Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Honda HRV Sport that I purchased in June. Part of the dealer add on was undercoating 300.00. I changed the oil for the first time a few days ago and noticed the underside is clean and just has the painted metal with no sign of undercoating seen. I amused to the rubberized stuff and you can easily tell if that was done or not. I called the dealer and am waiting for a call back. My question is are there undercoating now that goes on as a clear film??? I think it was never done but just want to be sure of the different types of undercoating vs the one I know the black rubberized stuff I used in the past. This is a USA model..

·
Registered
438 Posts
"Undercoating" can mean many different things especially dealer "undercoating" sold at the time of vehicle purchase.
Did the dealer provide any info on what exactly this "undercoating" is supposed to be?

I hope you didn't pay for the dealer "paint protection" and dealer "interior protection" at the time of sale.

Cue the Fargo movie, car salesman scene... :)

Reactions: Fearturtle44

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
288 Posts
Most modern cars are galvanized, then painted, in rust prone areas.

Our 2006 CR-V with 197,000 miles shows the benefit of this, the undercarriage is rust free after 15 years of NJ road salt and brine. It is a gray color though the car is blue.

BUT the various bracketry underneath was showing rust after 2 years...so I undercoated those pieces.

I just searched Amazon for a 'clear undercoating' and all the products I saw on the first 2 pages were black, or thick.

So, I'm betting that your undercoating wasn't done. :mad:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most modern cars are galvanized, then painted, in rust prone areas.

Our 2006 CR-V with 197,000 miles shows the benefit of this, the undercarriage is rust free after 15 years of NJ road salt and brine. It is a gray color though the car is blue.

BUT the various bracketry underneath was showing rust after 2 years...so I undercoated those pieces.

I just searched Amazon for a 'clear undercoating' and all the products I saw on the first 2 pages were black, or thick.

So, I'm betting that your undercoating wasn't done. :mad:
I will be calling back on Monday and bring the suv in... It cost me 300.00 so either they do it right...or most likely I will ask for the 300.00 refunded..My 2007 Honda Accord SE had 384000 and the undercarraige still looked great with no applied undercoating to it...

·
Registered
704 Posts
"Undercoating" can mean many different things especially dealer "undercoating" sold at the time of vehicle purchase.
Did the dealer provide any info on what exactly this "undercoating" is supposed to be?

I hope you didn't pay for the dealer "paint protection" and dealer "interior protection" at the time of sale.

Cue the Fargo movie, car salesman scene... :)
"Gonna want that Tru-coat !"

·
Registered
438 Posts
LOL, I had better post some useful info about undercoating now!

The black tar like undercoating is really for noise reduction. Sometimes it's called rock guard.
No one really sprays this on anymore since it can actually cause more rust.

If it's a harder material it can crack from age or rock damage and then water can under it and quietly rust, hidden under the thick coating.
If it's a softer material it can melt and drip in summer.
All this makes the vehicle messier to work on.

Undercoating/rustproofing is completely different. This can be just spraying the entire bottom of the vehicle with used motor oil (can't do that these days) or using some other thick oil like material.
Think Rust Check, Fluid film etc.
Some are a clear film which dries semi-hard. Some just stay greasy forever.
I use the messy Rust Check on our vehicles. It's messy, drips in hot weather but in most of Canada if you don't do something, your vehicle will start rusting in the 1st winter.

Some may remember the Ziebart rust proofing company. They used to spray a petroleum based film on the vehicle panels and early on they would drill holes in the body to spray inside doors, rocker panels, etc.
This did have benefits.

For modern vehicles like the HRV, you would have to remove the under body panels, spray the vehicle and then re-install the panels.
Highly unlikely the dealer (or a 3rd party dealer vendor) did this.
They likely just sprayed some fluid film in a few places and called it good.

Hopefully your dealer comes back with a reasonable response.

Reactions: SylenThunder

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, I had better post some useful info about undercoating now!

The black tar like undercoating is really for noise reduction. Sometimes it's called rock guard.
No one really sprays this on anymore since it can actually cause more rust.

If it's a harder material it can crack from age or rock damage and then water can under it and quietly rust, hidden under the thick coating.
If it's a softer material it can melt and drip in summer.
All this makes the vehicle messier to work on.

Undercoating/rustproofing is completely different. This can be just spraying the entire bottom of the vehicle with used motor oil (can't do that these days) or using some other thick oil like material.
Think Rust Check, Fluid film etc.
Some are a clear film which dries semi-hard. Some just stay greasy forever.
I use the messy Rust Check on our vehicles. It's messy, drips in hot weather but in most of Canada if you don't do something, your vehicle will start rusting in the 1st winter.

Some may remember the Ziebart rust proofing company. They used to spray a petroleum based film on the vehicle panels and early on they would drill holes in the body to spray inside doors, rocker panels, etc.
This did have benefits.

For modern vehicles like the HRV, you would have to remove the under body panels, spray the vehicle and then re-install the panels.
Highly unlikely the dealer (or a 3rd party dealer vendor) did this.
They likely just sprayed some fluid film in a few places and called it good.

Hopefully your dealer comes back with a reasonable response.
Well I just got a call from the dealer service manager. I will bring it in next week to have them look at it...but he told me that they do not spray the entire undercarriage like the old days. They just spray it in the wheel wells were the metal is. I looked at it this morning and in fact were the metal is there is a black type film/undercoat that looks to be brushed and sprayed on. So I will take it in next week and have them look again.. I have been looking at getting the fluid film in a can and spray the underneath myself...

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
I owned my previous vehicle from new for just under 10 years and 110k miles. The town I live in is surrounded by farmland and due to the direct train link to Glasgow (38 minutes, twice an hour) there has been a lot of house building, the Local Authority also grits the roads for most of the winter resulting in a lot of crap being left on the road. To deal with this I would initially attach a lawn sprayer to a garden hose, place it at the front of the vehicle and pull it down from the tailgate, which had some affact on the build up of crap under neath.

A few years later, Karcher came to my rescue with the Karcher Under Chassis Cleaner;

I used their proprietary car cleaner and wax on the underside. I was pleasantly surprised to see very little rust on the underside of the vehicle whenever the service department would send me a video of their pre-service inspection. How much of that was down to the rust proofing at the factory, and how much was down to the above, I could not say.

I have recently started using Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac after rinsing the underside, so it will be interesting to see what affect that has, though it should be noted that my vehicle was already 4 years old when I purchased it, and I am unaware of any preventative measures undertaken by the previous owner.

Atom-Mac can also be applied using a snow foam lance, or soap dispensor attachment.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well I just got a call from the dealer service manager. I will bring it in next week to have them look at it...but he told me that they do not spray the entire undercarriage like the old days. They just spray it in the wheel wells were the metal is. I looked at it this morning and in fact were the metal is there is a black type film/undercoat that looks to be brushed and sprayed on. So I will take it in next week and have them look again.. I have been looking at getting the fluid film in a can and spray the underneath myself...
I think most of the wheel wells are just that plastic liner anyway - not much metal.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't all HRV's have a full underbody "felt" cover? Even the wheel wells?
Our 2016 North American 2wd HRV is nearly fully enclosed underneath. There is virtually nothing exposed.
The front and rear wheel wells are fully covered with the felt covers.

I do realize that the AWD HRV's do not have that plastic under engine cover like our 2wd HRV.

You can't really wash the salt and dirt off without removing the panels, even with that under chassis washer.

You can't really apply and kind of undercoating or rust proofing anywhere without removing panels including the wheel wells.

Even my buddies new 2021 GMC Duramax 3/4 ton truck has nearly everything hidden by those felt-like panels.
He can wash the driveshaft off. That's about it, unless he starts removing those panels...

Reactions: Hadleys Taxi

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
You can't really wash the salt and dirt off without removing the panels, even with that under chassis washer.
The point of the UCC was just to give things underneath a helping hand, I appreciate it is not a miracle worker. The one major blot on my 2003 Honda Civics copy book was the exhaust detaching at the bulkhead (firewall?) due to corrosion. I had suffered an even worse exhaust detachment with my Fiat Tempra when it detached on the busy M40 from the bulkhead to the silencer (muffler?), nearly 3m of metal tubing just came off and bowled down the motorway. After experiences like that you try to mitigate a repeat performance with your current vehicle.

As for dealer offered underseal or waxing, that is something I have not heard being offered as an option on a new car sale since the 80's. It would appear most manufacturers selling vehicles in Europe learned from Fiat/Lancia/AR when they got their arses handed to them due to severe rust issues in the mid-late 80's. In fact Lancia sales never recovered.

The only time I have heard mention of applying an undersealer or similar, is when someone has imported a vehicle directly from Japan as due to the local climate and environment, rust preventative measures are not seen as either a requirement or a concern.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bet they charged you for blinker fluid and summer air in your tires as well.
Actually I turned that one down...🤣. I noticed that every new car on the lot has these add ons already listed next to the window sticker. They make a fortune on this stuff..The paint sealant is another big dealer money makes...Like I mentioned I will be going to the dealer next Tues to talk to the service manager.... I will bitch a little and request my money back for the undercoating. I plan on doing the Fluid Film type coating myself....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 2021 Honda HRV Sport that I purchased in June. Part of the dealer add on was undercoating 300.00. I changed the oil for the first time a few days ago and noticed the underside is clean and just has the painted metal with no sign of undercoating seen. I amused to the rubberized stuff and you can easily tell if that was done or not. I called the dealer and am waiting for a call back. My question is are there undercoating now that goes on as a clear film??? I think it was never done but just want to be sure of the different types of undercoating vs the one I know the black rubberized stuff I used in the past. This is a USA model..
Not that I’ve heard of everything out there but I have seen a lot of body stuff in my day and I’ve never heard of a clear undercoating. I’d ask the dealer for proof, just to cover yourself. I tend to agree with you, chances are nothing was done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Actually I turned that one down...🤣. I noticed that every new car on the lot has these add ons already listed next to the window sticker. They make a fortune on this stuff..The paint sealant is another big dealer money makes...Like I mentioned I will be going to the dealer next Tues to talk to the service manager.... I will bitch a little and request my money back for the undercoating. I plan on doing the Fluid Film type coating myself....
Just saying, I’d be bitching a lot and demand to talk to the manager. It’s things like this that give dealerships a bad name. Good luck 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 37 Posts