Honda HR-V Forum banner

161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 Honda HRV which I always take for oil changes and tell my mechanic to check everything to let me know what needs to be done. I was driving it home on Friday from a 3 mile trip to the store .. On the way back, I stopped at a stop sign, when it was clear to drive, I pressed the gas and nothing would happen.. I could not drive or reverse. There was absolutely NO warning..
I do have 101,000 miles on the car but I do take care of it... it is at the dealer now and we will find out if it's covered by the end of today.. I of course, just paid it off in full a few months ago-
We went with Honda for reliability.. I am shocked and saddened by this. Apparently, this has happened with other 2016 models..

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought the HRV for our daughter in March 2016. Last week, 90 miles from home while driving to her job all the lights on the dash turned on and the car would not accelerate past 35-40 mph. We directed her to a Honda service center. They reported it needs a new transmission. The car is 3 1/2 years old, 90,500 miles. Our extended warranty expired at 90,000.I just emailed corporate. Fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath after reading the other posts with the same issue.
Do you have any update? My 2016 HRX transmission failed 3 days ago. 101,000 miles.. seems to me something went wrong with the 2016 HRV models..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow.. this is just wrong- Honda has to do something. My 2016 HRV crapped out Friday- Transmission at 101,000 miles.. no warning whatsoever

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry to hear the CVT failed on your daughter & far from home. I really hope Honda corporate honors your extended warranty as a gesture of good will. I am cautiously optimistic about my CVT as I have only 20,000 miles on my 2017. The Honda dealer performed the first differential service at around 13,000 miles & I have asked them to check carefully for any leaks at each oil change so I fingers crossed I never have an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter bought a 2016 hrv— new— based on the great luck I’ve had with Hondas over the years. She commutes about 150 mikes/day, so she bought the extended warranty. That was good, as the transmission went out at about 110,000 miles. Transmission was replaced with a rebuilt transmission, with a 36000 mile warranty. This week the transmission failed again— at 40,000 miles so the warranty will not cover. The dealership told her it will cost $7000 to replace. She has a worthless car that she still owes payments on. How can Honda produce a vehicle that is so unreliable?
Yes, she did all of her required maintenance at her Honda dealer— she has meticulous records of her maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have any update? My 2016 HRX transmission failed 3 days ago. 101,000 miles.. seems to me something went wrong with the 2016 HRV models..
Yes, the Honda service center originally quoted 6,600 to repair. When we said we could not pay that and we'd have it towed elsewhere they said they could do it for 2000 with a remanufactured transmission. Honda Corporate did call me and restate that was the best they would do since it was at 90,400 miles. Even though we did have an extended 90,000 warranty. Now we have 3 yrs/36,000 mile warranty on remanufactured transmission. This means I will be dumping this car ASAP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter bought a 2016 hrv— new— based on the great luck I’ve had with Hondas over the years. She commutes about 150 mikes/day, so she bought the extended warranty. That was good, as the transmission went out at about 110,000 miles. Transmission was replaced with a rebuilt transmission, with a 36000 mile warranty. This week the transmission failed again— at 40,000 miles so the warranty will not cover. The dealership told her it will cost $7000 to replace. She has a worthless car that she still owes payments on. How can Honda produce a vehicle that is so unreliable?
Yes, she did all of her required maintenance at her Honda dealer— she has meticulous records of her maintenance.
Email Honda Corporate.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, the Honda service center originally quoted 6,600 to repair. When we said we could not pay that and we'd have it towed elsewhere they said they could do it for 2000 with a remanufactured transmission. Honda Corporate did call me and restate that was the best they would do since it was at 90,400 miles. Even though we did have an extended 90,000 warranty. Now we have 3 yrs/36,000 mile warranty on remanufactured transmission. This means I will be dumping this car ASAP.
Hey, I'd get my 36K miles!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the group. 2017 HRV which I love.
Suddenly at 70K miles, the acceleration was a little rough. I brought it to my favorite mechanic who thought it was a sensor on the accelerator.
While moving the car, the transmission seized up on them and freaked ''em out. Now I am looking at at needing a new transmission. Every other Honda I have owned have gotten 200k+. Not liking this CVT...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Honda HRV which I always take for oil changes and tell my mechanic to check everything to let me know what needs to be done. I was driving it home on Friday from a 3 mile trip to the store .. On the way back, I stopped at a stop sign, when it was clear to drive, I pressed the gas and nothing would happen.. I could not drive or reverse. There was absolutely NO warning..
I do have 101,000 miles on the car but I do take care of it... it is at the dealer now and we will find out if it's covered by the end of today.. I of course, just paid it off in full a few months ago-
We went with Honda for reliability.. I am shocked and saddened by this. Apparently, this has happened with other 2016 models..
I had the exact same issue with mine 2016 HRV yesterday 121000 miles on the odometer. stopped at a stop sign went to accelerate and nothing. Got towed to the dealer they told me they found cracked metal pieces no shavings. All Maintanance performed on time and though the dealer. Got quoted 7000 to repair. Honda corporate told me to eat a dick and the local TSM didn’t want to provide any assistance. Hopefully it turned out better for you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think Honda would not like that advice Einz. I had a 2015 CR-V with a CVT until I traded it for my HR-V last year and have never had any problems. Many cars use CVT's

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
It not the same cvt. I’m sure the one in crv can handle more torque and allowed towing. It is more robust than the ones in the hrv. HRV is a entry level car with low cost components. I hope yours don’t have any issue when getting close to 100k miles.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I doubt I will have problems...I don't tow heavy things and I take care of it...And most importantly, I don't expect too. I think engineers understand it's needs

·
Registered
13 Posts
It not the same cvt. I’m sure the one in crv can handle more torque and allowed towing. It is more robust than the ones in the hrv. HRV is a entry level car with low cost components. I hope yours don’t have any issue when getting close to 100k miles.
Wow ... I only saw a few of these prior to posting. Nissan had the same issue with their CVT transmissions and stepped up to extend the warranty on the transmissions to 120k. Not Honda ... I basically spoke to a customer service robot rep that kept repeating the same "I'm sorry, there is nothing we will do for you answer."

Do the math ... 2016 HRV - first year model was put on the road .... most people average 12k miles per year ... HRV transmission failure typically at 60k plus miles .... it wouldn't be a known issue ... so that is a very poor excuse not to offer any type if help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honda ain't what it used to be, but what is?
Nope ... it certainly isn't. At lease not with the HRV.

161 - 180 of 198 Posts