Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone test-driven both AWD-CVT and 2WD-CVT variants in say an LX or EX build?

Any appreciable differences in power and acceleration?

Did you see more of a difference in Drive or Sport mode?

As an aside, I know the 2WD has microscopically more ground clearance as well as better gas mileage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone test-driven both AWD-CVT and 2WD-CVT variants in say an LX or EX build?

As an aside, I know the 2WD has microscopically more ground clearance as well as better gas mileage.

There have been no 2WD available in my area, only AWD.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I think that is a great question. As stated further, though, FWD models seem few and far between, at least in the northeast. Love the green color, but would like to hear if weight difference and mechanics would make a difference in performance between AWD and FWD. I could definitely get by with FWD.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that is a great question. As stated further, though, FWD models seem few and far between, at least in the northeast. Love the green color, but would like to hear if weight difference and mechanics would make a difference in performance between AWD and FWD. I could definitely get by with FWD.

Yes, the Northeast USA is only getting AWDs and MTs for at least their initial shipments.
I live in NYC and have been told this categorically by every Honda dealer I've visited this month alone (so far about 10-12 dealerships).

The "lore" is that Honda engineers speaking off the record at auto shows have said the CVT in the FWD HR-V is more responsive than the MT and, to a lesser extent, the AWD.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the southern regions, it is mostly FWD. People down here don't need the AWD as much.
Yeah they all have ATVs anyway. LOL

But I have to imagine that a few will show up at a given dealer in the South more than a 2WD will up in the Northeast or Upper Midwest. right now.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Irrelevant.
Doesn't address the issue I raised. There are dealers in the Midwest, South, and Southwest getting both.

And I believe it is possible to see FWD in the sunbelt outsell the AWD.

Hope someone has the actual answer to your question soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm also looking for a 2WD in the Baltimore area. I figure if the weather's bad enough that I need AWD, I should just stay home! Currently a 2009 FIT owner and have never had any problems with just having FWD

·
Registered
290 Posts
You can pretty much simulate the performance difference by just removing 150 lbs of dead weight from the right seat. Think about it. The AWD system in the HRV is essentially 150 pounds of dead weight 99.999% of the time. It only activates on wheel slippage.

So just go for a ride with a 150 lb friend in the right seat. Observe performance. Repeat the same drive without that person in the car. You've just "sort of" replicated the performance difference between AWD and 2WD in the HRV for identical trims. Yea, it's like slicing wedding cake with an ax, but it's a good approximation until you can drive the real thing.

Before the inevitable flames start - I'm just saying this is a crude approximation you can do immediately. The car doesn't much care if the 150 lbs is a human or a chunk of metal. Yea, the center of gravity won't be the same. But you get an idea of what 150 lbs of dead weight will do to your acceleration.

If I described the AWD system incorrectly, corrections are welcome.

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah they all have ATVs anyway. LOL

But I have to imagine that a few will show up at a given dealer in the South more than a 2WD will up in the Northeast or Upper Midwest. right now.
I did get stuck on a flat field, on a Kentucky farm once! I had to wait for the field to dry out to retrieve my F-150 (with no locking differential).

AWD would have a use on the farm, even in the south. Of course, most people don't get off the road and drive through wet fields.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You can pretty much simulate the performance difference by just removing 150 lbs of dead weight from the right seat. Think about it. The AWD system in the HRV is essentially 150 pounds of dead weight 99.999% of the time. It only activates on wheel slippage.

So just go for a ride with a 150 lb friend in the right seat. Observe performance. Repeat the same drive without that person in the car. You've just "sort of" replicated the performance difference between AWD and 2WD in the HRV for identical trims. Yea, it's like slicing wedding cake with an ax, but it's a good approximation until you can drive the real thing.

Before the inevitable flames start - I'm just saying this is a crude approximation you can do immediately. The car doesn't much care if the 150 lbs is a human or a chunk of metal. Yea, the center of gravity won't be the same. But you get an idea of what 150 lbs of dead weight will do to your acceleration.

If I described the AWD system incorrectly, corrections are welcome.
If you truly want to replicate 150 lbs of "dead weight" you're going to have to pull a Weekend At Bernie's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
awd

I'm also looking for a 2WD in the Baltimore area. I figure if the weather's bad enough that I need AWD, I should just stay home! Currently a 2009 FIT owner and have never had any problems with just having FWD

why not step up to the AWD, it is worth it, imo! you would be pleasantly surprised how much more traction with awd in minimal snow vs the 2 wheel. I have owned both and I prefer to have the awd if available in the line up........here is sux iowa the dealer tells me they will be stocking awd for the most part....for the price point you can't beat the awd really....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for your input (and I do love the divorce joke!)...

As you're aware I live in NYC and I have to wonder if a good set of winter tires coupled with the extra power of the lighter 2WD would compensate for not having the extra 150+ pounds of AWD machinery which I'd only need for maybe 2 months out of the year.

Or just wait for the turbo edition HR-V coming in mid-late 2016?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts