Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did my first CVT fluid change on my 2019 AWD at 25,000 miles today. The following are my observations.

1. Gladly there was a minimum of buildup on the magnet. I live in a mountainous region which can be hard on transmissions.
2. I was surprised that the HCF-2 is not dyed red. It's not an issue, it just took me by surprise. In my 47 years of car ownership this is the first automatic transmission fluid I've seen that isn't dyed.
3. It took 4.5 US quarts to refill. The spec is 4.2 quarts. The initial fill was 4.0 quarts. After warming the engine/CVT and shifting through the gears it took another 0.5 quart to top up.
4. I was disappointed that there wasn't enough clearance to get my torque wrench on the fill plug.
5. The HR-V has never driven better. Just kidding, I can't tell any difference.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks spacewrangler. My wife's HRV is getting close to its first CVT fluid change. I fear the moment of inspecting the drain plug. If it's bad I'll immediately trade it in for a Toyota.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I did my first CVT fluid change on my 2019 AWD at 25,000 miles today. The following are my observations.

1. Gladly there was a minimum of buildup on the magnet. I live in a mountainous region which can be hard on transmissions.
2. I was surprised that the HCF-2 is not dyed red. It's not an issue, it just took me by surprise. In my 47 years of car ownership this is the first automatic transmission fluid I've seen that isn't dyed.
3. It took 4.5 US quarts to refill. The spec is 4.2 quarts. The initial fill was 4.0 quarts. After warming the engine/CVT and shifting through the gears it took another 0.5 quart to top up.
4. I was disappointed that there wasn't enough clearance to get my torque wrench on the fill plug.
5. The HR-V has never driven better. Just kidding, I can't tell any difference.

What did the old CVT fluid look like? Ours came out quite dark at 30000miles/50000km when I changed it.

The useless air intake resonator is what's in the way of the CVT fluid level check plug. I fixed that issue on our HRV!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What did the old CVT fluid look like? Ours came out quite dark at 30000miles/50000km when I changed it.

The useless air intake resonator is what's in the way of the CVT fluid level check plug. I fixed that issue on our HRV!

It looked like typical used machine oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your transmission failed after the fill plug popped off?
Best I can tell, all was fine at last dealer serviced oil change. Passed all service inspections at that time. No idea when it popped off but clearly wide open since it did. lots of fluid and dirt visible as seen in pic. Wish it was a screw down plug. Sucks that you can only check the fluid level is by pulling the overflow bolt. Car has been mechanically fine never had a reason to look but now I do so who knows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best I can tell, all was fine at last dealer serviced oil change. Passed all service inspections at that time. No idea when it popped off but clearly wide open since it did. lots of fluid and dirt visible as seen in pic. Wish it was a screw down plug. Sucks that you can only check the fluid level is by pulling the overflow bolt. Car has been mechanically fine never had a reason to look but now I do so who knows.
[/QUOTE
this clickable link NHTSA/Honda notice on CVT plug to the NHTSA / Honda report says it all.. covers CVT in CIVIC/FIT/HRV

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link.

We were actually talking about it in another thread

Followed the TSB by cleaning the vent cap and the problem should be solved (worked for me).

I'd change out the CVT fluid as well in case too much fluid leaked out or debris got in.

If there are no issues, you should be fine.

Transmission Fluid Plug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts