Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thought it was strange when Mazda released the CX-30 since they had a similar one in the CX-3. Guess now one will have the Tuebo option. Think many of us think the next version of the HRV will have the turbo option.

·
Super Moderator
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HRV will get a turbo for NA, but probably not over 200hp

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Now this is an intriguing option!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can see the HR-V getting Honda's P10A 1.0L turbocharged inline-3 that they use in other markets. I've always thought the HR-V was underpowered and that it needed at least the 2.0L naturally-aspirated engine used in the lower Civic trims. The 1.8L is getting long in the tooth having dated back to 2005. The P10A makes less HP (128 vs. 141), but more torque (148 vs. 127) than the 1.8L which should give it more of an effortless feel during acceleration. The 2.0L NA engine from the Civic makes 158 HP and 138 lb-ft of torque.

Mazda's 2.5L turbocharged engine is smooth and torquey and makes 310 lb-ft of torque at only 2,000 RPM. Power falls off above 5,000 RPM, so it's best to let the transmission upshift automatically or manually upshift well before the 6,300 RPM redline.

Mazda's "old" 6-speed automatic transmission put many newer transmission to shame with its DCT-like quickness, CVT-like smoothness, and manual-like directness if not quite the fuel economy afforded by more gear ratios.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The car is way too small. Also, the turbo will likely have a price starting at the low 30s. I don’t feel like this is a direct competitor price wise. There are better ways to spend low $30k...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The car is way too small. Also, the turbo will likely have a price starting at the low 30s. I don’t feel like this is a direct competitor price wise. There are better ways to spend low $30k...
For 2021, Mazda lowered the entry price for the 2.5T engine on the CX-5 from $36,235 to $31,760 by offering the 2.5T in a lower trim level. The CX-30 starts at over $3,000 less than the CX-5, so it's possible a CX-30 with a turbo will list for less than $30K.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
HRV will get a turbo for NA, but probably not over 200hp
It's not always about HP.
I know my Civic turbo with CVT really goes, because the car is so light.
Here's a nice video,
2020 Toyota Camry TRD vs Honda Accord vs Mazda6 // DRAG & ROLL RACE
Honda has the least HP, but see who wins!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts