Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
2019 HR-V Sport owner here. I bottomed out while coming off a curb recently. The only area to strike was the mid exhaust resonator on the right hand side. The bottom surface is caved in somewhat but nothing is punctured. No performance change, and no warning lights. No rattling or loose parts.

The only issue is the exhaust has gotten louder and deeper. Honestly, it sounds meaner, like some sort of exhaust mod. I assume it’s caused by the altered shape of the resonator. However it’s too loud for my liking and when accelerating it can drone on for a while.

I am wondering which other years of HR-V share the same exhaust system? Or if it is common with any of the other Honda Models?

I ask because I would like to replace this section of exhaust myself, if I can get my hands on the correct part. I’m all ears if anyone has any other suggestions to help revert back to a more stock sound.

Any feedback is appreciated.
dp

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you ask any reputable muffler shop. They can replace that for under $200. Unless you can cut metal and weld. Not much you can really do to replace it yourself.
I figured the whole assembly wouldn’t be too hard, the exhaust line ahead of it mates with a flange off the bottom of the catalyst if converter, and similar to the aft. Just three bolts on each flange. I think there is another anchor point right near this resonator, with rubber for vibration isolation.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The HRV is not a frequently modified car. For a civic, you can probably find plenty of stock exhausts for cheap or even free. But not a lot of people are changing exhaust on this basically a glorified commuter car with a little bit of height clearance. A stock exhaust from Honda (new) will be in the thousands. At that point, it’s pointless to do this yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"basically a glorified commuter car with a little bit of height clearance"
Thanks Pearlwhite01! This now explains the comment my wife made that I now walk like Quasimodo after my recent trip from Houston to Minneapolis and return in my HRV! ;) And calms my fears that I no longer have to worry about my grandson sneaking out to swap exhaust systems to make my HRV sound like a ricer or whatever these kids now days call a Honda or Toyota with those big screwy looking exhausts!

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
108 Posts
$814.00 CAD by the time I pay shipping, duty, and tax unfortunately 😅
At that price, I think I could get used to the additional noise.😖 What do ear plugs cost in Canada?
Just a thought...make sure that the exhaust hasn't gotten pushed up to where it is grounding out on the body or the metal of one of the hangers. That can transmit a lot of noise into the interior of the car. Seems strange that this dent would effect the noise level coming out the tail pipe. Get under there and shake the exhaust around on the hangers to see if it is making metal to metal contact anywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At that price, I think I could get used to the additional noise.😖 What do ear plugs cost in Canada?
Yes I might just get used to it. I’ll post a video if I can to show what it sounds like. It’s not horrible haha.

Unfortunately the shipping cost as much as the part, otherwise it would be a good route.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Since the exhaust note has changed, the exhaust resonator is damaged internally.
It may be restricting exhaust flow so I would not leave it as is.

This is the cheapest, simplest and permanent solution but the exhaust note will be louder:

There are lots of wrecked HRV's in autowreckers if u are ambitious.
You will require 2 new flange gaskets if you do replace the assembly.

Perhaps a longer, narrower aftermarket resonator welded in by a muffler shop would be a good solution for your needs.

Reactions: BungalowDyl

·
Registered
352 Posts
Amazon will deliver to a locker across the border fyi.

unfortunately many of the aftermarket resonators are not quite as good, that vibrant one is a decent option or you could simply use a muffler.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts