Honda HR-V Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Brought mine in today for this and some other issues. Dealer says the release mechanism is faulty and is installing a new one.
Had this same problem and got down low and looked up at the switch.... it’s a two position switch (lock/unlock) once you get a good look at how it’s designed it should clear up any problems.. I was unlock and locking while attempting to open assuming that it was a single button with a single open function .

· Registered
59 Posts
this is interesting , its a tactile switch on my unit , same as those on the driver and passenger doors .
The tailgate unlock/disengage button activates when it senses you carry with you the Remote/Key FOB.
Press the unlock on the FOB then another person can unlock the tailgate.

noelmem5

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Since I bought the HRV in 2015, opening the hatch has been tricky, with timing you need to kind of hold it.
Last month at 1:00am during a rain my alarm went off, then at 2:00, then 3:00
I told the family to not lock the vehicle until after it was fixed
Honda diagnosed, said it was rear hatch, so they ordered new latch parts.
Opens every time now like butter
I’m thinking it was an issue from day one, and maybe a few of these models had the defective latch

· Registered
5 Posts
I have gone round and round with this issue for four years now. I have a 2017 HR-V. The hatch has not worked correctly since the day I bought it brand new. I went back to the salesman about 2 weeks after buying because I couldn't get it open and he made me think it was me, and I wasn't doing it right somehow (much like some of the older threads here on this topic). I don't know if that was on purpose or not. Four years later, I assure you, it is not me. I can eventually get the thing open but it takes a lot of pulling and button pressing and a sequence of faults have to happen first, and forget about it if it's pouring down rain or your arms are full. It's the biggest pain and honestly, it makes me really hate the car. I've been to the dealer six times for this over the last 4 years, and by now I know not to open it for a couple of days to be sure it won't open for the service dept, because once you open it, it will work for maybe a day or two. If I leave it for two weeks without opening it, it's like the thing is welded shut, and I've often saved that pleasure for the service dept, and honestly gotten a lot of satisfaction when they tell me there's a trick and then struggle, and I have to fight it open for them. Ha ha! Every time they come back out and show me how nicely it's working but I always suspect it won't work in a day or two and I'm always right. They've replaced everything there is to be replaced except the inside wiring or the door itself. They've replaced all latches, hydraulic arms, buttons, locks. It just doesn't work and it's as simple as that. They hate to see me coming anymore, although I've yet to be charged for anything regarding this, even though the warranty is long expired. They say they have never heard of any defect or issue with this.

Has anyone, anyone found some sort of identifying faulty part or issue or anything at all I can take to my dealer to point them in the right direction to get this fixed?

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
225 Posts
I struggled with my tailgate for a couple of months after buying my 2018 last spring. Had it to the dealer twice, they couldn't find anything wrong. Although it did stick a time or 2 for the service writer when he tried it a bunch of times. They told me that you have to give a second before lifting to give it time to release. I had been doing that all along while still having problems most of the times if the tailgate was locked. Unlocked, no issue. What I discovered is that information was wrong. Waiting a second seemed to be what was causing the issue. I now just reach under and pull in one steady motion with no delay. This seemed to solve the problem for me.

· Registered
20 Posts
I have gone round and round with this issue for four years now. I have a 2017 HR-V. The hatch has not worked correctly since the day I bought it brand new. I went back to the salesman about 2 weeks after buying because I couldn't get it open and he made me think it was me, and I wasn't doing it right somehow (much like some of the older threads here on this topic). I don't know if that was on purpose or not. Four years later, I assure you, it is not me. I can eventually get the thing open but it takes a lot of pulling and button pressing and a sequence of faults have to happen first, and forget about it if it's pouring down rain or your arms are full. It's the biggest pain and honestly, it makes me really hate the car. I've been to the dealer six times for this over the last 4 years, and by now I know not to open it for a couple of days to be sure it won't open for the service dept, because once you open it, it will work for maybe a day or two. If I leave it for two weeks without opening it, it's like the thing is welded shut, and I've often saved that pleasure for the service dept, and honestly gotten a lot of satisfaction when they tell me there's a trick and then struggle, and I have to fight it open for them. Ha ha! Every time they come back out and show me how nicely it's working but I always suspect it won't work in a day or two and I'm always right. They've replaced everything there is to be replaced except the inside wiring or the door itself. They've replaced all latches, hydraulic arms, buttons, locks. It just doesn't work and it's as simple as that. They hate to see me coming anymore, although I've yet to be charged for anything regarding this, even though the warranty is long expired. They say they have never heard of any defect or issue with this.

Has anyone, anyone found some sort of identifying faulty part or issue or anything at all I can take to my dealer to point them in the right direction to get this fixed?
My wife's 2019 acts exactly the same. Sometimes I have to release it from inside. Once it's open it works perfectly for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. But once it's stuck that's it.

· Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
446 Posts
Two words:

Post 38. OK, that might be three words...:p

Our '19 has been working fine since I lubricated things as noted.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts