretty sure I could fit a mountain bike in there without taking the front wheel off.

I'm 6'2" and dont have issues sleeping straight on one side with the front seat pushed all the way forward. I've slept in there just me, with my dog on the other side ( I use the backseat catch as a leash holder for her)... I've also slept in there with my gf with no issues...Width of the back just inspires a little cuddling ;)

41 - 60 of 86 Posts