Honda HR-V Forum banner

201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
That’s what they said to me too...we don’t typically see that happen. Well it did and get a used transmission put in it was $3200...remanufactured $6500...
I see them at Car-Part all over the country starting at $500. They would not go for that price if they were in demand as a high failure item. It would take a good tech about 3-5 hours to install it. Don

·
Registered
136 Posts
I see them at Car-Part all over the country starting at $500. They would not go for that price if they were in demand as a high failure item. It would take a good tech about 3-5 hours to install it. Don

The dealer or shop will also charge for the time to track down a good used CVT trans plus shipping to the shop plus the local dealer/shop markup.

3-5 hours is really thin for HRV CVT R & R. (removal and reinstall).
Do you know if the 2wd CVT transaxle will come out without engine removal.
What about CVT AWD transaxle?
Will the engine and trans even come out the top? Or does it have to be dropped with the K-member from below?

On our front wheel drive Acura TSX, the manual transaxle will come out the top without the engine but not the larger automatic transaxle.
This adds a ton of time to the trans r & r.

Just my opinion and there doesn't appear to be many mechanics nor gearheads on this site, let alone anyone that has pulled an engine and trans out of an HRV. :)

For out of warranty work. How many dealers will offer a replacement from a wreck as an option without being asked? Most people are unaware of such option.
Some factory dealers (Honda, Ford, GM, etc,) will absolutely not install used parts but some have no issues.
Depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So after reading this thread, I'm going to be changing the fluid more often. My usage falls under severe service and the fluid becomes dark after 10,000km.

Recently, I had both CVT filters changed @ 100,000km.

One is located in the engine bay, behind the CVT warmer. The other can be accessed by dropping the pan. Mechanic said it was a good idea to change them.

Here are the parts required (prices in CAD):

O-RING, CVTF WARMER91302-5T0-003$3.01
O-RING, CVTF WARMER91303-5T0-003$4.36
O-RING (37.7X3.5) (ARAI)91305-PN4-003$4.14
GASKET, OIL PAN21814-5T0-000$12.62
STRAINER ASSY. (CVT)25420-5T0-003$67.38
FILTER25450-P4V-013$18.82

I ordered all these parts straight from Japan from Amayama.com. They were cheaper than the dealer.. Labour cost was $240CAD ($183USD).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Changing both CVT trans filters at 100 000km/60 000miles was a good idea.

How often have you been changing the CVT fluid? Any sludge found in the CVT trans pan or filters when they serviced it?

How are you determining that your CVT fluid is dark after 10 000km/6000miles? That seems very early.
But if you neglected the CVT trans fluid for a long time, the trans could still be sludged up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How often have you been changing the CVT fluid? Any sludge found in the CVT trans pan or filters when they serviced it?
How are you determining that your CVT fluid is dark after 10 000km/6000miles? That seems very early.
But if you neglected the CVT trans fluid for a long time, the trans could still be sludged up.
First drain and fill was at 50,000km (31000 miles). I changed the fluid because of some sketchy grinding noises that would randomly show up.

Second time was at 78,000km (48466 miles) and I had the CVT oil analyzed by a lab. The viscosity @ 100C was 5.1cst whereas fresh HCF2 fluid has a viscosity of 7.1cst @ 100C.

If interested, here's a thread about the analysis: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5041095/honda-hcf-2-cvt-17398-miles-2016-hr-v

From what I understand, this viscosity of 5.1cst is still in the acceptable range so even if the fluid came out dark - it doesn't mean it's bad.

The used oil analysis got me a little worried and so I had a third drain and fill completed at 80,000km (49709 miles).

Then at 90,000km (55923 miles), I had it changed a fourth time. The mechanic said the fluid that came out was clean.

And a few weeks ago @ 100,000km (62137 miles), I had the filters changed. 6 quarts of fluid came out of the pan and the mechanic said the fluid was dark.

All of the fluid was clean @ 90,000km but dark at 100,000km so that's where I got the 10,000km estimate.

When the pan was dropped, no sludge was found but there were a lot of metals found on the magnets inside the pan. The mechanic said this was normal and there is no need for concern.

He did say the filter that came from the valve body was very dark.

Now that the warranty is over, I replaced the 6 quarts that came out with Amsoil CVT. It flows better in cold temperatures so it should give the CVT better protection in the winter.

It's also got a higher quality synthetic base oil so it should last longer. It's the same colour as HCF-2 so if any brave souls want to use it while under warranty, you should be fine!

·
Registered
14 Posts
From a post on the other HRV transmission thread - report your transmission failures here:

I’ve learned a lot over the past week:
1) I spoke to someone at the law firm handling the most recent recall, who searched the National Highway Traffic Safety Association database and didn’t find enough complaints yet for a class action lawsuit. I had no idea I should be reporting there, and I placed a report with them at NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll join the many who have had CVT transmission failure - Mine was a 2016 HR-V with 71k miles. Just purchased it out of a 3 year lease - one month later, full transmission failure. Started with a slight vibration around 25mph/2000 rpm shifting. Then a couple of days later was making significant vibrations on lower couple of gears, but sounded fine in higher gears. Had about 2.5 hours of freeway driving the same day, and lost transmission on the freeway. No indicators, just went from 70mph to revving like it was in neutral. Was scary trying to get off the freeway in traffic. $6500 to replace the transmission on a car I just bought for $14k. My dealership was sympathetic, but I traded it in at big loss on a new CR-V with lifetime powertrain and 120k bumper to bumper. I enjoyed the car, but even if they replaced the transmission, will the new one go out again at 140k miles? Had hoped to give this car to my daughter for college in a few years, but that plan went out with the bad transmission.
I am confident this forum will be flooded with these same stories over the next few years. I ended up buying a used transmission with 7K miles on it and Honda installed it. My service rep and I started at $3,500 with a lifetime warranty and got it down to $2,261 including tax. (one-year warranty) I plan on getting rid of the vehicle asap. I have NEVER been more disappointed by a vehicle manufacturer. #FirstAndLastHONDA

REMEMBER ... 2016 WAS THE FIRST YEAR THE CARS WERE MANUFACTURED hence why there are still people on this website site with their head in the sand over this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From a post on the other HRV transmission thread - report your transmission failures here:

I’ve learned a lot over the past week:
1) I spoke to someone at the law firm handling the most recent recall, who searched the National Highway Traffic Safety Association database and didn’t find enough complaints yet for a class action lawsuit. I had no idea I should be reporting there, and I placed a report with them at NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
I didn't know that either and will report mine ASAP.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
You don’t have to report your transmissions, the data is picked up through warranty records transmitted from American Honda to NHTSA.

And be careful what assumptions you come to when you read about things on the web concerning reliability. Most car sites only cater to 1 to 2% of the entire owner population that buys the car as they are enthusiasts. Therefore they report everything and you tend to get a opinion that the car is coming apart, when actually in the universe, the problem is rather small.

I’m not saying that there’s not a problem with the CVT, I’m just saying that the problem may not be as prevalent as you think from reading here,In the overall scheme of things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately, I too was a victim of bad CVT transmission on a 2016 Honda HR-V.

On Thursday 02/20/2020, I was driving on a freeway at 55-60 mph when all of a sudden my dash light began flashing with check engine light, parking brake light, maintenance light, etc. you name it. At the same time, I lost control of my transmission and was not able to accelerate my car. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic so I was able to safely pull over to the side of the freeway. I turned my vehicle off, and when I turned it back on I was able to move my vehicle (though all the dash light still remained on). So I drove my vehicle straight to my local auto shop where they ran diagnostic and was not able to find any error codes. So I got my vehicle back and drove for another couple of days (no long distance driving), but on Saturday (02/22/2020) evening when I was on a left turn signal the same issue occurred again. I pushed my vehicle to the corner gas station with a help of others who saw me pushing the HR-V, and got my vehicle towed to the same auto shop first thing Monday morning. After spending a day and a half on my car, they determined that my transmission was completely shot and needs to be replaced. My vehicle had 62,000 miles, so I was just outside of the warranty.

Nevertheless, I still called Honda Corporate to see what they can do given my situation. They asked if 1) my vehicle has been inspected by the Honda dealer, and 2) was the 30k transmission fluid done at the dealer. My answer was no to neither of the two questions, but I was willing to take my car to the dealer and pay $125 for them to diagnose the issue if that is what it would take to get some type of warranty coverage. After speaking with the service managers on the phone in length, they assured me that since there are no recalls on their transmission and I am past the warranty this will likely not be covered by warranty even if I took my car to the dealer. I was able to obtain my 30k transmission fluid changed from the auto dealer, but they did not trust that the work was done per their standards. They also gave me a rough order of magnitude cost of around $7,000 to get a transmission installed at the Honda dealer.

At that time, I was already sensing that Honda will not be assisting me at all with this issue so I ended up getting my local auto shop install a refurbished CVT transmission installed w/ 18,000 miles warranty for $3000. I am currently waiting for my car to be repaired, and as soon as I get close to the 18,000 miles mark I will be selling this car for something other than Honda. I will also make sure to keep my receipt in case there is a recall on the transmission in the future so that I can make a case to Honda to reimburse the $3000 to replace my transmission.

This is very unfortunate since I've owned 2 Honda vehicles before and I purchased HR-V solely for the reliability of the vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dealer recommends changing the transmission fluid at 5 years or 100000km. (in Canada).
So it sounds like recommendations vary.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had my transmission fluid changed around 30,000 miles when the car was under 3 years old as I was preparing for a cross country trip and had it in for a normal oil change. The dealer recommended it and the last thing I wanted was for it to come on when I was half way across the country. I'm just over 50,000 miles now and the MM just popped up with the notice to change it. I think I could have gone the full 50,000, but given the issues that have been popping up on the forum I'm likely to have them change it again. Cheap insurance compared to the cost of a transmission replacement.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had my transmission fluid changed around 30,000 miles when the car was under 3 years old as I was preparing for a cross country trip and had it in for a normal oil change. The dealer recommended it and the last thing I wanted was for it to come on when I was half way across the country. I'm just over 50,000 miles now and the MM just popped up with the notice to change it. I think I could have gone the full 50,000, but given the issues that have been popping up on the forum I'm likely to have them change it again. Cheap insurance compared to the cost of a transmission replacement.
Agree. Mine hadn’t come on at 31k so had it changed. Hard to put a price on peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
62k miles is way too long. I use MM or Every 30k, whichever comes first.
Perhaps I want really clear on my initial post, I did get my transmission fluid changed at just over 30,000 miles but not at the Honda certified dealer so they did not have a record on file. I told Honda corporate I can get a receipt from the auto shop where I got my fluid changed to show proof, but they told me that they will still likely not cover since it wasn’t done by a Honda certifies people. Because I was already outside of warranty, situation like this is handled on case by case basis and the chance is very slim if they don’t have official record in their system. Now I know to always take my car in to the dealer for things like this.

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
117 Posts
I did get my transmission fluid changed at just over 30,000 miles but not at the Honda certified dealer so they did not have a record on file. I told Honda corporate I can get a receipt from the auto shop where I got my fluid changed to show proof, but they told me that they will still likely not cover since it wasn’t done by a Honda certifies people.
THAT really sux. I like to do ALL routine maintenance and I keep records of purchases (like Genuine Honda CVT fluid). That way, I control what is put into our cars. I feel that using Honda stuff is worthwhile, since I am saving on the labor cost.
:cautious::mad:

201 - 220 of 261 Posts