Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I love my HRV but have a couple of complaints. My biggest is this vehicle doesn't seem to take bumps or potholes too well. Some have told me because the SUV is higher up it will have a bumpy ride. However, I've driven other larger SUV's and never had this issue. It feels like I'm driving an old car that needs new shocks. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's fairly stiff I'll admit, but I like the way it handles so I'll tolerate it. Compared to most of the rental SUV's I drive (travel a lot for work), the HRV actually takes bumps quieter and with less clanging/clapping around.

One thing to check is your tire pressure. Mine came brand new from the dealership with 42PSI in the tires. I have yet to deflate them (which I probably should so I don't wear them out prematurely), but I imagine that contributes to the stiff ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will definitely check the tire PSI. Not much luck with avoiding potholes in NY but I don't care I still love this car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree too, it is a stiff ride but I like it. It gives me information that I need to push the car into the turn a bit when I am in a hurry. I drove a charger awhile back and the car suspension is too absorbing, it dampened out almost all of the road-feel, I cant push the 300hp(base model)at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely a stiff ride.
I really like how it handles on pavement, especially around corners, with almost no body roll like many SUV's.

But rough road/pot holes are definitely a weak spot for this car.
Slow down if you are on rough terrain.

:nerd: Is the HRV not built off the Fitt Frame ?? So far were Pleased with our HRV-EX... Pot Holes & Uneven Pavement is a Fact of Life in Upstate New York & Ontario..... 0:):)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes stiff, but softer than my previous mini clubman (really hard). Handling is surprisingly good though in the HR-V. I didn't want a Camry like ride. I wish the steering was heavier.....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think the HRV's suspension is a happy medium between hard and soft suspension. I've had both. Hard suspension provides great handling on curvy roads and turns but doesn't feel very comfortable when you hit any imperfections on the road. Soft suspension makes a car feel unsafe at higher speeds and turns. I've found that the HRV handles great yet still feels comfortable when going over bumps, small potholes, and railroad tracks.

I wish the steering was heavier.....
Get some wider wheels and tires. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I've found that with our HRV-LX also. I love the way it
handles but the ride is a little stiffer than any other car I've owned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2020 HRV ... and I too find it uncomfortably stiff ... Hit a pothole, and it feels like you rear-ended another car. I can feel every little imperfection on the road. Not sure I'd get another HR-V. Not getting great gas mileage either. 🚘

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW: NYC area; my previous car was a 2017 Subaru Forester. By the end of the lease term, my son refused to ride with us (significant nausea riding in the back), and even my wife complained (front passenger). I routinely felt like I'd fall asleep during any trip more than 30 minutes... Vehicle inspected several times (emphasis on suspension, wheels, etc) and found to be in perfect condition.

None of that with HR-V so far (2019 EX-L AWD), after 3 months of use. So, yes, this is not a Cadillac limousine (I had an opportunity to drive it from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon and back), but in comparison and for the price - I'd gladly lease this HR-V again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts