Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my HR-V in tonight to have the noise/clicking/tapping sound investigated. Went on a ride with the service manager as soon as I got there. Confirmed the noise. He told me to hang out a while to let him inspect the car and check any Honda service bulletins...

No bulletins as the car is so new. He admitted he did not want to take the dash off and start digging around quite yet. He had the service team check the windshield pillar by the driver door and also the sunroof and visor areas. They could not find anything.

He told me he has put a call into Honda and will let me know when he gets word from them about what the next step to fix it is.

The noise is definitely getting louder and is definitely increasing in frequency. It really ruins everything awesome about driving around in this HR-V right now. Looks like I have the only one so far that's doing this... yay me!:|

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sorry to hear, matthew, but at least it sounds like they're taking it seriously and looking into it.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh no! I'm so sorry. It's such a quiet vehicle I bet any noise really stands out. Hopefully they are able to fix it fast and you can go back to enjoying the drive!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

Took the HRV back in (again) because they wanted to utilize the Honda Tech Line to make the repair.

I was told that car was ready and to come pick it up. That the sound was from a vibration in the dash panel from a screw not being tightened. I picked it up and drove it home without a test ride - because it was the beginning of the holiday weekend and I needed the car. Ticking/Rattle is still there!!!!!

Reading the work order, I noticed that it said to call the Honda Tech Line but then they added "Honda Tech Line not needed - did not call.".

Overall it's really frustrating. I emailed the service director and haven't heard back. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's on vacation this week. I will be calling him next week if I do not hear back.

WHY ME?! haha. Grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When we went to pick up the wifes HRV I said I wanted to take it for a ride. We had to wait a week for them to get the color the wife wanted. I road shotgun and the salesman sat in the back. Halfway through I had him ride shotgun because a heard something coming from the dash. He found it and had it fixed before we signed the paper work. It was a screw under the climate control panel, so he said. It's fixed though...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When we went to pick up the wifes HRV I said I wanted to take it for a ride. We had to wait a week for them to get the color the wife wanted. I road shotgun and the salesman sat in the back. Halfway through I had him ride shotgun because a heard something coming from the dash. He found it and had it fixed before we signed the paper work. It was a screw under the climate control panel, so he said. It's fixed though...
I've taken to looking under the dash myself and trying to diagnose it since I am getting no help from the dealership at this point...plus I'd rather put in the effort to see if I can figure it out before they completely tear it apart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE (again):

So after having my car for the better part of two days (and several test rides later) the dealership says they are unable to replicate the noise in the dash/windshield area. While that could be true, as it is intermittent, I do hear it on every single drive I take with the HRV. And of course, for some reason, when I took it on a drive with the service adviser, the noise was faint and not very noticable at all.

They have instructed me to monitor it until it becomes a more prevalent (reproducible) issue. Which in my mind it is, as I have now taken it in three times, it is - but I see their point. And I would rather them not rip the dash area apart to search for some unknown. It's just frustrating that it's happening.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have someone ride with you with a cell phone and video tape the the issue/noise if it continues.

UPDATE (again):

So after having my car for the better part of two days (and several test rides later) the dealership says they are unable to replicate the noise in the dash/windshield area. While that could be true, as it is intermittent, I do hear it on every single drive I take with the HRV. And of course, for some reason, when I took it on a drive with the service adviser, the noise was faint and not very noticable at all.

They have instructed me to monitor it until it becomes a more prevalent (reproducible) issue. Which in my mind it is, as I have now taken it in three times, it is - but I see their point. And I would rather them not rip the dash area apart to search for some unknown. It's just frustrating that it's happening.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I found a variable. Not one that will help me necessarily pinpoint the noise, but I think temperature might play a part in this.

When the dealer had the car, the temperature for both days was in the mid-90s. I haven't heard the noise as often while it has been hot. This morning's drive to work the temperature was 70, and I heard the noise much more frequently. I am thinking that come the fall/winter, the noise may be much more reproducible. Guess I will have to wait a few months to see...

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think I found a variable. Not one that will help me necessarily pinpoint the noise, but I think temperature might play a part in this.

When the dealer had the car, the temperature for both days was in the mid-90s. I haven't heard the noise as often while it has been hot. This morning's drive to work the temperature was 70, and I heard the noise much more frequently. I am thinking that come the fall/winter, the noise may be much more reproducible. Guess I will have to wait a few months to see...
'Better grab it in the fall ... come winter it'll be frozen-up tight ... no noise! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your description of the sound coming from your dash is similar to what I've been experiencing with my new HR-V. I heard it more going to work in the morning than coming home (I thought it was temperature/humidity differences), heard it more when I was going slow over speed bumps or across ruts in my driveway, heard it more when I turned corners than on the straightaway. It was driving me crazy; it was a squeak that sounded like it was coming from the dash/in the dash area. I had my brother drive it to see what he thought - no squeak......then I drove it and it squeaked again and he heard it.........By chance one day, I noticed I could reproduce it sitting in the drivers side by trying to rock side to side in the car, so I unhooked my seat belt to step out of the car to check I'm not sure what, and it stopped. Got back in the seat and rocked again - no noise. Put the seat belt back on and it squeaked constantly as I rocked side to side. Unhooked it - rocked - no squeak. And even after I traced it to where the seat belt hooks in, the sound still seemed to come from the dash. Puzzling....but it's pretty consistent with the source being the seat belt. I'm taking it for my first oil change next week and we'll be looking to see what's going on with it to see how to fix it but that's what it is for me. When my brother drove it, he had to push the seat back quite a ways - am thinking that's why he didn't hear it when he took it out. I have to have it quite a bit closer so I can more easily reach the brake, and that's the position that seems to cause the squeak the most. This may have nothing to do with your dash noise but thought I'd let you know what was causing my dash noise, just in case......

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your description of the sound coming from your dash is similar to what I've been experiencing with my new HR-V. I heard it more going to work in the morning than coming home (I thought it was temperature/humidity differences), heard it more when I was going slow over speed bumps or across ruts in my driveway, heard it more when I turned corners than on the straightaway. It was driving me crazy; it was a squeak that sounded like it was coming from the dash/in the dash area. I had my brother drive it to see what he thought - no squeak......then I drove it and it squeaked again and he heard it.........By chance one day, I noticed I could reproduce it sitting in the drivers side by trying to rock side to side in the car, so I unhooked my seat belt to step out of the car to check I'm not sure what, and it stopped. Got back in the seat and rocked again - no noise. Put the seat belt back on and it squeaked constantly as I rocked side to side. Unhooked it - rocked - no squeak. And even after I traced it to where the seat belt hooks in, the sound still seemed to come from the dash. Puzzling....but it's pretty consistent with the source being the seat belt. I'm taking it for my first oil change next week and we'll be looking to see what's going on with it to see how to fix it but that's what it is for me. When my brother drove it, he had to push the seat back quite a ways - am thinking that's why he didn't hear it when he took it out. I have to have it quite a bit closer so I can more easily reach the brake, and that's the position that seems to cause the squeak the most. This may have nothing to do with your dash noise but thought I'd let you know what was causing my dash noise, just in case......

Interesting! I'll have to test that out this weekend...I'll let you know if I can reproduce it like that. Sounds like you are hearing it in the same conditions that I am at least.

I was listening this morning (because it does seem to be more frequent than it has in the past...that is, until I take it to the dealer to have them drive it and then it goes away) and I convinced myself it was coming from where the headliner meets the windshield above the steering wheel/driver's side visor. Perhaps some of the wires from the rear view mirror run under there and are tapping?

But then I leaned back again and it sounded like it was from the dash area. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT IS COMING FROM. Gah!

One day at a time...good luck!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I don't know if this is the same noise or not, but I have noticed what sounds like a harmonic vibration rattle at very light throttle, low RPMs, coming from the engine compartment. I have heard a similar sound in a 2005 Toyota Sienn, so I'm not sure if this is inherent in the induction system. It's not getting worse, and is only noticeable at very light throttle position, so this noise is a pretty small annoyance.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the sound coming from the dash at around 1500 RPM and found a post where someone mentioned that the plastic oxygen sensor mount under the car next to the muffler was the culprit. I went under the car, found the O2 sensor bracket and wrapped a piece of duck tape around it. RATTLE GONE!!!!

See if this is was your problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts