Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
Yep. You do have to wait for the car to "beep" before you open the hatch (if the car is locked). If you press and pull fast it may "catch," and I think that's what is happening for others.
I have been doing this for over 6 months and don't remembered if there is a beep or not . :) I just wait for the mechanism to click while holding the button and then open the hatch. If you have to hit the release button more than once, something is not right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old topic, but I have had and still have this issue. As I've researched the problem, it seems to be a general problem with this model car. (LOTS of people have this hatch sticking problem). Does anyone know if Honda has identified a solution to it yet, and if I take it in to the dealer they will be able to fix it? The last time I was there, they weren't that receptive to the problem and made me feel like it was me (even though it stuck for them too when they tried to open it). It's not me, and the problem is getting worse over time. I have to press both the lock and unlock buttons multiple times to get it to open. It used to do that half-open thing, where it opened a little but the latch didn't fully release, but now it doesn't even really do that anymore. It unlocks and loosens but just doesn't open until I've pressed the buttons and pulled, pressed and pulled at least 3 or 4 times. I have a 2017 HR-V.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wife's 2018 HRV hatch was the most stubborn non-opening and aggravating thing I've ever encountered on any car I've owned.

After too many weeks I figured out that the rubber seal was adhering to the door like it was glued shut. So I wiped down the rubber seal with a silicone spay and the seal no longer sticks to the hatch door and it opens easily first time, every time.

Honda must've had some kind of sticky rubber compound on that seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wife's 2018 HRV hatch was the most stubborn non-opening and aggravating thing I've ever encountered on any car I've owned.

After too many weeks I figured out that the rubber seal was adhering to the door like it was glued shut. So I wiped down the rubber seal with a silicone spay and the seal no longer sticks to the hatch door and it opens easily first time, every time.

I'd have to agree with the most aggravating thing I've ever encountered on a car. It makes me really dislike the car, honestly...standing there with a load of groceries and you're fighting with the gate for more than a minute.
I do hear some rubber sticking sounds, just recently though, and when the weather is hot. I don't think that is my main issue as the metal latch doesn't release as well... Thanks for the suggestion though-- if I do manage to get a fix, I'll keep that in mind as another thing I can do to help keep it working well. :)

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
mine is on 1st try, i hold the rubber switch for 5 secs or so and it releases every time in full.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just last week I found out my D ring bolts were backing out. One was completely out of the threads, other was barely in.

Torqued them down, it opens much more reliably now.

·
Registered
415 Posts

I followed your suggestion and “lubricated” the seal around the hatch. I did not have silicone spray, but I used WD40 sprayed neatly onto a paper towel and then I wiped the entire gasket surface. It was slicker and softer with no harm to the material. No longer sticky. Even in the hot street, the hatch releases readily and there is no struggle to unlatch and lift the hatch.

I’ll continue to treat the rubber surface if needed over tine. I’m very appreciative of your analysis and solution. The hatch was very annoying to open until I came across your post. Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Oil degrades rubber over time...use silicone or graphite
OK. Duly noted. I didn’t realize WD40 was not benign. I’ll clean that off and I go get some silicone spray. I do have Kroil graphite spray on a shelf in my garage, but I think it might be too messy or leave stains.
Thanks for the materials advice. I think I love this forum more than my HRV!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
As a FYI, WD-40 does make a silicone spray. Buyer beware. I’m going to use on window tracks of my Forester to help prevent them sticking. Need to wipe excess off immediately.

·
Registered
202 Posts
OK. Duly noted. I didn’t realize WD40 was not benign. I’ll clean that off and I go get some silicone spray. I do have Kroil graphite spray on a shelf in my garage, but I think it might be too messy or leave stains.
Thanks for the materials advice. I think I love this forum more than my HRV!
FYI, WD-40 is a better cleaning agent than it is a lubricant. It probably removed whatever sticky residue was causing your problem, Agree that the silicone lube is best for your application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i even cant get it open manualy, because its manual trunk lid. It gets stuck even in summer. NEVER had this issue with older Hondas i have owned (N) ( i have owned 5 before)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is how it goes for me. I've got the EX with proximity key.

1. Walk up to HRV hatch Press the button. Car beeps to say it is unlocking the trunk. I release the button.
2. Press the button again, and it makes a click and kinda "half unlocks", allowing me to open the hatch maybe 1/2" or so?
3. Press the button a 3rd time, and it will fully unlock this time.

Anyone else having this issue?
HATE this and dealer can’t fix the ‘sticking’ issue!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
honestly I didn't realize another push-button attempt releases it. I've been closing the hatch and starting over and that usually works for me. i'll try the second-release push - and yeah it's annoying as shit.
But what really bugs me is when the drivers door is open and engine is running (which means i'm walking around the car brushing snow off of it, none of the doors or hatch can be unlocked with the one touch button OR the fob - you have to go to the driver door panel and unlock everything from there.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
172 Posts
Our '19 hatch just started to stick.:confused: I lubricated the lock and the seal.

Regards the seal, my preferred anti-stick material is talcum powder or baby powder. This is dry (so that it won't attract dirt like silicone). Just sprinkle a bit in a cup, saucer, or non-dominant hand, then use the fingers of the other hand to spread a thin coat onto the contact area of the rubber 'bulb'.

Reactions: Gizmogal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is how it goes for me. I've got the EX with proximity key.

1. Walk up to HRV hatch Press the button. Car beeps to say it is unlocking the trunk. I release the button.
2. Press the button again, and it makes a click and kinda "half unlocks", allowing me to open the hatch maybe 1/2" or so?
3. Press the button a 3rd time, and it will fully unlock this time.

Anyone else having this issue?
I also have this issue. There are times that I just give up and open the side doors and place groceries there. Frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine is on 1st try, i hold the rubber switch for 5 secs or so and it releases every time in full.
I would like to just walk up to the car and the trunk will open automatically (when I press the ‘’handle” on the hatch. I don’t want to have to search for my key.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts