Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just to give you a run through of the issues and the "resolution" thus far on my last two weeks in my 2018 HRV.

I'd set off to head to work on Tuesday 11th January and after about 20 or 30 feet my cars dash lit up something fierce. I stopped the car and powered it off, making sure to leave it a few seconds and turned it back on but all the lights came back instantly. Tried this again a couple times but couldn't sit and deal with it as I was already running a few minutes late for work.

I'd been able to drive to work for that week and had already rang my local dealership to get the car booked in for checks. I'd checked the battery, alternator and fuses but couldn't locate any issues.

The lights I had are as follows:
ABS
VSA
Hill Start
Electric Parking Brake
Electric Power Steering
Automatic Light Control
Tyre Pressure Monitoring
Collision Mitigation Braking
Lane Departure Mitigation
City-Brake Active System (CTBA)
Brake System Indicator

As well as server others I can't find in the handbook for my 2018 model.

I'd been using the car up until Sunday 16th of January as nothing prevented me from driving the car until that day when the car went into Limp Home Mode. I dropped the car off the following day as that had been when it was booked in for and it has been with them since.

They've spent 10+ Hours of which only charging me for 4 Hours and they've supposedly checked everything and only just recently found a cable that was a "clean cut" running from back right to front right of the car. They've reconnected this cable and it has supposedly got rid of all but 3 lights.

I can't fully remember the lights but the car is supposedly out of Limp Home Mode but I'm not comfy taking the car and paying while it is still faulty in a sense. I've been speaking to Honda UK directly as I don't believe a 3 year car that has only just come out of warranty both age and mileage wise should fail quite this hard especially when it has been treated with respect (bar cleaning it I've missed this the past few months out of sheer laziness.

I'm hoping someone has experienced something similar and could offer some sound advice. My current go to is to go and collect the car paying the fee's and taking it elsewhere as the Honda dealership hasn't filled me with the most confidence and I hate to say that my most recent experience with another 2 dealerships are making me question if I want to keep driving Honda's or do I pack it up and go with an alternative manufacturer. I've drive and ridden Honda's for the last decade and I'd hate to throw this all away because of the potential lack of customer care.

Any hints or suggestions will be appreciated. Hoping we can get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,303 Posts
What fault codes, if any, did they get?

What was the cable they stated had been cut, and can they explain how it came to have been cut: by bodywork, road debris, malicious?

Have you had any battery issues prior to this? Do you have a faulty battery? I had the Xmas Tree situation recently when I accidently flattened the battery, but I also got rapid clicking from the dash and the headlights went all strobey.

Have you recently had any work carried out on your vehicle; dash cam installation, aftermarket add-ons?

Get an independent inspection carried out to see if they can narrow the fault

Regardless of the whether you get an independent inspection or not, or they find something in your favour, escalate the situation with HUK. Only contact them via printable means: emails and recorded delivery correspondence. This avoids unverified 'he said/she said' situations when using verbal communication. If they do contact you by telephone, follow it up with an email: 'further to your telephone conversation where you stated', that way you have record of it. - No paper, no trail!

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
403 Posts
Have you had any battery issues prior to this? Do you have a faulty battery?
At this point, I'd have the battery LOAD TESTED and the electrolyte checked. A weak battery (or a loose connection at the battery terminals) can cause those indicators to show for a few miles, while the electronic systems 're-calibrate' due to intermittent low voltage.

I'd love to see a picture (or part reference) for the loose cable they found. Just so that I can check it during routine maintenance.

Reactions: AfishH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Quick update.

Honda UK was unfortunately extremely unhelpful. They've told me to basically deal with it so that is great.

The cut cable ran from behind the drives seat in the trim between the rear seat and the door. The service manager told me it was a bundle of wires that contained probably about 30 cables that had all been cut perfectly. He wouldn't supply me with photos so I may look at taking the trim off myself and checking it out.

I've collected the car and unfortunately 10 hours of work hasn't made any difference so I'm out of pocket and stuck with a car that will not go above 10mph unless I'm going downhill.

I'm trying to get all the warning lights to turn off so I can do a trade. I'm exhausted with this Honda HRV and as a result of such a horrible experience it is leading me on the path of moving to a whole new manufacturer which is unfortunate.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,303 Posts
How long have you owned the vehicle?

Pretty shoddy of the dealership not to provide you with either a video or photographs of the cut cables, considering that is what they are claiming is the issue.

Have they quoted you a price to repair the damaged?

I know I'm stating the obvious, but if the cable is behind trim, someone would have to remove that trim to get access to it, so it is not something that could be done quickly or easily?

You haven't said if you have had work carried out on your vehicle roughly around when the issue started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi,

Further update to go over everything.

I've owned the vehicle since August 2019 of which the vehicle was already a year old.

The dealership had repaired the damaged wire free of charge as they believed that this was the cause but unfortunately it wasn't the case. I had a look at taking the trim off and it is a bit of a nightmare to get it all off and get to the cable so I believe that this has probably been the issue since the beginning and it isn't anything to worry about. I think the cut cable may have been to do with my fog light so I would need to check to see if it is working again.

I've done some work on the vehicle myself and found that after disconnecting the ECM and connecting it back up the majority of warning lights actually disappear. I'm left with the following lights:
Tyre Pressure Warning
VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist)
Brake Hold (Only shows up when you try to activate it).

Everything else is working perfectly fine. I decided to load the car full of cardboard that needed to be recycled and hit the recycling centre down the road. After driving maybe 100 yards or so the engine warning light and a couple other lights came on one of which is the parking brake light but it still actually works when you engage it.

I drove the car down dropped the stuff off keeping the ignition on just to avoid it going back into limp mode and then drove home after finishing. Just before I got back to my house I turned the car off and back on, I found that it failed trying to turn the car over when I first tried to start it but when I tried again the second time it started and went on fine without going back into limp mode.

I'm confident that the fault is related to the ECM which would need to be replaced at £1500 which I unfortunately do not have. I'm attempting to get back in touch with Honda UK of which I'm going to see if I'd be allowed a test ECM to be delivered to the dealership to test with. If this confirms the fault lies with the ECM then I'll be happy to pay full price to have it swapped but after I'm most likely going to swap it for a Civic or look at going to a different manufacturer.

The fact that Honda UK is unwilling to help without the garage first diagnosing the issue and that they direct me to the Motor Ombudsmen is quite upsetting.

(Edit - Owned the vehicle since)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi,

Further update to go over everything.

I've owned the vehicle since August 2019 of which the vehicle was already a year old.

The dealership had repaired the damaged wire free of charge as they believed that this was the cause but unfortunately it wasn't the case. I had a look at taking the trim off and it is a bit of a nightmare to get it all off and get to the cable so I believe that this has probably been the issue since the beginning and it isn't anything to worry about. I think the cut cable may have been to do with my fog light so I would need to check to see if it is working again.

I've done some work on the vehicle myself and found that after disconnecting the ECM and connecting it back up the majority of warning lights actually disappear. I'm left with the following lights:
Tyre Pressure Warning
Brake Hold (Only shows up when you try to activate it).

Everything else is working perfectly fine. I decided to load the car full of cardboard that needed to be recycled and hit the recycling centre down the road. After driving maybe 100 yards or so the engine warning light and a couple other lights came on one of which is the parking brake light but it still actually works when you engage it.

I drove the car down dropped the stuff off keeping the ignition on just to avoid it going back into limp mode and then drove home after finishing. Just before I got back to my house I turned the car off and back on, I found that it failed trying to turn the car over when I first tried to start it but when I tried again the second time it started and went on fine without going back into limp mode.

I'm confident that the fault is related to the ECM which would need to be replaced at £1500 which I unfortunately do not have. I'm attempting to get back in touch with Honda UK of which I'm going to see if I'd be allowed a test ECM to be delivered to the dealership to test with. If this confirms the fault lies with the ECM then I'll be happy to pay full price to have it swapped but after I'm most likely going to swap it for a Civic or look at going to a different manufacturer.

The fact that Honda UK is unwilling to help without the garage first diagnosing the issue and that they direct me to the Motor Ombudsmen is quite upsetting.

(Edit - Owned the vehicle since)
Just a thought…did you ever get the start button taken care of when the unofficial recall was received? That may be the problem, but I’m definitely not an expert. I think I read that someone had the same issue before having that serviced. 🤔

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2020 AWD Sport. No push button start.

A few days ago, my dash well lit like a tree. No issues driving. Within about 10 miles it all turned off at the same time. Ran it on a computer diagnostic... showed several faults in the memory mainly around the AWD module. It independently checked out good... Since it reset itself and we cleared the memory there have been NO issues in the last 200 miles.

I have NO idea why it happened... waiting to see if it re-occurs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Further update.

Since I collected my car and paid I decided to do some work on it myself on that day.

I ended up contacting a ECM Repairs company and was talking to them about my issue and he informed me it was a BCM problem not ECM.

After doing some research I found where the BCM was and disconnected it. After connecting it back up all my faults are back down to the following:
Tyre Pressure Warning
Brake Hold (Doesn't activate)

Also to note my ABS Light isn't active but when attempting to emergency brake to activate it, it doesn't.

I'm looking at a faulty wheel sensor I just need to locate where they are and disconnect them to confirm which is fault. After that I can contact a dealership and have my sensor replaced and then move onto talking to the dealer principle about the lack of work that garage had done on my vehicle. The fact I can spend half the time they did on the car and get it into a better state than them is unbelievable.

I'll make sure to keep this post updated. If anyone has some photos where these sensors are to speed up my process I'd appreciate it. Google isn't very helpful when it comes to finding things like that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any modern car is so complicated, mechanically and electronically, that they are a throw away item when you get a bit beyond the regular service items.

Worse, these economy SUVs are commodity items, and are made with every possible savings in mind, for the manufacturer.

The days of trying to make a really good long lasting products are in the distant past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.

22 Days on and my issue is still present. My TMPS Light now flashes when the car is started and it is consistently stuck in limp mode.

I fear I may have to take the car back to the dealer that charged me £500 and got no where and spend a hell of a lot of money to get it resolved.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Update.

22 Days on and my issue is still present. My TMPS Light now flashes when the car is started and it is consistently stuck in limp mode.

I fear I may have to take the car back to the dealer that charged me £500 and got no where and spend a hell of a lot of money to get it resolved.
By all means, please don’t go to a dealer! They just overcharge for any & everything! I’d ask around in your group of friends for a good mechanic recommendation. It could be something as simple as a sensor. Good luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
But sadly it is the Dealers who can afford to buy the expensive equipment to diagnose and work on so many items these days as vehicles are expensive computers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But sadly it is the Dealers who can afford to buy the expensive equipment to diagnose and work on so many items these days as vehicles are expensive computers.
In regards to this the dealer has spent 10 hours and gotten no where. Honda UK are absolutely zero help so I've taken to contacting American Honda Motor Co which surprisingly seem more than happy to help as much as they can. It seems Honda in the UK doesn't give a rats behind but anytime I've gotten assistance in relation to this it notably comes from America... lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! This sounds very similar to problems we began having around February 2022. Sometimes (not always) when the car is parked- no key fob anywhere near it- the dash lights and relays start clicking and blinking in random patterns. If the car is locked, the alarm will usually start going off when this happens. Also if the lights were set in Automatic, they sometimes come on and drain the battery if we don't see it happening. The car is drivable- when on and driving everything seems to behave normally.

For now, the car remains in our garage with the battery disconnected. Luckily we have other ways of getting around.

We have:
1. Taken it to a Honda dealer and had them look at it while we were getting the start button replaced under warranty. They said the codes said something about the dash mounted sunlight sensor not connecting with the Gauge Control Module (the whole dash unit containing the gauges and odometer). So they replaced the sensor. It didn't stop the problem.
2. We had the battery replaced with a brand new one. It did not stop the problem.
3. We had our Honda trained mechanics (not the dealer) replace the Gauge Control Module. It didn't stop the problem.
4. Next we had our mechanics replace the under dash Fuse Box Assembly which controls all of the wiring harnesses. It didn't stop the problem.

Our mechanics are stumped- we have used them for more than 10 years and we really respect them. They suggested we write American Honda directly, and we have done so by email about 1 week ago. I have a Case number from my email but have heard nothing else.

I do have one other thing for you all to see- a video of this actually happening. I will place the link to my Dropbox so you can see it. All the noises you hear and lights you see are from the HR-V itself- I am just sitting in the seat. We really hope this can be fixed. We have really enjoyed the car otherwise.

Here's the link to the video. Any ideas on how to fix this are greatly appreciated.
Honda HR-V dash video.mp4

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! This sounds very similar to problems we began having around February 2022. Sometimes (not always) when the car is parked- no key fob anywhere near it- the dash lights and relays start clicking and blinking in random patterns. If the car is locked, the alarm will usually start going off when this happens. Also if the lights were set in Automatic, they sometimes come on and drain the battery if we don't see it happening. The car is drivable- when on and driving everything seems to behave normally.

For now, the car remains in our garage with the battery disconnected. Luckily we have other ways of getting around.

We have:
1. Taken it to a Honda dealer and had them look at it while we were getting the start button replaced under warranty. They said the codes said something about the dash mounted sunlight sensor not connecting with the Gauge Control Module (the whole dash unit containing the gauges and odometer). So they replaced the sensor. It didn't stop the problem.
2. We had the battery replaced with a brand new one. It did not stop the problem.
3. We had our Honda trained mechanics (not the dealer) replace the Gauge Control Module. It didn't stop the problem.
4. Next we had our mechanics replace the under dash Fuse Box Assembly which controls all of the wiring harnesses. It didn't stop the problem.

Our mechanics are stumped- we have used them for more than 10 years and we really respect them. They suggested we write American Honda directly, and we have done so by email about 1 week ago. I have a Case number from my email but have heard nothing else.

I do have one other thing for you all to see- a video of this actually happening. I will place the link to my Dropbox so you can see it. All the noises you hear and lights you see are from the HR-V itself- I am just sitting in the seat. We really hope this can be fixed. We have really enjoyed the car otherwise.

Here's the link to the video. Any ideas on how to fix this are greatly appreciated.

Mark
Do you all think I should enter this as a separate problem?

·
Registered
647 Posts

We have:

Mark
That is crazy.

What year and model HRV?

I recommend to log any DTC's like a hawk.
Plus I would install some kind of in cabin voltmeter and monitor battery voltage like a hawk.

I would want to know what the battery voltage reading is at the time of failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is crazy.

What year and model HRV?

I recommend to log any DTC's like a hawk.
Plus I would install some kind of in cabin voltmeter and monitor battery voltage like a hawk.

I would want to know what the battery voltage reading is at the time of failure.

2018 HR-V EX 2WD.
It isn't throwing DTCs. Our mechanics and the Dealer say they don't see anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts