Honda HR-V Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Myke, your mountain bikes must be shorter than my 29er xl frame :)

With the seats and front wheels off I can stand a few up in the back no problem, with gear around them.

Cuddling, if I have to lol...

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Myke, your mountain bikes must be shorter than my 29er xl frame :)

With the seats and front wheels off I can stand a few up in the back no problem, with gear around them.
Ha... yes, I am old school they are 26 or 27" I think. Also, I didn't mean standing up; I think lying down with the front wheel turned it would fit.

I used to fit it in my honda accord sedan like that, I had to take the seat off, then put the rear wheel in first, turn the bars and the trunk could just close... (rear seat of car was down too of course...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car camping

Found the Intex Kids mattress fits well in the cargo area for car camping Was looking for something thick enough sonyou dont feel the hump. Not much room for cargo but can fit a little on the side and in between the back of front seat and the cargo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
How tall are you? My wife and I talked about doing this last year but I'm 6'4" and it just seemed like it would be cramped

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im 5'5" . It would be cramped if you are 6 4 . You would have to bend your legs similar to when I tried laying in the backseat. Also I dont have the front seat all the way forward. The air mattress is 65". The standard one is 75"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you!!!!! I'm new to the notion of car camping. I'm breaking myself in over the weekends before I start more lengthy adventures. This past weekend I camped in the car, and oh, my aching back. I will definitely try this mattress! It sounds perfect (I'm 5'4").

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Costco had these amazing air mattresses in stores last weekend. Klymit I think. 1.5" thick, inflates with 10-15 breaths, supportive and rolls up to the size of a water bottle. All for only $32.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I can tell you I'm at least a foot too tall (if not 2) to use something like that lol. My wife and I contemplated sleeping in the back with the seats laid flat, that seems more plausible

·
Registered
418 Posts
Has anyone used one of these pads for their HRV? It would work perfect for short trips with my adventure buddy.
So who makes that thing, what’s it called, and where’s a website to look at/order it? There no dimensions given so I don’t know if it would fit the HRV. I’m 5’4” and I’m not sure I could fit sleeping across the car the way that mattress seems to show.

·
Registered
1 Posts
http://www.runawaycampers.com/index.html
Check this out! It's a lightweight towable camper. They say any 4 cylinder car can handle it so surely the HR-V can. Looks like I would just need to install the hitch. How easy would it be to connect the brake lights, etc.?

It's a bare basic camper. But it's so inexpensive compared to others. The interior space is pretty much the same size as the HR-V. It looks completely customizable on your own. Some owners have installed some pretty awesome setups in it.

Thoughts? I would be looking at the Navigator model.
Hi I’ve just been on FB and there is a lady saying Honda say the HRV isn’t able to tow anything because of the belt drive system it has so either check it out with your staffers ?? And honda because she has been sold a car to tow a teardrop camper that can’t 😱 tow anything it’s in the manual unless it’s braked on one axle , and she told the sales man that’s what she wanted it for 🤦
Hope this helps 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know the dimensions of this mattress? Also a weblink would be helpful. Thanks!
Hey Chaps,

I recently bought a HRV and loved the idea of being able to sleep in the back.

I just received the following which fit perfectly into the space with the back seats flat its just a case of putting the front seats forward and leaning them forward with the handles, the parcel shelf can go in front of the front seats. Takes minutes to set-up with the magic seats.

They are 180cm long and 60cm wide with a depth of 14cm and made of good comfortable foam. I thought I would have to cut them slightly for the arm rest and maybe for the wheel arches but actually I feel its not worth the effort of cutting them. They actually allow access to store a phone in the rear arm rest or plug into the rear 12v plug here.

I'm 5'10 and I actually feel I have plenty of space - you can't feel the plastic cover that pokes up slightly at all - again I thought I would end up cutting a slight indent for this (and they can be zipped out of the covers) but there's no need.

They stack up into cubes when you fold them up and can be stored in various spots.

Here's them in the boot without the parcel shelf.

Or with the larger magic seat folded up they can fit here as well as long as you put them here before pulling pack the passenger seat.

Or if you only want one, then it can be stored in the boot with the parcel shelf on.

Bought in the UK from Argos and Argos ebay - I just bought them but they were on-sale for £100 each and combined postage (£3.95). Personally for how comfortable they are and their perfect fit I think they were a bargain!

Argos Home Prim Single Fabric Sofa Bed

Habitat Prim Fabric Single Ottoman Bed - Charcoal

If you also need bag storage there's a good amount under the boot floor you could still use - but there's not enough for full size back packs, there's also enough space to sit up as is but if you wanted more storage space you could get a elastic net which you attach to the handles above each door - I think you'd need a roof rack if you have full back packs for two people.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
251 Posts
Hello, see my post below in the "Can I fit a twin size mattress ?" thread, which the answer is yes. Please reply here though.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
251 Posts
Does anyone think that there would be anything dangerous, exhaust fumes or etc., about sleeping in the car with the a/c on and the car running for hours?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Does anyone think that there would be anything dangerous, exhaust fumes or etc., about sleeping in the car with the a/c on and the car running for hours?
As long as the exhaust is not blocked, I don't see why there would be an issue. You drive for hours with the AC on, right? :)

·
Registered
339 Posts

IMO, there is absolute risk of carbon monoxide getting into the car.
The HRV is small and it wouldn't take much CO to kill you inside it.
I would never take the risk.

Plus the noise of the engine, plus the noise of the cooling fans turning on and off.
It's not good to idle a gas engine for so long. It will use a significant amount of fuel.
Completely the opposite of a diesel engine.

Even if you had the windows slightly open, which I would recommend, then the AC would run more.
Even if you attached some kind of extended pipe to the exhaust pipe, there still could be a small exhaust leak in the system allowing CO to enter the vehicle.

In Canada, where getting stuck in winter in snow in a ditch is common, there are tons of CO risks
of idling your car to stay warm while waiting for help.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
251 Posts
First off, if you've seen my other posts about the bed in the car, this is a last resort plan during hurricane season if we can not get a hotel. We do have a generator for the house but I think that this "car camping" idea may be safer and the lessor of the two. The problems with the generator for the house is CO gas as well as a fire hazard (both electrical and gasoline), plus waiting in line for hours for gas every day. I see on the news after a hurricane reports of many people that have died from generator use but never from someone that was "living in their car" but I'm not sure if they were running the a/c or not. I do have a CO alarm for the house that I could use in the car. Now, I'm thinking of getting a CO gauge to actually monitor the gas. I could also do a "dry run" test with the CO alarm and/or gauge in the car and let it run without anyone in it.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts