Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove the wife’s 2021 HR-V ex-L again yesterday. Going up the long steady incline with the cruise control on, the rpms would increase to bring it up to the set speed, then drop significantly as soon as the speed was reached. Rinse and repeat 20 times until reaching the top of the hill.

I have other hondas that will hold a lower gear as long as you are on an incline, even when you let off the throttle. It seems that either the HR-V doesn’t have similar "grade logic," or there is some type of "Use the highest possible gear to improve mpg" logic that is overriding it.

My concern is that the car will shift 20-30 times going up a 4 mile incline. That’s probably not good for life expectancy of the cvt. Hopefully I’m not duplicating a previous thread…has anyone else observed this, and is there a possible software upgrade to address it?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
594 Posts
You're not running in "Econ" mode, right?

Did you try putting it in S mode?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Our front wheel drive 2016 LX CVT HRV does this too.
3 people and all our gear, up a long mountain highway climb.
And I can see on the Scangauge that the CVT trans gets hot when it does this

I think it's because the 1.8L engine doesn't have enough power to maintain the cruise control set speed.
It's like if you had a traditional automatic trans with a weak engine.
It would shift to a higher gear, then the engine bogs down, then down shift, the engine revs up, then the trans shifts, then the engine bogs down again, and repeat.

Your US EX-L should have the paddle shifters. Use those to shift and hold the CVT in a lower ratio and keep the engine revs up.
For our LX, I shift it to S (sport). Then the engine rpm's are higher but stay steady and the CVT temps go down.

Your 2021 HRV should already have the latest CVT s/w. Our HRV has not had the CVT TSB/recall s/w update yet.

The 1.8L engine has proven to be very reliable with excellent fuel economy but it's totally lacking in power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. If I was the regular driver, I would use "S”, but my wife would have no interest in doing anything other than putting it in ”D" and driving to her destination. Luckily, the hill in question is no longer part of the daily commute, but we still travel that way 4 or 5 times a month. Probably just frequently enough to induce transmission failure a few miles after the warranty ends, heh heh!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks. If I was the regular driver, I would use "S”, but my wife would have no interest in doing anything other than putting it in ”D" and driving to her destination. Luckily, the hill in question is no longer part of the daily commute, but we still travel that way 4 or 5 times a month. Probably just frequently enough to induce transmission failure a few miles after the warranty ends, heh heh!
can you put your hrv in the sport mode and not use the paddle shifters??? Will it still run OK???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts