Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did my first CVT fluid change on my 2019 AWD at 25,000 miles today. The following are my observations.

1. Gladly there was a minimum of buildup on the magnet. I live in a mountainous region which can be hard on transmissions.
2. I was surprised that the HCF-2 is not dyed red. It's not an issue, it just took me by surprise. In my 47 years of car ownership this is the first automatic transmission fluid I've seen that isn't dyed.
3. It took 4.5 US quarts to refill. The spec is 4.2 quarts. The initial fill was 4.0 quarts. After warming the engine/CVT and shifting through the gears it took another 0.5 quart to top up.
4. I was disappointed that there wasn't enough clearance to get my torque wrench on the fill plug.
5. The HR-V has never driven better. Just kidding, I can't tell any difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks spacewrangler. My wife's HRV is getting close to its first CVT fluid change. I fear the moment of inspecting the drain plug. If it's bad I'll immediately trade it in for a Toyota.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did my first CVT fluid change on my 2019 AWD at 25,000 miles today. The following are my observations.

1. Gladly there was a minimum of buildup on the magnet. I live in a mountainous region which can be hard on transmissions.
2. I was surprised that the HCF-2 is not dyed red. It's not an issue, it just took me by surprise. In my 47 years of car ownership this is the first automatic transmission fluid I've seen that isn't dyed.
3. It took 4.5 US quarts to refill. The spec is 4.2 quarts. The initial fill was 4.0 quarts. After warming the engine/CVT and shifting through the gears it took another 0.5 quart to top up.
4. I was disappointed that there wasn't enough clearance to get my torque wrench on the fill plug.
5. The HR-V has never driven better. Just kidding, I can't tell any difference.

What did the old CVT fluid look like? Ours came out quite dark at 30000miles/50000km when I changed it.

The useless air intake resonator is what's in the way of the CVT fluid level check plug. I fixed that issue on our HRV!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did the old CVT fluid look like? Ours came out quite dark at 30000miles/50000km when I changed it.

The useless air intake resonator is what's in the way of the CVT fluid level check plug. I fixed that issue on our HRV!

It looked like typical used machine oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts