Honda HR-V Forum banner

Dasaita Android Head Unit Upgrade

110K views 284 replies 48 participants last post by  Dr. Toboggan 
#1 ·
UPDATE: The latest model now includes the USB adapter, has HDMI and the screen is 9” instead of 8” in size.

They advertise this unit as having full stock functionality with both cameras and features. I can happily say that it is exactly what they say it is. I have a lot to say so read carefully if you are considering purchasing this unit. Hopefully I can help.

Brief rundown:
All the cameras work and the unit even retains the MPG and trip mpg history features. The unit also adds some features like graphical door ajar indicators. Plug and play with some configuration through a password protected factory settings menu. (password is 126). Steering wheel buttons work and are programmable. This thing is LEGIT!

Cameras:

With a little configuration they both work just fine. The Lane Assist camera has the distance lines programmed in to it so they display automatically. The reversing camera settings include options to show trajectory as well as a distance ruler too.

To properly route the signal for the Lane Assist camera in a USDM HRV EX I had to do the following:
"GO to Settings >Car >Factory Setting (password 126) >Other >Customer Version >Version 2"

In "Settings >Car >Extra Settings >Reversing Volume >On" or set the reverse volume to the desired attenuation. Otherwise as configured by the factory the audio will cut out when the reverse or Lane Assist cameras are active.

(The "Factory Setting" menu has a lot of other configurable options that are vehicle specific. Password: 126)

Installation:
The Dasaita is plug and play with a little common sense. Huge bundle of wires that will need to be zip tied and kept tidy, perhaps wrapped in foam to prevent rattling. Two harnesses did not plug in to anything, one with two green wires and a large gray plug and the other was a small blue DA plug (confirmed not needed by support rep.)

The dash trim pulls off easily and only 3 bolts hold the stock unit in to the dash. My first go around has me thinking that the new unit is intended to simply pressure fit in to the cavity where the original stereo came out. The original stereo's metal cage didn't fit the new Dasaita unit but I would prefer that it did. The Dasaita gets quite hot to the touch after a short period and a metal heatsink to the chassis would be preferred. I may end up installing a small fan to cool the unit.

GPS antenna: Even though my HRV is only an EX it still had a GPS antenna installed. It was directly above the stereo unit on a metal bracket with a short pigtail cable. I removed the original antenna from the bracket and installed the new Dasaita antenna in it's place. This worked out great and I had no trouble getting a fast and accurate GPS lock with google maps.

WiFi: get a bigger WiFi antenna. It made a big difference in speed and reception after I swapped it for one I had lying around. You either need an SMA Male Connector antenna or do what I did and cut a piece of short solid core wire to act as the center pin. MOST wifi antennas are SMA FEMALE so you won't likely have a Male one lying around.

USB: Included, but not shown in the product description, is one adapter labeled "Toyota usb adapter" which allows you to connect one of the units usb ports to the stock HRV under dash ports. Do yourself a favor and order a second one from Amazon to connect the second port. It won't fit perfectly but if you double check the orientation and just cram the plugs together it will work. Tested and verified.

HDMI: there is no HDMI, so the mostly useless port under your center console will be nonfunctional. I would be interested to see If one could obtain an additional USB port for this location to better utilize the Dasaita's third usb connection.

Speed and Responsiveness:
The specs seem to be true to the user experience, it is very responsive, fastest Android device I have ever owned. But then again I generally own 2+ year old phones anyway.

Sound quality:
Let me preface this by disclosing that I am an audio engineer and have spent the better part of a decade performing modifications to audio equipment to improve the audio path and quality on a commercial level. I have a very discerning ear, but I don't buy crazy expensive HI-FI equipment due to my practical nature and the law of diminishing returns. Great sound quality can be achieved without breaking the bank. Additionally, I have already upgraded the speakers in my HRV so I am getting the full benefits of a new headunit.

With the exception of Bluetooth (see below), the audio quality is where the unit has proven itself to me. The stock stereo has some terrible equalization profile applied to the audio at all times or the analog audio path consists of junk components. Having only has bass and treble controls you cannot correct the crappy audio quality in the stock hrv headunit. The Dasaita unit has a 9 point graphical EQ that can be set completely flat and is fairly transparent when cutting and boosting frequencies. My advice would be to mostly cut, not boost. For example if you want more bass, don't turn the bass up, turn the trebel down. This helps with headroom and Dynamics. I think that the unit produces great sounding audio to the speakers through the internal amplifier. However, like most internal amplifiers, the headroom leaves much to be desired. When you start turning up the volume to where the music gets "loud" the dynamic range is compressed and eventually starts to distort. This is true of most internal amplifiers of car head units. The great thing is that the Dasaita has proper front and rear RCA outputs for attaching a 4 channel amp and sub. I will likely install an amp down the road but the audio quality of the Dasaita will get me by until then for sure! The noise floor is a little bit higher than I would like, but only really a slight hiss that is noticeable when sitting still, when the car is in motion it is mostly masked by road noise. I guess I will find out down the road if this is the audio path or amplifier noise floor.

Bluetooth audio: I have not yet tested this unit with another Bluetooth audio device, but with my stock HTC One M8 the bluetooth audio streaming quality was COMPLETE GARBAGE! Unlistenable amounts of noise, crackles and distortion. Update: tested with an iPhone, same result. I will try different software.. So far this is my only gripe.

Software:
This is straight up ANDROID IN YOUR DASH! No restrictions, any app any time.
The stock music player is basically a proof of concept player. Download a better one ASAP.
The unit came preloaded with iGo Navigation which loaded up with French as the default language. I haven't put any time in to using this application because when I need to navigate I use Google Maps then Sygic Maps then Sygic Car Navigation (in that order of preference).
The stock launcher is junk but they do include a full licensed version of "Car Launcher AG" and I quite like it! Once configured it is a great dashboard interface.

Screen:
The 8" screen almost fills the entire opening on the dash, this is GLORIOUS! No more black bar around the screen! The screen is recessed in to the dash trim by a gloss black bezel. I get the impression that the angle was designed for right hand drive vehicles but it looks nice and clean. The color and contrast of the screen is great, so much better than stock.

Phone integration:
The provided apps and settings allow for making phone calls over bluetooth, but I haven't done much more than make a test call to check my voicemail.

I haven't spent a ton of time using the new unit so I may report back with updates as I become more familiar.
I would recommend this to anybody with an HRV and enough confidence to install it. VERY MUCH WORTH IT.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey thanks for this writeup. It all sounds leaps and bounds better than the stock headunit. I don't use bluetooth for much so that's no issue for me but will be for some people. Did you order from Aliexpress or directly from the Dasaita website? Also, could you provide an amazon link to the adapter you're talking about?

As for the hdmi replacement I believe it would be a straight swap with a usb plug. The part from honda new is about 45 dollars but this would be a good thing to go to a junkyard and grab.

#4 ·
I purchased through AliExpress. They asked for photos of the stock dashand rear of the headunit and connectors. (I just found a photo of one on eBay for the rear/connector photo. The model number is on the front upper right of the stock unit.)

I contacted the manufacturer directly through the AliExpress messaging system to get the Lane Assist camera configured. There was a bit of a language barrier but the support rep was very helpful.

this is the USB adapter I ordered I haven't actually received it yet but it looks the same as the one that was included. I will report back on this as well.

eBay may be my source for a used USB. Or perhaps it is a standard Honda switch/accessory hole size and a generic one will work. Hmmm...

#13 ·
Excellent writeup, I'd be interested if the company responds to a question on Bluetooth distortion. That's a deal breaker for me, pretty much the only thing I use on my unit.

I'm amazed it keeps the fuel mileage thing!

#18 ·
Some people have mentioned that part of the bad video quality on the oem camera system was due to the low resolution on the head unit.
You wrote that the color and contrast on this unit look a lot better than the OEM head unit. Does it change the camera video quality or is it the same?

#20 ·
It does help some, it certainly does look better but we are dealing with a SD resolution camera here so don't expect much improvement. Because the screen has higher contrast the rear and side camera display a bit darker than the stock unit. Fortunately for the reverse camera there is a setting in the settings (possibly in the password protected "Factory" section, I can't recall exactly) that allow you to adjust the brightness. I have not found such a setting for the side camera but I haven't found it to be a problem at all, just different.

#22 ·
I haven't done much to explore the bluetooth side of things. I am happy that the cameras work and I have HIGH QUALITY AUDIO in my car now. SECOND, I have a HUGE navigation screen with no restrictions. This thing is great.

Reactions: Phalkon30
#23 ·
Mine arrived a few days ago and I installed it yesterday. It's amazing how flexible it is. Don't like the nav that shipped with the unit? No problem, just head to the app store. Don't like the music player that came with the unit? No problem head to the app store. Don't like the launcher? Head to the app store. Sound quality between it and stock headunit is night and day. I had already upgraded the speakers. They did make an improvement in clarity for sure but the sound felt gutted.

#28 ·
I'm new on this forum, sorry i'm french...
I have installed the same Dasaita on my HRV last week (your discussions have decided me...) and have a special troubleshooting: each time i put Right Turn Signal (not left) screen comming black with yellow warning on the center, sound closing and sometimes app i'm using.
Does anyone ever knows something about that ? problem with canbus parameters, or something else ? ( no informations in Dasaita aliexpress help)

#31 ·
Installation issues

Hello, i just bought this model Android 8.0 car Built-in GPS for Honda Vezel HR-V HRV 2015 2016 2017 with 8" Display Octa Core 32GB ROM auto Stereo Multimedia from aliexpress and i have a honda vezel rs 2016 and right hand driven. However when i try install the unit, i am some issue as i can't close the cover in the dashboard that had to be removed for installing. i contacted the seller and he told me that the model should fit and others have been able to install it. Anyone who has already installed this model on a right hand driven honda vezel rs could help me will be very grateful.

#35 ·
Hello, i just bought this model Android 8.0 car Built-in GPS for Honda Vezel HR-V HRV 2015 2016 2017 with 8" Display Octa Core 32GB ROM auto Stereo Multimedia from aliexpress and i have a honda vezel rs 2016 and right hand driven. However when i try install the unit, i am some issue as i can't close the cover in the dashboard that had to be removed for installing. i contacted the seller and he told me that the model should fit and others have been able to install it. Anyone who has already installed this model on a right hand driven honda vezel rs could help me will be very grateful.
I had to not use any bolts to fasten the unit to the dash. The dash cover holds it in.

#34 ·
The GPS maps that is included uses preloaded maps, but to be honest it isn't that great. I use Sygic when I need offline maps, and Google Maps tethered to my phone when I need a quick search and go situation. You can cache google maps via wifi if you need to, but they require updates every so often.

#36 ·
I recently bought this setup but its not quite what I wanted! All I was really looking for was a head unit to plug my phone into and have Android Auto with real-time traffic, but this seems to do just about everything possible EXCEPT that. As such, if anyone is interested, I am looking to sell this head unit with the Carplay USB dongle. All like new condition, still has the plastic protection on the screen. Paid just shy of $450 for both, will sell for $350. Figured I'd try here before posting on ebay.

If this belongs somewhere else please let me know, the "classifieds" link doesn't work anymore! Thanks!

#37 ·
Hi .. Nice write with all details .. I have a Dasaita Unit without canbus. I am planning to buy a canbus since my Call Answer/Disconnect buttons are not working. Can you please tell me what is the CANBUS model should I choose in the Settings .. I see many car models in there ?

#38 ·
I just received the head unit aftermarket. I ordered the Honda connector, but it was different from my HR-V. So, if someone can assist me in connecting the wire so it can work with my car.

*My factory connector:

*Dasaita Head Unit connector come with:

*Wiring diagram from Dasaita Head Unit:

Attachments

#39 ·
Did you try downloading the service manual?

Thanks for sharing. I can't seem to download it or even get it to load completely on my phone or laptop. They're both pretty quick and so is my internet. It hangs on chrome and Microsoft edge browsers on the PC and Opera browser on my phone.
The reddit post has a link from google drive too.

Now, to find one for the 2019+.
In reference to:

Found a PDF service manual on Reddit, and it looks like it does require the HDS to put it in maintenance mode. From the way it sounds, though all maintenance mode does is use the EPB module to fully release the pressure from the caliper rather than doing it manually with the module removed. If done manually, it also recommends you replace the two mounting screws and the o-ring when reattaching. To adjust the EPB, apply the parking brake, press the pedal down, and the release it.

Here's a link to the Reddit thread with the PDF:
Rear brake procedure starts on pg 1435
That is... assuming the post above, by KhangTran476, isn't a "one-hit-wonder."

#40 ·
Dasaita (hot-audio.com) HA5248-V840-8
8" Android 8.0 radio upgrade

They advertise this unit as having full stock functionality with both cameras and features. I can happily say that it is exactly what they say it is. I have a lot to say so read carefully if you are considering purchasing this unit. Hopefully I can help.

Brief rundown:
All the cameras work and the unit even retains the MPG and trip mpg history features. The unit also adds some features like graphical door ajar indicators. Plug and play with some configuration through a password protected factory settings menu. (password is 126). Steering wheel buttons work and are programmable. This thing is LEGIT!

Cameras:

With a little configuration they both work just fine. The Lane Assist camera has the distance lines programmed in to it so they display automatically. The reversing camera settings include options to show trajectory as well as a distance ruler too.

To properly route the signal for the Lane Assist camera in a USDM HRV EX I had to do the following:
"GO to Settings >Car >Factory Setting (password 126) >Other >Customer Version >Version 2"

In "Settings >Car >Extra Settings >Reversing Volume >On" or set the reverse volume to the desired attenuation. Otherwise as configured by the factory the audio will cut out when the reverse or Lane Assist cameras are active.

(The "Factory Setting" menu has a lot of other configurable options that are vehicle specific. Password: 126)

Installation:
The Dasaita is plug and play with a little common sense. Huge bundle of wires that will need to be zip tied and kept tidy, perhaps wrapped in foam to prevent rattling. Two harnesses did not plug in to anything, one with two green wires and a large gray plug and the other was a small blue DA plug (confirmed not needed by support rep.)

The dash trim pulls off easily and only 3 bolts hold the stock unit in to the dash. My first go around has me thinking that the new unit is intended to simply pressure fit in to the cavity where the original stereo came out. The original stereo's metal cage didn't fit the new Dasaita unit but I would prefer that it did. The Dasaita gets quite hot to the touch after a short period and a metal heatsink to the chassis would be preferred. I may end up installing a small fan to cool the unit.

GPS antenna: Even though my HRV is only an EX it still had a GPS antenna installed. It was directly above the stereo unit on a metal bracket with a short pigtail cable. I removed the original antenna from the bracket and installed the new Dasaita antenna in it's place. This worked out great and I had no trouble getting a fast and accurate GPS lock with google maps.

WiFi: get a bigger WiFi antenna. It made a big difference in speed and reception after I swapped it for one I had lying around. You either need an SMA Male Connector antenna or do what I did and cut a piece of short solid core wire to act as the center pin. MOST wifi antennas are SMA FEMALE so you won't likely have a Male one lying around.

USB: Included, but not shown in the product description, is one adapter labeled "Toyota usb adapter" which allows you to connect one of the units usb ports to the stock HRV under dash ports. Do yourself a favor and order a second one from Amazon to connect the second port. It won't fit perfectly but if you double check the orientation and just cram the plugs together it will work. Tested and verified.

HDMI: there is no HDMI, so the mostly useless port under your center console will be nonfunctional. I would be interested to see If one could obtain an additional USB port for this location to better utilize the Dasaita's third usb connection.

Speed and Responsiveness:
The specs seem to be true to the user experience, it is very responsive, fastest Android device I have ever owned. But then again I generally own 2+ year old phones anyway.

Sound quality:
Let me preface this by disclosing that I am an audio engineer and have spent the better part of a decade performing modifications to audio equipment to improve the audio path and quality on a commercial level. I have a very discerning ear, but I don't buy crazy expensive HI-FI equipment due to my practical nature and the law of diminishing returns. Great sound quality can be achieved without breaking the bank. Additionally, I have already upgraded the speakers in my HRV so I am getting the full benefits of a new headunit.

With the exception of Bluetooth (see below), the audio quality is where the unit has proven itself to me. The stock stereo has some terrible equalization profile applied to the audio at all times or the analog audio path consists of junk components. Having only has bass and treble controls you cannot correct the crappy audio quality in the stock hrv headunit. The Dasaita unit has a 9 point graphical EQ that can be set completely flat and is fairly transparent when cutting and boosting frequencies. My advice would be to mostly cut, not boost. For example if you want more bass, don't turn the bass up, turn the trebel down. This helps with headroom and Dynamics. I think that the unit produces great sounding audio to the speakers through the internal amplifier. However, like most internal amplifiers, the headroom leaves much to be desired. When you start turning up the volume to where the music gets "loud" the dynamic range is compressed and eventually starts to distort. This is true of most internal amplifiers of car head units. The great thing is that the Dasaita has proper front and rear RCA outputs for attaching a 4 channel amp and sub. I will likely install an amp down the road but the audio quality of the Dasaita will get me by until then for sure! The noise floor is a little bit higher than I would like, but only really a slight hiss that is noticeable when sitting still, when the car is in motion it is mostly masked by road noise. I guess I will find out down the road if this is the audio path or amplifier noise floor.

Bluetooth audio: I have not yet tested this unit with another Bluetooth audio device, but with my stock HTC One M8 the bluetooth audio streaming quality was COMPLETE GARBAGE! Unlistenable amounts of noise, crackles and distortion. Update: tested with an iPhone, same result. I will try different software.. So far this is my only gripe.

Software:
This is straight up ANDROID IN YOUR DASH! No restrictions, any app any time.
The stock music player is basically a proof of concept player. Download a better one ASAP.
The unit came preloaded with iGo Navigation which loaded up with French as the default language. I haven't put any time in to using this application because when I need to navigate I use Google Maps then Sygic Maps then Sygic Car Navigation (in that order of preference).
The stock launcher is junk but they do include a full licensed version of "Car Launcher AG" and I quite like it! Once configured it is a great dashboard interface.

Screen:
The 8" screen almost fills the entire opening on the dash, this is GLORIOUS! No more black bar around the screen! The screen is recessed in to the dash trim by a gloss black bezel. I get the impression that the angle was designed for right hand drive vehicles but it looks nice and clean. The color and contrast of the screen is great, so much better than stock.

Phone integration:
The provided apps and settings allow for making phone calls over bluetooth, but I haven't done much more than make a test call to check my voicemail.

I haven't spent a ton of time using the new unit so I may report back with updates as I become more familiar.
I would recommend this to anybody with an HRV and enough confidence to install it. VERY MUCH WORTH IT.
Hey amazingly informative review i been wanting to upgrade my headunit in my 18 hrv exl ,hey you seem beyond knowledgeable i started with just adding few subs n amps in mine with factory unit it sounds great but I got that problem many deal with i got that annoying engine hum coming from subs i checked n rechecked all my wires added noise filters to unline rca's still there i going crazy trying to find out were it stems from i research every one says ground so I even installed new one different location same thing ,hey iam at my witts end I could really really appreciate any help or advice you can offer, PLEASE HELP, Dave, you can email me here or at tatzz65@aol.com thanks

#44 ·
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask if someone happens to have a copy of the wiring diagram for the 2017 OEM headunit? I bought the latest dasaita head unit for our 2020 hrv middle east version but it seems to be not fully compatible yet. I'm trying to rebuild the harness to make the factory multiangle camera work and fix the steering wheel controls as well but I can't find a copy of wiring diagram for the 2017 model. Seller is trying to sort it out but is very slow to respond...

#45 ·
Hello. I have the same issue. Bought a double din Android but couldn’t get the OEM camera to work. So I had to replace the camera with an aftermarket one because the cable couldn’t match. Also couldn’t get the canbus to work. Please let me know if you manage to fix yours. For info, I had to buy another harness for my HRV 2019 (Saudi). The one that came with the Android was not compatible.

#46 ·
@Vitreous86

Please take note that my unit is the 1din dasaita px6 for HRV. The seller had to send me a modified wiring harness as the plugs that came with the unit wasn't compatible with my factory plugs. I managed to make it work somehow after doing some rewiring and tinkering with canbus settings. Factory camera now works as advertised with 4 angles now as opposed to 3 angles using factory headunit. I'm still having problems with the steering audio controls as it only works properly when the park/headlights are on. Still waiting for the seller for some other input but for now my unit works as intended.

#54 ·
I managed to make it work somehow after doing some rewiring and tinkering with canbus settings. Factory camera now works as advertised with 4 angles now as opposed to 3 angles using factory headunit.
Hello, can you be more specific about how you got the rear camera to work in your 2020 please. I installed mine today and everything works except the reverse camera.

#47 ·
I am now considering this head unit (after the Maxca copy at half the price didn't work in my 2020, see my thread). I've sent them a message via eBay about 2020 fitment and am waiting for a reply. Does anyone have a link to the Aliexpress webpage to buy?