Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to some help from some knowledgable members :)I finally completed my installation and hardwiring of my radar and dashcam with rear camera. I wanted to share my pics and hope this will help others who may be doing this for the first time. (I am not an auto mechanic, but this similar technique has worked for me on my past 5 cars). I wanted a couple extra photos of the trunk panels removed, but I forgot to shoot the photos before putting things back together!

To be honest the hardest part was finding a ground screw for the wires!?!? I couldn't find one that my hands or tools could reach easily, (so after 2 hours with my head under the dash) I put in my own after opening the side dash panel. Routing the cables takes about 15 minutes and doing the trunk and wire boot took about 30 minutes, but then 1 hour to put the rear seatbelt cover back on with all the clips aligned.

Sorry these are not complete detailed instructions, but a guide. I (and I'm sure more experienced members) will try to answer any questions. Oh, and I had no idea how to post a thumbnail gallery of these images so you will have to scroll through them.:confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice, thanks for the pictures. I've been too lazy to wire my dash cam cable, it just dangles to the side. I accidently snapped the cable last week so I have another one on order from Amazon for $20. I've seen the Rexing V1 now packaged with that rear camera. Is it good in your opinion? I may just pick up another V1 for the rear and power it out of the 12v in the back seat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Once you figure out where to ground your wire it only takes about 10 minutes to run the cables. Those door seals just pull off and push right back on.

I wasn't planing on getting the rear camera, but for $30 I figured it was a little extra insurance. The resolution is really low (VGA 640x480), I believe, and many reviews show that even license plate numbers are NOT legible. It's more for the proof of were you backing up or did the person rear end you. Anyway, getting a 2nd cam would be my future choice (or spending more for the higher end cams with HD rear cameras?), except the HR-V rear window is a little small and even my little rear cam is quite visible in my rear view mirror. It was a little distracting for about 2 days, but then I stopped noticing it. At night I don't see it at all. However, putting a full Rexing V1 back there might not be so easy to ignore, although it might be better to mount it on the bottom edge of the window? You should definitely place yours back there with some masking tape or something just to check it out before making the investment.

Oh, actually after the fact I realized that a good spot to test is placing the rear cam behind the hump of the center rear seatbelt storage area. Meaning looking through your rear view mirror put a marker on the rear window to find the spot that's blocked by this hump on the headliner. It's off center, but those cameras are so wide angle that it wouldn't matter. That hump can block about half the camera and make it less noticeable when looking back through the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thinking on purchasing a unit to connect to the 12V (not hard wired) .Planning on going to the passenger door From what I read you can tuck the wires under the headliner: then down the A pillar frame and under the door seal. The wires can either attach under the glove box or under floor mats. Does the A frame cover needs to removed or just tuck them in. Can the wires get in the way of side air bags? At what spot is best to start to remove the door seal.TIA

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking on purchasing a unit to connect to the 12V (not hard wired) .Planning on going to the passenger door From what I read you can tuck the wires under the headliner: then down the A pillar frame and under the door seal. The wires can either attach under the glove box or under floor mats. Does the A frame cover needs to removed or just tuck them in. Can the wires get in the way of side air bags? At what spot is best to start to remove the door seal.TIA
The wires easily tuck into the headliner (even with your fingers). The A pilar cover does not need to come off - just tuck the wire like the photo that says "Top Windshield" in red. A flat head screwdriver or trim tool does the trick. Then just go down the door seal as you said. The rest of your plan is unknown territory for me, but sounds good:) The door seal can be pulled from anywhere, but you might as well start at the top - you will be surprised how easy it comes off and goes right back into place.

Good luck !

·
Registered
194 Posts
Haven't installed a rear camera yet but I'd be most interested in having one clearly visible to anyone coming up from behind as a deterrence to their getting too close.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't installed a rear camera yet but I'd be most interested in having one clearly visible to anyone coming up from behind as a deterrence to their getting too close.
I found that putting the camera where it is highly visible probably means it will be highly visible to you in your rear view mirror - which sucks. I went with the least irritating spot for my eye. Is it a deterrent, or when people see they're on camera make them do more stupid things?? I guess it depends on their age (or not)!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, there's a trade-off there, HR-AW. Your reaction to its visibility makes me think perhaps I should do a mock-up of one and see how I like it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late reply, but yes you should. I was quite surprised the first time I looked back after all that work ! At this point I don't notice it much and security wins over aesthetic OCD.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have an EX-L with the auto-dimming mirror. Is there anyone who has tapped into that power cable to supply their dashcam or radar detector?

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
Thanks for the pics, HR-AW. I finally got around to installing the dashcam hard wire kit. I wasn't sure about removing the A-pillar plastic since there's an air bag in there. I ended up just pushing the cable in with a screwdriver.

P.S. We need a beer or thumbs up emoji/emoticon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just another install for 1SlowHRV! You've done so much with yours. I never had to remove the A-pillar plastic - just took off the door seal rubber. You can definitely see the airbags through the gap and it made me a little cautious.

A beer emoji would deb cool !

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
A couple weeks ago, the glue on the mount melted on the camera side and the camera fell off. I used a different glue that I had laying around and now the glue from the windshield side melted off. I'm gonna try the same glue on the window side now hoping it won't fall off again. Can anyone recommend a better glue for that can resist high heat?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The tape that came with mine has been great and had no problems through the summer here in So Cal. I believe it's 3M VHB tape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an EX-L with the auto-dimming mirror. Is there anyone who has tapped into that power cable to supply their dashcam or radar detector?
Any luck with this? Does anyone know which wire to tap into to? Black is ground, but then there is a brown and purple. In a diagram I found online, it shows the purple possibly as the one to tap into but I am unsure. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks to some help from some knowledgable members :)I finally completed my installation and hardwiring of my radar and dashcam with rear camera. I wanted to share my pics and hope this will help others who may be doing this for the first time. (I am not an auto mechanic, but this similar technique has worked for me on my past 5 cars). I wanted a couple extra photos of the trunk panels removed, but I forgot to shoot the photos before putting things back together!

To be honest the hardest part was finding a ground screw for the wires!?!? I couldn't find one that my hands or tools could reach easily, (so after 2 hours with my head under the dash) I put in my own after opening the side dash panel. Routing the cables takes about 15 minutes and doing the trunk and wire boot took about 30 minutes, but then 1 hour to put the rear seatbelt cover back on with all the clips aligned.

Sorry these are not complete detailed instructions, but a guide. I (and I'm sure more experienced members) will try to answer any questions. Oh, and I had no idea how to post a thumbnail gallery of these images so you will have to scroll through them.:confused:

Wow talk about a clean set up???
Appreciate the photo but think your fuse box may have less fuses since it’s the Lx model. I have the Ex,still can’t find the issue not even Honda smh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts