Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for those of you who have bought a Honda in the last decade. It's been 20+ years since I bought my last Honda. My memory was that Honda dealers just don't deal. In fact, I remember paying $1,000 over for my CRX in California in the 1980's.

So my question is - what's your personal experience? Has anyone here negotiated a reduced price in the last few years?

I ask so that I can make more meaningful price comparisons. The Sunday ads tell you that at volume dealers for Nissan, Jeep, Kia, and several other brands - you can expect $3,000 to $5,000 of that list price. So you don't compare list prices - you compare discounted prices. But I don't know what to expect at the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
On most Hondas, yes.
On the HRV, no. :)

Easiest way is going through a buyers club program where the price is already fixed.

This is for those of you who have bought a Honda in the last decade. It's been 20+ years since I bought my last Honda. My memory was that Honda dealers just don't deal. In fact, I remember paying $1,000 over for my CRX in California in the 1980's.

So my question is - what's your personal experience? Has anyone here negotiated a reduced price in the last few years?

I ask so that I can make more meaningful price comparisons. The Sunday ads tell you that at volume dealers for Nissan, Jeep, Kia, and several other brands - you can expect $3,000 to $5,000 of that list price. So you don't compare list prices - you compare discounted prices. But I don't know what to expect at the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You know the 80's were like 30 years ago now!

My last experience was full price on a car i reserved, and when I asked about a discount he said he had 10 people lined up behind me that were all willing to pay full price.
That was end of discussion!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>> You know the 80's were like 30 years ago now!

:)

Well, I bought my first car 40+ years ago, a Mustang. I've seen every sales game you can play at a dealership, and I've bought almost every major brand once.

At my age you smile when you walk up to a salesman, because there's not a sales device in his book you haven't encountered a dozen times over. And he knows it.

Or better yet, I get a young salesman who thinks he's gonna swindle Grampa, and then I pull his chain for an hour, relishing every second of it (cheap entertainment). The younger ones are really fun, because they think I don't know what the Internet is (I'm a practicing Fortune 50 software engineer).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I'd take HRV4ME's advice to look at a buyer's club - we have an employee purchase program. Of course they don't have the HRV yet, so I checked a CRV. They do offer a surprisingly significant discount. Nice to know. We'll see how long it takes the HRV to appear there - certainly not the first day on the lot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, I'm a young Honda salesman. Haven't been doing this for very long. I just want to help the people that come onto my lot. And honestly it saddens me how poorly the majority of my customers treat me, after I spend hours bending over backwards for them. I really try to do everything I can for them, and in the end, they couldn't give one sheet about me. It only matters how low of a price they can get for themselves. And they'll keep going back and forth from dealer to dealer to see who will drop their pants the lowest. This is a job to me just like your job is to you. We all have bills to pay. You want to grind us down to nothing on price and care only about yourself? Fine, I'll still sell you the car and take what we call a "mini" ($150 minimum commission) and if I have a decent month, I'll sell 10-12 cars. So cool, maybe I can make $1500-2000 for that whole month. Which may not seem very low to some, but when we work 6 days a week 10 hours a day, I'd be working for about $7/hr. No thanks I could make more working at McDonald's. So there you go, wanna know why a lot of people think most car salesmen are trying to take advantage of you? Because there still are some that do. They're good at it and they are the ones that make good money so they stay in the business. All the sales people that are actually genuine, friendly, and want to help you, get taken advantage of and can't make any money in the business. So that negative mindset of car salesmen is there because the customers create it without knowing it. Who knows maybe one day we can work out deals where we help each other out and everyone leaves happy. I can dream can't I?

Ok rant is over sorry it was so long. I had a long day at the dealership today.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rant well received! :)

I was referring to the guys who see me or somebody else come in and immediately think "fresh meat". And there are LOTS of them out there. They probably started out as nice guys, and the system slowly wore them down. Some dealerships just have an evil sales mantra. Some don't. Wish we'd eliminate car sales commissions completely and go the Tesla route - less stress for everyone.

Over the years, I've known lots of car sales guys who were really, really great guys, treated me fairly, and we became friends and they sold me multiple cars.

In fact, come June I'll be seeing a Mazda salesman who sold me two Miatas, and is about to sell me my third. He sold me my first Miata when I was 40 and he was 20. I walk in, he knows me, he shows me the car, we laugh a bit, he offers me a very significant discount without me even asking, and I'm headed home 30 minutes later. Now that's how to buy and sell a car.

Or, I could walk in the door, hand my keys over for an appraisal, go for a test drive, and then have to do a shouting match just to get my keys back 45 minutes later (true story). There are more than a few evil dealerships out there. The underpaid sales guys might hate working there, and I feel for them, but if they treat me like a sap, I'm going to return the favor.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah, I'm a young Honda salesman. Haven't been doing this for very long. I just want to help the people that come onto my lot. And honestly it saddens me how poorly the majority of my customers treat me, after I spend hours bending over backwards for them. I really try to do everything I can for them, and in the end, they couldn't give one sheet about me. It only matters how low of a price they can get for themselves. And they'll keep going back and forth from dealer to dealer to see who will drop their pants the lowest. This is a job to me just like your job is to you. We all have bills to pay. You want to grind us down to nothing on price and care only about yourself? Fine, I'll still sell you the car and take what we call a "mini" ($150 minimum commission) and if I have a decent month, I'll sell 10-12 cars. So cool, maybe I can make $1500-2000 for that whole month. Which may not seem very low to some, but when we work 6 days a week 10 hours a day, I'd be working for about $7/hr. No thanks I could make more working at McDonald's. So there you go, wanna know why a lot of people think most car salesmen are trying to take advantage of you? Because there still are some that do. They're good at it and they are the ones that make good money so they stay in the business. All the sales people that are actually genuine, friendly, and want to help you, get taken advantage of and can't make any money in the business. So that negative mindset of car salesmen is there because the customers create it without knowing it. Who knows maybe one day we can work out deals where we help each other out and everyone leaves happy. I can dream can't I?

I will be the selfish one then I guess. I've always been the one to go after the best price whether it is clothing, hiking/camping gear, event tickets, plane tickets, etc or cars. I'm not going to pay $2k more at one dealership, for the same exact car. I'm certainly not working and earning money to pay your salary either.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Lol! You're in the wrong profession dude. Nobody is going to feel sorry for a whining salesman and pay over price so he'll earn more. Stop blaming the consumer. This isn't a charity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't Negotiate Unless you Like to, Do This...

All,

The dealer/ salesperson wants you in the dealership to work you over. Have the guts to walk out if they give you any crap. So that you're on a level playing field, you should get this. I have and it's been very helpful. I was looking at a Volvo once and when I calculated in holdback, advertising incentive, etc.(All things the dealer with SWEAR don't exist) the dealer was still going to make 4K on the car if he sold it to me at cost:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/cardeal.cfm

I've also used this and done well with it. Well worth the money. They will price the car:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.cfm

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Again, know what your paying before you even walk in the dealership. For example Costco typically does all Honda $500 over invoice. Make the process simple. However on something like the Crosstour, they are probably doing below invoice.

All,

The dealer/ salesperson wants you in the dealership to work you over. Have the guts to walk out if they give you any crap. So that you're on a level playing field, you should get this. I have and it's been very helpful. I was looking at a Volvo once and when I calculated in holdback, advertising incentive, etc.(All things the dealer with SWEAR don't exist) the dealer was still going to make 4K on the car if he sold it to me at cost:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/cardeal.cfm

I've also used this and done well with it. Well worth the money. They will price the car:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.cfm

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Again, know what your paying before you even walk in the dealership. For example Costco typically does all Honda $500 over invoice. Make the process simple. However on something like the Crosstour, they are probably doing below invoice.
I just checked out the Costco program and am very skeptical. You can't see their "special" price list UNTIL you go to the dealer and talk to a salesman. So you can still experience their pressure to buy what they have, with extras you may not want. You can check MSRP on the Honda site first so that would help, but still don't like the Costco process.

I would rather do all my pricing online and THEN see the dealer.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I will be the selfish one then I guess. I've always been the one to go after the best price whether it is clothing, hiking/camping gear, event tickets, plane tickets, etc or cars. I'm not going to pay $2k more at one dealership, for the same exact car. I'm certainly not working and earning money to pay your salary either.
You aren't even swayed by the mournful violin music playing in the background? :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have to feel a bit for the really young kids I've met a dealerships, just starting out. You can tell they're often slave labor, kept on a tight leash, and they pretty much have to go talk to the sales manager before they can pee. Nice kids, and most of them start out truly wanting to help you.

Since this is a Honda forum, I should be fair and say I've never really had a bad experience at a Honda dealer - I mean, none of the really obnoxious stuff. But I could fill a book with the stuff I've experienced elsewhere. Kind of wish I hadn't drifted the topic over to sales tactics in the first place.

Lets all kill this topic and go back to admiring our future HRV's...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I do have to feel a bit for the really young kids I've met a dealerships, just starting out. You can tell they're often slave labor, kept on a tight leash, and they pretty much have to go talk to the sales manager before they can pee. Nice kids, and most of them start out truly wanting to help you.

Since this is a Honda forum, I should be fair and say I've never really had a bad experience at a Honda dealer - I mean, none of the really obnoxious stuff. But I could fill a book with the stuff I've experienced elsewhere. Kind of wish I hadn't drifted the topic over to sales tactics in the first place.

Lets all kill this topic and go back to admiring our future HRV's...
I talked to a young salesman at a Mazda dealer in Pasadena. He was great and we talked cars a lot. If I were in a position to buy then , I would have enjoyed buying from him.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have bought 5 Hondas over the last 10 years ( 2 CR-Vs for my wife, 2 CR-Vs for me and a Civic for my daughter), and I got what I thought were good deals on all of them. Yeas Honda dealers do deal. However every year is different and is dependant on the situation (ie state of the economy, Honda promotions etc). For example I paid less foe my 2014 CR-V LX than for my wife's 2012 CR-V LX, same car, differnet colors, different year. I expect that there will no dealing initially on the HR-Vs but eventually as the invventory builds up and the newness wears off they will start to deal. I suggest watching the various websites like Edmunds to track how the deals are going.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the same experience when I bought my Kia Soul+. I can buy a vastly improved Kia Soul+ today for $3,000 less than I paid in 2010 (when I bought one a month after release).

You do pay a price for being first in line. I don't regret it, because we've loved all five years and 90,000 miles with our Soul. If we fall in love with the HR-V, I guess we'll just have to pay full price to have it "right now".

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had the same experience when I bought my Kia Soul+. I can buy a vastly improved Kia Soul+ today for $3,000 less than I paid in 2010 (when I bought one a month after release).

You do pay a price for being first in line. I don't regret it, because we've loved all five years and 90,000 miles with our Soul. If we fall in love with the HR-V, I guess we'll just have to pay full price to have it "right now".
It's worth it as long as you keep it for long enough and really ensure it's a vehicle for you, then it really pays off.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yes, definitely recommend Costco's Buying Program. I have purchases 3 Hondas and each one was a simple and straightforward transaction.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes, definitely recommend Costco's Buying Program. I have purchases 3 Hondas and each one was a simple and straightforward transaction.
When it comes to trading in your old car (most people do this)...how is it handled?

Also, sometimes a dealer with give you a little more for your trade in when they won't come off the list price much....or conversely, if the come off the list more 'for you', it could be that they don't give you so much for your used car. It's all about staying within a $ range in the end for them when balancing out the total transaction.

In the case of the HRV which is hard to come by, I figure they won't budge much if any from the MSRP and would give you as little as they can for your trade.

Hopefully that isn't too dense a question...just woke up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts