Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how it goes for me. I've got the EX with proximity key.

1. Walk up to HRV hatch Press the button. Car beeps to say it is unlocking the trunk. I release the button.
2. Press the button again, and it makes a click and kinda "half unlocks", allowing me to open the hatch maybe 1/2" or so?
3. Press the button a 3rd time, and it will fully unlock this time.

Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know the feeling. The key is to hold the button longer and it can be done in one try. At least this works on mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went out to my car.

I can get the timing better to do it in 2 presses. But cannot on 1.

Maybe it's a Canadian car thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue on my hrv, very frustrating. Coincidentally, I was just commenting to a friend this morning regarding this issue.
Will try holding button for longer period of time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same issue on my hrv, very frustrating. Coincidentally, I was just commenting to a friend this morning regarding this issue.
Will try holding button for longer period of time.
I just went outside and held the button for 30 seconds multiple times.

No change in behavior. If other people can get it done with 1 press, does that mean mine has a problem?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Something is going on, for sure.
I have had the 3 touch problem, and part of it, I think, is hold it for a couple seconds and then just pull it open. If I hesitate at all, it does the half latch thing

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too am struggling with this and after almost 2 months i'm starting to figure it out. I think holding it for an extra second before pulling it up does the trick. I can't confirm this yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
It has nothing to do with how long one holds the button. Once you hear the click the hatch should unlock.

I had the same issue with the rear hatch when I first got the car. When the car was unlocked, I have no problem opening it on the first try. When the car was locked, it took me at least 2 tries to open it. But after about a month, I can always open it on the first try and continues to do so.

I think the locking mechanism binds when it is new. If you don't want to wait for the lock worn in. Take it to the dealer and let them adjust it. It should always open on the first try.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
After reading this last night, I went out and tested several times, with a locked car.

1. Walk up to back of HR-V
2. Pause 1 second
3. Press the hatch release

It opened on the first press every single time; perhaps there is individual variation in cars, but this is not an issue for me. Now, if I accidentally push the lock button before pressing the unlock button, that's a while different issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean press the lock button before the unlock button? There is only 1 button on the hatch.

Are you using the remote to unlock? Or just walking to a locked car and letting the proximity key unlock the hatch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my EX there are two buttons on the rear lift gate. One long rubber pad to open the gate and another round rubber pad to the right of the long one. The round pad is a lock button and works identical to the rubber lock button on the driver/passenger door handles.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What do you mean press the lock button before the unlock button? There is only 1 button on the hatch.

Are you using the remote to unlock? Or just walking to a locked car and letting the proximity key unlock the hatch?

I walk up to a locked car, with the remote on my person, and press the large hatch release button. It opens on the first press every time. After closing the hatch, I lock the car again by pressing the lock button.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is no ritual involved opening the hatch. It should open on the first try every time, locked or unlock. If you are have an issue take it to the dealer.
Yep. You do have to wait for the car to "beep" before you open the hatch (if the car is locked). If you press and pull fast it may "catch," and I think that's what is happening for others.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yep. You do have to wait for the car to "beep" before you open the hatch (if the car is locked). If you press and pull fast it may "catch," and I think that's what is happening for others.
I agree, that is what happens to me. When I pull up on the hatch too quickly, it catches in that half unlatched spot. I then press the button again and open the hatch.
This is my fault, no the cars. I am just lifting quicker than the mechanism can finish the unlock process.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I feel like a dummy.

I didn't realize that it had a second button under the hatch.

I was just using the big button the whole time, which will unlock the hatch, but it takes 3 tries.

Whoops! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I feel like a dummy.

I didn't realize that it had a second button under the hatch.

I was just using the big button the whole time, which will unlock the hatch, but it takes 3 tries.

Whoops! Thanks!
Well join the club:(
I too was guilty of trying to lift hatch too soon after pressing unlock button.
All is well, love this forum. I have been driving my Mulberry ex-l navi for 3 months now, and I'm loving it................

1 - 20 of 42 Posts