Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A few weeks back, I drove from my home town to Crested Butte, CO which is about 5 hours one way. On both trips (up and back), I averaged 40mpg and this is with the eco button off. I really think this button was just a marketing tool into labeling it as eco friendly and nothing more.
Yep, a gimmick like the real time MPG gauge.
Wow...40??? Thats crazy!!!
Good for you!!! What brand if gas do you put in? The guys told me today...the HRV gas mileage is heavily affected by outside temps too..

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 6 speed manual does not have that Eco button at all.

As such my guess is that it effects the ratios used by the CVT in some way but from comments here probably not in a way many of you find beneficial.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
The eco-on button should affect two things: the accellerator pedal (a longer throw for econ) and the way the cvt trans shifts (getting out of accell mode and into cruise sooner) than eco-off.

In order to have this button really work the best, it takes a DCT transmission where you can actually directly affect the shift points and the duration, like a Porsche PDK. Also many cars add a sport mode, which makes it hold each gear longer, a shorter gas pedal so it increases speed, and a tightening up of the steering (less assist) so it's more sporty. Our car however, is so anemic at 140 hp so sport mode is out of the question.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Good for you!!! What brand if gas do you put in? The guys told me today...the HRV gas mileage is heavily affected by outside temps too..
Conoco 85 Octane and temps were in the teens. Keep in mind, this was keeping a steady speed of 65mph on average. City driving with a lot of stop and go traffic, the mpg drops to roughly 30.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Brand makes a huge difference in MPG. More than it should IMHO.

If we use Shell or Sunoco, we're lucky to get 25mpg. Mobile is 27-28mpg. BP gas gets us over 30mpg regularly. Too much city driving to see more than that, but 40 should be very doable on a good stretch of highway. I average 30 with my Dart, and it'll get up to 47 on the open road.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Brand makes a huge difference in MPG. More than it should IMHO.

If we use Shell or Sunoco, we're lucky to get 25mpg. Mobile is 27-28mpg. BP gas gets us over 30mpg regularly. Too much city driving to see more than that, but 40 should be very doable on a good stretch of highway. I average 30 with my Dart, and it'll get up to 47 on the open road.

I stick to 85 octane Valero brand amost all the time since the station is close to my home and the price is competitive. In the warmer months I get 30- 31 mpg in town and 38- 41 on the hwy. In winter it drops to 28 mpg in town. I have an AWD. I am very pleased with the mpg since my 2010 Honda Fit got about the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention. Did a few tanks with and without eco. Saw zero difference. My round trip each day is close to 105 miles, and it's about 60% freeway/traffic and 40% back roads at 55mph.

We have Valero here, but never tried it. There isn't a station near me that I'm aware of, but I have seen a few around. Have the AWD also, and typically run regular which is 87 Octane here. My Dart takes premium, but people really need to know to only use it when the car calls for it. Putting 89, 91, or 93 octane in a car designed for 87 is a waste of money.

Reactions: Explorer83

·
Registered
13 Posts
The ECO button in my opinion just doesn't allow the engine from revving up as quickly. My gf has a 2013 Civic and I tested this theory and seems to hold true. All else being equal, with the gas pedal at the same position during acceleration, the car accelerates quicker with ECO off vs ECO on. It's a gimmick with no real purpose imo and is actually dangerous to have on because it won't allow you to accelerate as quickly if you need to.

Interesting to note, I've got the ECO function in my 5 Speed HOnda HRV LX, but seems some people don't.

·
Banned
609 Posts
I always assumed the eco button was an overdrive. An overdrive on a CVT doesn’t really make sense…on paper sure, and maybe 1% of the time driving. I think any transmission that picks less than 2000 RPM on the freeway is going to get worse mileage. But I am not a Honda engineer. It is like the NFL execs making the rules for the players. If they asked the players, the rules would likely be very different. Honda is very clear about gasoline grades…but I do agree that some brands seem better than others

·
Registered
54 Posts
This video gives a good description of eco mode.
https://youtu.be/tV_-2kamXYg

From the manual:

While in ECON mode, the system has greater temperature fluctuations.
The ECON button turns the ECON mode on
and off. The ECON mode helps you improve
your fuel economy by adjusting the
performance of the engine, transmission,
heating and cooling system*/climate control
system*, and cruise control*.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are so many debates online about gas brands vs each other... One of my friends delivers gas for his job. Besides buying higher octane, he says gas is gas is gas. Most average Joe's won't notice a difference day to day. Just don't fill up if you see a truck at a gas station.

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
0:):nerd:

In my experience with other Hondas, ECON doesn't make a big difference UNLESS you adapt your driving to it. In other words, if the ECON setting makes acceleration more sluggish and you press the Go-Pedal harder to compensate, you are NOT going to see a difference.>:D

Regards this talk of fuel brand....YES, all fuel starts out from the refinery the same, but it gets brand-specific additives when delivered, at the station.

No one has mentioned Top-Tier fuels yet (those with a certified amount of extra detergents). Aren't these recommended for our direct-injection engines? Valero is on the Top Tier list.
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Reactions: Path08

·
Registered
1 Posts
I turned the ECO button off and there was no change in mileage. For me, I like having it off because now I don't have that stupid green icon lit on my dash. Now, if only I could make the speedo ring stay at the color I choose instead of switching to green while driving.

Personally, I think the whole ECO button is just a scam into making people think the car is being green.
On my 2016 HRV there is a way to turn on and off the color light on the dash. Although I do not think you can make it one solid permanent color.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts