Honda HR-V Forum banner

261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't understand! Why ruin a perfectly good subcompact SUV with a faulty CVT? This can't be! I need a percent of cvt failures vs no problems.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
I don't understand! Why ruin a perfectly good subcompact SUV with a faulty CVT? This can't be! I need a percent of cvt failures vs no problems.
So in regards to the issue with the fill cap/breather cap, the TSB said this is an issue with all 2016-2018 Fit's, Civic's and HRVs.

The TSB was issued in September 2019 so I can only assume that they fixed the issue for 2019's+.

They had no idea this was an issue because it took years to develop.

For all other issues, I doubt we'd think it's a big deal if we saw the % of failures versus no problems.

Honda obviously doesn't think there's an issue or else they'd give out an extended warranty like Subaru did with their CVTs to put people's minds at ease.

The truth of the matter is the majority of units have no issues surviving the warranty period.

The Civic was Canada's best selling car for 18 years before the 2016 came out.

There's no way Honda didn't test the crap out of the 2016 CVT before releasing it.

Because of all this, it's my opinion that the issues at hand are:
-Bad quality control at the factories
-Lack of maintenance

Honda really should be telling people to take better care of their CVT (fluid changes more often, maybe a filter change at a certain mileage) but they take the approach of all the other car companies of keeping quiet. They do this so costs remain low for the customer and if the CVT dies after the warranty is over, they fulfilled their obligations and they might make more money selling another car.

It's business at the end of the day but I don't think it's fair to call these faulty. There are some faulty units out there but they're not all faulty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone! First time on the forum and I’m here to report some bad news and I’m hoping to get some feedback from you guys. :)

I have a 2016 HRV LX CVT. Bought it just over a year ago brand new. I’ve since put about 51k miles on it. I do a lot of Uber and Lyft with it.

Now the main reason for me buying it is because of the reliability of Honda’s. Well a week ago as I was pulling out of Wawa, my whole dash lit up with lights. Turned off my car and turned it on again. This time my check engine and two parking lights were on and the red parking light flashing.

I drove it to my dealership and they couldn’t find anything. The next day as I was driving the electronics kept kicking my car out of gear. Dash lit up again and the gear indicator was showing all the gears at the same time. I got it towed to the dealership since I couldn’t drive it there. Once there they looked at it.

Had to wait for the weekend to pass after they talked to Honda, determined it was a speed sensor on the transmission ($359 btw). As they were replacing it, they noticed metal shavings inside of the transmission. Since this now became a faulty transmission it was covered under Powertrain warranty. So I wait till today and I go pick it up.

Everything feels good and normal on my way home. Stop for some food, start the car up again and there are these lights. Luckly I was able to drive it home.

So this is where I’m at, I’m hoping someone else has issues similar to this so we can report with each other and figure out what’s going on. I’m sorely disappointed with Honda at this moment.

Let me know what you guys think! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why ask us why or what to do? It’s obviously not fixed right and you are driving home right after picking the car up after Honda warranted service.
Honda fixed it, bring it back to them! I wouldn’t have driven it home like you did. I would have turned around right then and given them the car with the dash lit up and some fancy words from me.
I think you don’t need help here with this problem. Give the car to Honda and see the service manager. Don’t be loud but be very very serious with your displeasure very clear.
Also, demand a loaner car. You’ve been inconvenienced a lot. They will treat you in accordance with how you let them. Be polite but do not yield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi no I’m not driving it I had it towed to Tracy Honda because it broke down on the freeway and that’s Where I found out there were shavings in the transmission and a year in a half later shavings in the transmission again Honda told me I exceeded the miles not the warranty and if they would of told me this could happen again I would of traded it in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi no I’m not driving it I had it towed to Tracy Honda because it broke down on the freeway and that’s Where I found out there were shavings in the transmission and a year in a half later shavings in the transmission again Honda told me I exceeded the miles not the warranty and if they would of told me this could happen again I would of traded it in.
You can file vehicle safety complaints here - File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Transmissions in the 2016 HRVs are failing as the cars reach higher mileage - often on the interstate, causing a serious safety issue. If enough people report, it may trigger an investigation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2016 Honda HRV which has been lightly driven and routinely maintained. I really enjoyed the car until a complete transmission failure at 74,000 miles. Unfortunately, the warranty ended at 60,000 miles and I appealed to American Honda for assistance.

The consistent theme and reasoning for the failure, from both American Honda and two Honda dealerships is that the transmission fluid should have been changed every 30,000 miles. Interestingly, this guidance is not in the Owner's Manual, there was not any maintenance reminder that appeared after 30,000, or 60,000 miles. Additionally, I have documentation that after 30,000 miles, a Honda dealership checked the transmission fluid and a fluid change was not recommended.

American Honda has denied assistance and has cited "lack of maintenance" for the reason. This transmission failure has been an education to me on the CVT and its potential problems. I've had a used transmission installed at a cost of $4,000. I'm happy the car is running again, but am very concerned this car will be one I can keep for 100,000 miles or more, as has been my experience with Honda products in the past.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
I own a 2016 Honda HRV which has been lightly driven and routinely maintained. I really enjoyed the car until a complete transmission failure at 74,000 miles. Unfortunately, the warranty ended at 60,000 miles and I appealed to American Honda for assistance.

The consistent theme and reasoning for the failure, from both American Honda and two Honda dealerships is that the transmission fluid should have been changed every 30,000 miles. Interestingly, this guidance is not in the Owner's Manual, there was not any maintenance reminder that appeared after 30,000, or 60,000 miles. Additionally, I have documentation that after 30,000 miles, a Honda dealership checked the transmission fluid and a fluid change was not recommended.

American Honda has denied assistance and has cited "lack of maintenance" for the reason. This transmission failure has been an education to me on the CVT and its potential problems. I've had a used transmission installed at a cost of $4,000. I'm happy the car is running again, but am very concerned this car will be one I can keep for 100,000 miles or more, as has been my experience with Honda products in the past.
Sorry to hear you were treated this way. I don't think it's fair that Honda corporate denied to help after you had documentation that the dealer did not recommend the fluid change.

The service advisor was laughing when I had asked them to change the fluid at 30,000miles. I had to push to get it done which was very unusual considering that most of these service advisors are commission based.

I wouldn't worry too much about the used transmission. They are plenty of us on this forum with high mileage transmissions. Just have to be on the ball with fluid changes :(.

Lately, I've been changing the fluid every 20,000km (12500miles) and I'm at 113,000km (70000miles) without any issues.

Here's a sticker from a Toyota Corolla with a CVT that was serviced in Japan. It says to change the fluid every two years or 20,000km - whichever comes first.

What do they know that we don't...

GaAAAgPNkuA-960.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry to hear you were treated this way. I don't think it's fair that Honda corporate denied to help after you had documentation that the dealer did not recommend the fluid change.

The service advisor was laughing when I had asked them to change the fluid at 30,000miles. I had to push to get it done which was very unusual considering that most of these service advisors are commission based.

I wouldn't worry too much about the used transmission. They are plenty of us on this forum with high mileage transmissions. Just have to be on the ball with fluid changes :(.

Lately, I've been changing the fluid every 20,000km (12500miles) and I'm at 113,000km (70000miles) without any issues.

Here's a sticker from a Toyota Corolla with a CVT that was serviced in Japan. It says to change the fluid every two years or 20,000km - whichever comes first.

What do they know that we don't...

So at 20000km/12500miles, the CVT fluid must be looking very clean? I think you mentioned that you are using Amsoil CVT fluid?

A few people have reported that their CVT fluid came out clean looking at 40000+ miles, not sure if I believe them.
Our CVT fluid came out fairly dark at 50000km/30000miles.

With 113000km/70000miles on your CVT, have you changed both or either of the CVT filters?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Add me to the list. 2016 with 76k. No warnings, no slippage, no problems shifting no recommendations of fluid changes from dealership. Total transmission failure in the middle of a busy street.

I've owned bmws, Toyotas, Chevy's etc and never had a transmission issue before. Had a civic with 300k.

Dealer quoted 4k for a rebuilt with a 12 month warranty. They're going to get in touch with Honda and ask about good will assistance, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry that your CVT failed. It's really too bad that the CVT is a weak point in the HRV.
Like someone else said, "We really like the little guy", but it's not perfect.

At 5+ years and 76K miles/122K km, the CVT fluid was likely like black tar.

I think we have concluded that 25K miles/40K km is recommended for CVT fluid change.
No guarantees but this will at least give the CVT trans a chance at longer life.

It's not that expensive to do at a dealer and super easy to do at home.
Plus check the fill plug every time you fill up with gas and clean the CVT vent every oil change.

·
olegolf777
4 Posts
The User Guide for my car, which I bought in Ukraine, have a page with a list of service works.
The transmission fluid must be changed after 45,000 km.
I changed it to 22,500 km. I think this is reasonable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just had the transmission and rear differential eat themselves on a long trip in my 2017 with 39000 miles. Had the transmission service done in October. A few days prior to the trip, I felt a hesitation or clutch upon acceleration from a stop. No problems at high speeds on the trip until about 30 miles from my destination. We clunked into Honda, where they first declared it was the differential. Having read the forums, I said okay, but wasn't surprised when they returned to say it was also the transmission. They had to order all the stuff, so it sat in Amarillo for 10 days before I could return to pick it up. I'm thankful it was covered by warranty, but my daughter has a '16 and I hope she doesn't suffer the same result. I have already replaced the rear shocks twice, now transmission and rear differential on a 3 year old car which is well maintained with 39000 miles. Not pleased, Honda. The dealer did send this picture to corporate HQ.
IMG_6367.jpg

261 - 280 of 297 Posts