Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the belts in the CVT transmission be replaced? how long do they last?

I don't see any service information in my owner guide about belt?

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
Replacing a CVT belt would be part of an entire trans rebuild....not a maintenance item.

Change the CVT fluid at the maintenance interval (or less, say many CVT owners of all brands). 30K miles (50K km) seems to be a popular interval.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is my first CVT and I didn't even know that there were belts. Where are they?

I'm starting to think that I might change my fluid at 20k to 25k miles.
My friend just bought a house with 3 car garage and a lift. I should be able to use it to perform maintenance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The belt is more like a chain. It has links but instead of sprocket teeth, there is a variable pitch pulley and friction is used between the pulley and links to transmit power.

Replacing the belt requires removing and tearing down the trans at a cost of thousands of dollars for a rebuild.

The most you can do is change the fluid (around 4 qts), more frequently than recommended by the maintenance minder. This usually means 25-35Kmiles instead of 35-45K. Fluid runs around $15 per quart. I would not use anything but Honda OEM CVT fluid for your generation of trans (HCF-2) despite what anyone tells you. I would also have the local dealer do the work in case the trans fails. My friendly local reputable independent shop will not do any CVT fluid changes any longer because of failures.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts