Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
CVTs seem a little controversial. Some people really don't like them. I think that is often because they don't get what they are supposed to feel like. Definitely better than a 12 speed transmission IMO though. Its supposed to cut fuel consumption too.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It also depends on what you want out of a vehicle and what that vehicle should be like for what it is. Imagine them putting a cvt in the NSX....

·
Registered
620 Posts
So do you think that the HR-V is the type of vehicle that a CVT would fit well in? I'm not so against the CVT, but I also haven't driven a car with that transmission in it yet, so I guess I still can't claim to have too much of an opinion.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no problem with GOOD CVT's, but there are too many awful one out there. The one in the Subaru Outback is actually one of the better ones out there. I experienced one of the older Ford CVT's severl years ago and it was abysmal, I'm not sure whats worse the old ford CVT or the ick that comes out of Nissan nowdays...

·
Registered
620 Posts
So do you think there has been a few bad apples that has ruined the bunch in regards to CVTs? I feel like there is quite a bit of confusion and misinformation about CVTs. It may be a problem of messaging with CVTs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
So do you think there has been a few bad apples that has ruined the bunch in regards to CVTs? I feel like there is quite a bit of confusion and misinformation about CVTs. It may be a problem of messaging with CVTs.
I know the number of bad CVT's made Nissan look bad overall and has people really on edge on what they think about Nissan's CVT's, that's something which will last in their minds for a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
there has

but if you look into it... some are good, just need to do your research if you really want a car that comes with one to see if it could be a problem.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I believe subaru has one of the better CVT's in the industry, haven't heard many bad things about it in the XV

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just remember hearing a lot of bad stuff about the one by Nissan. It seems like they are still dealing with the fallout of that.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hopefully they have come up with a fix by now

the problem when things like that happens is how dealers handle it and the car maker.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe it''s somewhere around 10-12 of their vehicles that come with a CVT transmisson, which makes me wonder if people are really turned off by that and in turn losing Nissan sales.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe it''s somewhere around 10-12 of their vehicles that come with a CVT transmisson, which makes me wonder if people are really turned off by that and in turn losing Nissan sales.
I've always followed cvt transmission's experiments by Nissan with a lot of interest... For I used to be a MT addict, and I just hated the very unpredictable gear switches on the «automatic transmissions»; which I have to drive, because of my wife's needs.
So the cvt appears as a very pertaining compromise, and I trust Honda, with its «proverbial» delays to introduce new technologies, to offer a pleasant, performing and trustable cvt in the HRV.
And if that technology delivers fuel economy and acceptable general performance, it would explain why customers gladly adopt it ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts