141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts

interest read. 50K-75K miles interval?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 HRV (80K) wth CVT trans that died at a stop light. I luckly had gotten off freeway and started hearing a noise that sounded like a loose shield from the rear. Stepping on the accelerator, it was like in neutral. I don't show any engine light or sensors lighting up on the dash. Was hoping it was a sensor thing but mechanic says trans problem. Got a call into Honda to find trans. Had trans checked back in April and was OK.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All corporations have a "culture".

At Honda, the "Engine Department" is the internal highest prestige place to work, and the good and talented people aim to work there.

Other Departments are distant 2nds or 3rds.

The "Transmission Department" ranks very low in internal prestige and is occupied by 4th quartile talent workers.

And this explains the age old refrain that, "Honda is an engine company first, and a car company second".

·
Registered
50 Posts
All corporations have a "culture".

At Honda, the "Engine Department" is the internal highest prestige place to work, and the good and talented people aim to work there.

Other Departments are distant 2nds or 3rds.

The "Transmission Department" ranks very low in internal prestige and is occupied by 4th quartile talent workers.

And this explains the age old refrain that, "Honda is an engine company first, and a car company second".
I've been told that when you buy a Honda, you're buying an engine, and they throw in the rest of the car for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great to hear that the dealership took responsibility! It's still hard to point any fingers with only so many people having more than 40,000 miles in a 2.5 year period.

Best of luck to your new transmission. Hopefully it's the last time it needs to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I figured I would add my transmission issue I just had last week. My 2016 HRV just went caput last week for no reason. It had just under 63K miles since I have to compute HWY to work. I’ve had regular maintenance kept up with car and oil changes done by dealership. I had no issues leading up to the breakdown. No lights came on. I was pulling onto an off ramp and all of a sudden my car started winding like it was not in a gear with rpms screaming. I came to a stop and my car would not move forward or back. The cars power was still on but no acceleration. So sitting there stuck and almost 8 months pregnant. Had to get towed to dealership.
Next day they call and informed me I need a full transmission replacement. He said when they opened it up and drained the fluid it was a metallic silver color. They had no reasoning as to why this happened to my 3 year old car. I left Volkswagen and Ford because Honda was supposed to be more reliable and we wanted to family car that would last. My husband even bought a Civic that same month brand new. I was hoping to pay it off soon and upgrade to a CRV or Pilot but now I’m nervous and questioning if I should stay with Honda or not. My father in law has a 2003 accord that is still running no issues which is the main reason we went with Honda.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Congratulations on the upcoming birth. I can fully understand and appreciate the concern you have over the quality of the car given your circumstances. I can only tell you I've had Ford, Toyota, BMW, Saturn, and Hondas over the past 3+ decades. I honestly have driven every Honda without any issue. We just turned over a 2006 CRV with 189K to its second owner. I did have a transmission problem on a 2004 Accord EXL-V6, but that came about after I used it to push my son-in-law's broken down Ford, and the car had 150K on it. My Ford, well it lasted about 75K miles and was in the shop for major repairs once a year. The Saturn was reliable. The BMW had low miles both when I bought and sold it, but I got rid of it before it could start giving me issues. It had well known issues with the cooling system made out of plastic that would deteriorate over time.

I'm saying this as a Dad. Be confident in the car you're driving, especially with the baby on the way. You can take your plan and execute it. The CRV and Pilot have both been around for quite a while. Can't say much about the reliability of the new Passport. The old one was dual badged with Izuzu and was garbage. I'd be confident with either of your choices, or your current HRV. Once the tranny is repaired, you should be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My transmission went bad :( 2016 only owned 2 1/2 years 43,000 miles. Yes it’s under warranty but I’m still not happy!!!!!
So I know this thread is OLD, but I had my 2016 HRV I the dealership today (less than 23k miles) and they have to replace my transmission as well!!!
This doesn’t seem normal.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I guess my entire transmission- I just picked up my HR-V with a brand new transmission this afternoon, and this bears repeating less than 23K miles!
My transmission was replaced under warranty with barely 2,000 miles, at 20 months old. It did not fail or give performance issues, but it leaked fluid and kept leaking. It would eventually crap out if not replaced. Dealer understood that and honored the obligation to correct the situation after one attempt to fix it. They kept the car for nearly three weeks to remove the old tran, wait for delivery of the new one by a freight carrier, and then install and road test the new one. I’ve had it on the lift at my own mechanic twice since just to double check its status and the new one was examined and found to be perfect. So I’m satisfied.

Now I’ve gotten the “beware of the white paint” notice referred to in another thread and I’m notified of the extended warranty if the paint peels. Not a boost to confidence.

I’m glad you’re driving with a new transmission and I’m sure you will feel good about the car again pretty quick. If you’re outraged at how few miles you had driven finally needing a new transmission, I had a sadder story at a much shorter interval of ownership. I no longer recommend the HRV to anyone asking about my car. Yet I still enjoy driving it and think it’s good looking and comfortable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
20k miles on 2018 LX AWD no issues. The engine and CVT are pretty much refined and bullet proof. Honda does not at any level except average. They are as dominant as they are because of their QC. With all that being said Internet forums are not an accurate source of reliability claims. They are great places to complain/vent. I expect my 2018 to rust out far before I experience major mechanical issues. Honda/Toyota only brand we own.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am glad you have not had any problems with your HR-V...Neither have I. Do you think people here with problems are lying? NO car is perfect....good luck with yours

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Honda's QC is not what is used to be. Even Honda executives admitted they have QC issues. Cost cutting doesn't help either. Some of the owners with CVT issue have been in this forum for awhile. There will be growing pains transitioning to CVT, DI and turbo for Honda .

I used to buy Hondas without even taking a test drive. Those days are over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad Transmission?

Hello everyone! First time on the forum and I’m here to report some bad news and I’m hoping to get some feedback from you guys. :)

I have a 2016 HRV LX CVT. Bought it just over a year ago brand new. I’ve since put about 51k miles on it. I do a lot of Uber and Lyft with it.

Now the main reason for me buying it is because of the reliability of Honda’s. Well a week ago as I was pulling out of Wawa, my whole dash lit up with lights. Turned off my car and turned it on again. This time my check engine and two parking lights were on and the red parking light flashing.

I drove it to my dealership and they couldn’t find anything. The next day as I was driving the electronics kept kicking my car out of gear. Dash lit up again and the gear indicator was showing all the gears at the same time. I got it towed to the dealership since I couldn’t drive it there. Once there they looked at it.

Had to wait for the weekend to pass after they talked to Honda, determined it was a speed sensor on the transmission ($359 btw). As they were replacing it, they noticed metal shavings inside of the transmission. Since this now became a faulty transmission it was covered under Powertrain warranty. So I wait till today and I go pick it up.

Everything feels good and normal on my way home. Stop for some food, start the car up again and there are these lights. Luckly I was able to drive it home.

So this is where I’m at, I’m hoping someone else has issues similar to this so we can report with each other and figure out what’s going on. I’m sorely disappointed with Honda at this moment.

Let me know what you guys think! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I

I have had the exact same experience. Only difference is after they replaced the sensor I got the car back and the transmission let go the next day. Towed to the dealer and they said it was filled with metal shavings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My HR-V transmission failed while on a trip 6 hours away from home. We were on the highway when the car started shaking. We pulled over, but the state police informed us we could not pull over legally, so we got off the highway. When we reached the first stoplight, the car would not move. The HR-V is a 2016 with 86K miles - my wife drives it a lot for work. We had it towed to a dealer, which found that a plug on the transmission was totally disconnected (unknown how that happened) and that it had no fluid. Our extended warranty covered the repair, but we spent an estimated $600 in rentals and had to drive back out the next weekend to pick it up.

That was around August 11. The extended warranty had a used transmission put in. We took it for an oil change yesterday, Sept 3, and our mechanic notified us that our replacement transmission is leaking fluid. Now the car is back in the shop.

Our last car was the infamous 2014 Ford Focus, which had a class action lawsuit related to its CVT transmission. The car stalled on the highway 3 times and no one could figure out the issue. We had to trade it in for safety concerns, with significant financial loss (this was all before the lawsuit - but we couldn't wait for legal action). We bought a Honda because we heard Honda was extremely reliable, yet here we are with MORE transmission issues. This is after last summer when the A/C went bad and needed to be replaced. We are both low on vacation time and we are sick of paying for rental cars while our "reliable" Honda sits in a dealer service garage with technicians shaking their heads in disbelief and confusion. We both drive A LOT for our jobs and need reliable cars. It seems like no one makes a reliable CVT anymore and we have no faith in auto manufacturers.

Thank God we bought the extended warranty, but there are still costs associated with putting the car in the garage all the time. Why is it so hard to just be able to buy a car that is truly reliable?

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
. It seems like no one makes a reliable CVT anymore and we have no faith in auto manufacturers.
It is new (mass produced) and it will get better over time. We are beta testing them right now. Other than Nissan, I dont know if other car makers have anymore issues than Honda with CVT?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My HR-V transmission failed while on a trip 6 hours away from home. We were on the highway when the car started shaking. We pulled over, but the state police informed us we could not pull over legally, so we got off the highway. When we reached the first stoplight, the car would not move. The HR-V is a 2016 with 86K miles - my wife drives it a lot for work. We had it towed to a dealer, which found that a plug on the transmission was totally disconnected (unknown how that happened) and that it had no fluid. Our extended warranty covered the repair, but we spent an estimated $600 in rentals and had to drive back out the next weekend to pick it up.

That was around August 11. The extended warranty had a used transmission put in. We took it for an oil change yesterday, Sept 3, and our mechanic notified us that our replacement transmission is leaking fluid. Now the car is back in the shop.

Our last car was the infamous 2014 Ford Focus, which had a class action lawsuit related to its CVT transmission. The car stalled on the highway 3 times and no one could figure out the issue. We had to trade it in for safety concerns, with significant financial loss (this was all before the lawsuit - but we couldn't wait for legal action). We bought a Honda because we heard Honda was extremely reliable, yet here we are with MORE transmission issues. This is after last summer when the A/C went bad and needed to be replaced. We are both low on vacation time and we are sick of paying for rental cars while our "reliable" Honda sits in a dealer service garage with technicians shaking their heads in disbelief and confusion. We both drive A LOT for our jobs and need reliable cars. It seems like no one makes a reliable CVT anymore and we have no faith in auto manufacturers.

Thank God we bought the extended warranty, but there are still costs associated with putting the car in the garage all the time. Why is it so hard to just be able to buy a car that is truly reliable?
Was the transmission fluid changed at a Honda dealer? If so, at what mileage? Unless it was never serviced in the 86k miles, I wouldn't blame the missing plug/fluid on the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought the HRV for our daughter in March 2016. Last week, 90 miles from home while driving to her job all the lights on the dash turned on and the car would not accelerate past 35-40 mph. We directed her to a Honda service center. They reported it needs a new transmission. The car is 3 1/2 years old, 90,500 miles. Our extended warranty expired at 90,000.I just emailed corporate. Fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath after reading the other posts with the same issue.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts