Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This small study seems to think not...

https://news.uns.purdue.edu/html4ever/2006/060927ManneringOffset.html

Researchers have determined that airbags and antilock braking systems do not reduce the likelihood of accidents or injuries because they may encourage more aggressive driving, thwarting the potential benefits of such safety features.

The behavior responsible for this seeming paradox is called the offset hypothesis, which predicts that consumers adapt to innovations meant to improve safety by becoming less vigilant about safety, said Fred Mannering, a professor of civil engineering at Purdue University.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not so convinced by this argument, at least in how it relates to airbags. Its not as though airbags prevent crashes like some other safety features, the airbags just protect you better if you do crash. Whether I have airbags or not, I don't want to crash. I don't want to hurt myself, and I don't want to hurt my car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now of course its not an epidemic, in perfect scenarios the airbag will indeed mitigate the extent of injury, but if you're sitting too close or on the shorter end of the scale there is a significant risk...

·
Registered
741 Posts
now of course its not an epidemic, in perfect scenarios the airbag will indeed mitigate the extent of injury, but if you're sitting too close or on the shorter end of the scale there is a significant risk...
i see way too many people sitting too close to the steering wheel, air bags do need some space to inflate in order to act as a cushion for your head and people sitting too close don't allow that gap

·
Registered
620 Posts
People don't realize that their sitting position can be very unsafe in the case of a crash. Sitting too close to the wheel, or putting the head rest in the wrong spot can dramatically increase the risk of injury in a car crash. But that's not really the airbag's fault, it's the people who don't sit properly in their car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts