Honda HR-V Forum banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I do my own maintenance. In addition to saving receipts for products used, I also save the bar codes off oil bottles, filters, etc. I have a spiral book that I keep as a log. On each page I log, date, mileage, and maintenance items performed and staple the bar codes to that page.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I do my own maintenance. In addition to saving receipts for products used, I also save the bar codes off oil bottles, filters, etc. I have a spiral book that I keep as a log. On each page I log, date, mileage, and maintenance items performed and staple the bar codes to that page.
I’m not a lawyer (but have watched Judge Judy, ha) but doubt meticulous record keeping and receipts would hold up if an issue ever went to court or something similar.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I’m not a lawyer (but have watched Judge Judy, ha) but doubt meticulous record keeping and receipts would hold up if an issue ever went to court or something similar.
I've often wondered that myself. I used to keep very meticulous records but the last car I traded in the dealership told me I could throw them away or they could... It didn't prove that anything was done to the car.

Maybe it would convince the right buyer on the used market? I gave up frankly

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
You are at the mercy of Honda after your warranty expired with or without records. One or two here did get their tranny repaired for free after their warranty expired. I using the service log in the honda owner's site to keep track of my maintenances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Einz is correct, the Honda corporate clarified to me over the phone that once you’re out of warranty, it will be handled by them on a case by case scenario. And if your car was not maintained by Honda certified dealer then it’s very difficult for them to grant goodwill service on your vehicle. How my case was handled by Honda I don’t wish this on anyone. I hope all your transmissions, if they do go out, goes out before the warranty. And if it does go out after the warranty, hopefully there will be a recall or extended warranty issued by Honda to get your repairs covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was going down the highway and it turned into neutral and so I pulled over. Then it would not go back into drive. Just a little over 100,000 km

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess I am the latest victim of this. 2016 CVT with 73,000 miles. My wife asked me to drive her HRV one day after work saying it didn't feel right. I drove it and confirmed that it was shuttering like the torque converter wasn't able to maintain sufficient pressure to hold it in torque lock. I immediately returned home, opened the hood, and saw transmission fluid everywhere and the filler plug laying to the side of the transmission. I called a local Honda dealer and they had it towed to their shop. The service guy called the next day and told me the transmission was gone; there were large chunks of metal attached to the magnet drain plug. Initial quote: $6,800 "remanufactured" or $3,800 for a 17k mile used one. He agreed with me that this should not be happening to such a young car and said he had seen one other 2016 CVT HRV fail similarly. I asked about contacting Honda to help pay for it and he offered to help with that. We are now waiting to hear back. Based purely on reading this forum it seems this issue should be close to qualifying for a class action. I know Nissan recently settled a CVT class action. Has anybody had Honda offer to extend their powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry to hear this Remc86007... that sucks!!!

Make sure to get a quote from another mechanic if buying a used transmission. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market will show you the price of a used CVT in your area.

I'm seeing that used HRV CVTs go for under $1,000 so $3,800 with labour seems high.

So I find it very interesting that you found the fill plug laying on the side of the transmission.

A few weeks ago, I had the transmission fluid changed and my mechanic told me that the fill plug wasn't in place properly.

He said that the plug is designed to hold a certain amount of pressure and it'll come out if the pressure is exceeded. He said I must have driven the car hard and that's why it came out of place. We have no idea how long it was like that.

He advised me to check this plug once a week for now and then once a month once I'm confident that it's not coming out of place. If I drive hard, I should be checking it after the drive.

I've also got a 2016. Maybe some of these CVT issues are because the plug comes out of place, allowing contaminants to enter the fluid and/or a loss of fluid.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I guess I am the latest victim of this. 2016 CVT with 73,000 miles. My wife asked me to drive her HRV one day after work saying it didn't feel right. I drove it and confirmed that it was shuttering like the torque converter wasn't able to maintain sufficient pressure to hold it in torque lock. I immediately returned home, opened the hood, and saw transmission fluid everywhere and the filler plug laying to the side of the transmission. I called a local Honda dealer and they had it towed to their shop. The service guy called the next day and told me the transmission was gone; there were large chunks of metal attached to the magnet drain plug. Initial quote: $6,800 "remanufactured" or $3,800 for a 17k mile used one. He agreed with me that this should not be happening to such a young car and said he had seen one other 2016 CVT HRV fail similarly. I asked about contacting Honda to help pay for it and he offered to help with that. We are now waiting to hear back. Based purely on reading this forum it seems this issue should be close to qualifying for a class action. I know Nissan recently settled a CVT class action. Has anybody had Honda offer to extend their powertrain warranty?
Sorry to hear and hope you get some good news on a new/used transmission. What mileage intervals did you have your CVT fluid changed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I honestly can't remember if the fluid has ever been changed. I don't think it has. I do most of the maintenance on my cars myself, and I always follow the recommendations in the manual. I think the HRV's manual says to change the transmission fluid whenever the maintenance minder says to do so. I am certain that if it alerted me to do so, I would have done it. I am pretty anal about maintaining my cars: on my Civic Type R I changed the transmission fluid at 6k miles with Amsoil because of concerns posted online about 2nd gear grinds (which thankfully I have never had). I guess after this experience I'm going to start keeping a maintenance log for my cars so I can "prove" what's been done. I never saw the need since all of my other Honda's blew way, way past the warranty period without any issues.

Last month I took the HRV to the dealer to get the oil changed because I didn't want to go to the garage where my tools are because of COVID and the fact that older family members use that garage too. The dealer did their multi-point inspection and checked the box saying the transmission fluid was green....whatever that means...and made no mention of having it changed.

The cynical side of me suspects that the Honda tech took the transmission filler plug out to check the fluid and didn't properly seat it again which led to it falling out and contaminants getting in the tranny and blowing it up. The dealer of course dismissed this as a possibility.

Ironically, the service manager said that the fluid level and fluid quality looked fine...but for the floating metal pieces of course haha So I don't think the fluid not being changed is the issue here.

I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer about what assistance they or Honda can provide. I added it up and determined I have spent $84,000 on Hondas since 2013. It seems to me that in conjunction with a critical failure 13k miles out of powertrain warranty should qualify me for a little goodwill assistance...

I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
There are only two good wills from Honda here, both were slightly over 60K miles. A few had small portion of their repair covered.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ironically, the service manager said that the fluid level and fluid quality looked fine...but for the floating metal pieces of course haha So I don't think the fluid not being changed is the issue here.
That might be a red flag..

In my experience, the fluid darkens pretty quick so the only way to judge fluid quality would be to send it out for an oil analysis.

I had an analysis done @ 48,000miles. The fluid was changed 10 months earlier. The viscosity was in the acceptable range (5.1cSt) but it didn't bring much confidence that I could keep running it as new fluid has a viscosity of 7.1cSt.

According to Blackstone labs, the acceptable viscosity range is 5.1-7.9cSt.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That might be a red flag..

In my experience, the fluid darkens pretty quick so the only way to judge fluid quality would be to send it out for an oil analysis.

I had an analysis done @ 48,000miles. The fluid was changed 10 months earlier. The viscosity was in the acceptable range (5.1cSt) but it didn't bring much confidence that I could keep running it as new fluid has a viscosity of 7.1cSt.

According to Blackstone labs, the acceptable viscosity range is 5.1-7.9cSt.
With all the negative news about the transmission on this forum, I decided to change the transmission fluid every year along with the oil change. Since I do my own maintenance the extra cost is about $40 for the 4 quarts of HCF-2. I don't flush the transmission so there is residual fluid in the tranny each time. I have a 2016 LX AWD with 30,000 miles and I intend to keep the car for a long time so an extra $40 a year is a small price to pay for whatever added protection it provides, although not something I ever expected to need to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With all the negative news about the transmission on this forum, I decided to change the transmission fluid every year along with the oil change. Since I do my own maintenance the extra cost is about $40 for the 4 quarts of HCF-2. I don't flush the transmission so there is residual fluid in the tranny each time. I have a 2016 LX AWD with 30,000 miles and I intend to keep the car for a long time so an extra $40 a year is a small price to pay for whatever added protection it provides, although not something I ever expected to need to do.
I have a question-Do you use original HONDA HCF-2 fluid ? Here in Europe costs about 100Euro(111 $) 4 quarts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a question-Do you use original HONDA HCF-2 fluid ? Here in Europe costs about 100Euro(111 $) 4 quarts.
Most people use HCF-2 but it's not required. I wouldn't be using it if it costs 100EUR for 4 quarts.

I use Amsoil CVT which is certified as compatible and is supposed to be better than HCF-2. It has more synthetic base oils so it should last longer and be more protective in hot or cold temperatures.

Should be priced @ around 11.99EUR

Since you're in Slovakia, these guys should have it. nanodrive.sk

Or this website from Germany has it, but will charge 19EUR to ship to Slovakia:
https://www.ato24.de/en/amsoil-synthetic-cvt-fluid-0-946-l.html

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, I use the honda HCF-2 fluid and found it at the lowest price ($10 per quart + shipping) from College Hills Honda. I was going to order it from Amazon but they had a limit of 2 quarts for some reason. I would not have expected a high demand or shortage of this item. Oil prices are at record lows and I'm sure there are not that many people changing their transmission fluid. Because of the Amazon 2 quart limit, I did some more searching and found it cheaper at College Hills with no limit. Bought 12 quarts along with some other items.to minimize the impact of shipping cost. That should last me for a few years. I'm sure there are other brands of transmission fluid that I could safely use, but did not want to take chances for the small difference in cost. This DIY job is as easy as changing engine oil but requires a long neck funnel to reach down to the fill port.

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
117 Posts
Interesting, since Sol's $40 cost translates to ~36 Euros at the current exchange rate.

It DOES have specific properties (as do many Honda fluids) so it is probably worth using. Could you buy it cheaper online? E Bay in the US has several listings. Unfortunately, shipping costs might negate and savings.

Aisin CVT fluid is supposed to be compatible, too...but many 'alternate' makers say that, and you wouldn't experience issues until it was in the trans for many miles.

Your call!

221 - 240 of 261 Posts