Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is such a great thread! I own my 2016 HRV for 3 weeks now and Im finding the gas mileage so much better without the eco on! 29 vs 32 ish... I drive about 5 to 7 miles before getting on highway for work. I work 25 plus miles away... I wonder if the grade of gas will make a difference also. Im HOPING to figure out the ins and outs soon....
Im missing my 2 door civic. The tight suspention on the road, and the great gas mileage.
Do you guys see a difference with grade or brand of gas??

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
No......

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't imagine a 3 MPG difference when using ECO mode and not. For what it's worth, I don't notice any difference in MPG or acceleration using ECO mode.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's actually NOT recommended to use higher rated octaine in an engine that is not designed for it. The addatives tend to foul plugs and stick to valves. There are different tiers of gas - so stay with the larger brand national brand names for the proper detergent gasoline.
No reason to use the ol' "High-test" in the HRV.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One particular brand of fuel in the USA and Canada seems to often, but not always, have a very low energy content.

The engine seems to need about one third more fuel for the same conditions.

It might be and excess of ethanol and maybe carrying some water.

I avoid this brand if at all possible, since you're buying a whole lot less energy.

Don't want to be disparaging but complete this phrase, " Sea Xxxxx "

·
Registered
848 Posts
The first year I had my HRV I drove with Econ on. I switched if off after that, and have left it off ever since. I don't recall if my MPG increase was as dramatic as your's, but it definitely was better with ECON off. I echo what others have said about using the recommended octane fuel, and nothing more.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Im missing my 2 door civic.
As a long term Civic fan , I hear you.
We have a 2017 civic hatch turbo, and love it.
Both my 16 and 19 year old kids prefer the civic over the HR-V, and it's better on gas.
But, it's not a compact SUV.

We prefer our HRV for:
- country roads where you need more clearance
- snow storms, and driving through snow drifts
- Taking adults in the rear seat for more comfort/legroom
- Hauling
- Towing
- Going skiing several times a week all winter (got the Thule Ski Box)

The HR-V is a great compact SUV, but it is not a Civic.
Having both means you can have your cake, and eat it too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silly about the 3 mpg difference, but it adds up real quick...especially when gas is 3.99 a gallon in some places!! Not funny then... And if it wasnt for the ease of looking at the mpg right in front of my face, I wouldnt even realize. The car doesnt drive any different eco vs reg. Maybe because Its just me in it.. Im not lugging anyone else around.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I turned the ECO button off and there was no change in mileage. For me, I like having it off because now I don't have that stupid green icon lit on my dash. Now, if only I could make the speedo ring stay at the color I choose instead of switching to green while driving.

Personally, I think the whole ECO button is just a scam into making people think the car is being green.

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
Is there anyone else here that doesn't see that ring anymore? I know it's still there and changes color, but I think I've gotten so used to it that I don't notice it anymore.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I noticed a slight decrease in mpg when using Econ mode. At first I wanted to believe it would be more efficient- but after several tankfuls comparing both modes and realizing my mpg goes down 1-3 mpg when with Econ on, I keep it off now.

I wonder if the gasoline companies convinced Honda to put this feature in :) LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree...mine is off too! I scheduled an appt for a look over for Fri! This 21...22 mpg and noise when accelerating is unacceptable now. I figured I better catch it sooner than later!!! I love this forum
..so much info and all relatable!

·
Registered
848 Posts
The MPG issue is likely a symptom of your driving habits and traffic more than anything else. Are you doing a lot of short trips, or stop and go driving? I see my MPG drop dramatically when I'm doing similar. Have you done any highway trips, and if so, is your mileage acceptable then?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Everyone!!!! I REALIZED as I was wiping down the dash...the AC was ON even tho my temp was at 70...I turned it off and the noise has NOT come back and gas mileage is back to 28... Im at the dealership now. They are looking into the Nation wide bulletin about this. I played the video for them of the sound...THANK YOU for posting about it. He was able to hear the problem thru that. Waiting to hear what they say..but urika!!!! Lol.
I shouldnt be laughing just yet. Atleast until they fix it FO FREE!!!! ☝??

·
Registered
435 Posts
A few weeks back, I drove from my home town to Crested Butte, CO which is about 5 hours one way. On both trips (up and back), I averaged 40mpg and this is with the eco button off. I really think this button was just a marketing tool into labeling it as eco friendly and nothing more.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I once had a discussion with a BMW power train engineer and we got on the subject of these sport/ Eco/tour buttons on every car now. His exact comment to me was "yup it doesn't do much, but it's cheap, already part of the programming, and everybody else has it , so we're obligated to do it."

I run mine off......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts