Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I recently did a few maintenance items on my 2016 HRV including Transmission fluid, Differential fluid, brake fluid and brake pad change. I created a video for the Differential fluid change as I did not find one on Youtube. I hope this is helpful for anyone tackling this job.

Tools Used:
3/8 Breaker bar
Torque wrench
1.5 Quarts of Dual Pump II fluid
Fluid pump
Drain plug washer
Fill plug washer

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I only have the FWD, but videos like this are nice to point people too. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings, I recently did a few maintenance items on my 2016 HRV including Transmission fluid, Differential fluid, brake fluid and brake pad change. I created a video for the Differential fluid change as I did not find one on Youtube. I hope this is helpful for anyone tackling this job.

Tools Used:
3/8 Breaker bar
Torque wrench
1.5 Quarts of Dual Pump II fluid
Fluid pump
Drain plug washer
Fill plug washer

You have this titled as transmission fluid change its actually differential fluid change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have not done this yet, but I was told to spin the rear wheels while draining so that most of all the fluid will be removed. And to do the same when filling to remove trapped air. Does this sound like it would be effective?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just finished the second rear Diff fluid change and it is another service that is so simple there is no reason for you not to do it. All you need is two quarts of Honda Dual Pump II Fluid (I haven't found a replacement on the market), an 18mm and 20mm crush washer (cheap on Amazon), and a 3/8 drive ratchet. No socket needed. All you do is remove the fill bolt then the drain bolt and drain the unit. Insert the drain bolt and fill until fluid starts running out the fill hole. Just over a quart. If you buy three quarts you have enough to do it twice! Oh yeah! I used a fluid pump to get it back in but those are cheap also. I put together a YT video of the process with links to everything I used. Super easy! I am finding these vehicles are made to service even though there are a lot of "lifetime" fluids in them. I promise ANYBODY can do these jobs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have not done this yet, but I was told to spin the rear wheels while draining so that most of all the fluid will be removed. And to do the same when filling to remove trapped air. Does this sound like it would be effective?
The Honda service Manual makes no mention of doing this.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
458 Posts
Hum... that's kinda an old post.

On the one hand, it might make sense if there are pockets where fluid can sit... but on the other hand, if the parts start drying (or the coating gets too thin) while its being spun, that just makes it wear down from metal on metal contact.

As for trapped air... don't think it matters, since part of the center body of the diff is only partially filled with fluid leaving air in there anyway. So, spinning now or later wouldn't matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts