Honda HR-V Forum banner

Electronic Parking Brake.

55K views 63 replies 38 participants last post by  Explorer83 
#1 ·
Given that after a while (10+ years), most electronics in cars start crapping out... do any of you have concerns about the electronic parking brake crapping out, and the cost to fix it? I think I would prefer a good ol' mechanical parking brake. Heck, I would choose manual windows if I had the option in modern cars.

#2 · (Edited)
Oh yea, those mechanical parking brakes worked forever..... :rolleyes:

Can't tell ya how many vehicles I had with mechanical parking brakes freeze up solid within the first 5-7 years.
Anything can fail....

I'll take the chances and go with something electronic over a cable running the length of the vehicle exposed to the elements, especially the salt and crud of Minnesota winters.

Sure electronics can fail....but they've become a lot more reliable as time marches on and technology improves.
I surely wouldn't sweat it...

#4 ·
This got me thinking - how often do normal people use the parking brake. On my previous car, I knew it as the emergency brake, and it was rarely used - maybe if parking on an incline or if doing any work on the car. Do most people use the parking brake every time they park?

#5 ·
We do. Got into the habit with our mt Vibe. Forgot one day after parking in the lane way got out of the car and knocked the gear shift into neutral without realizing it and about an hour later heard a thud. Walked out to find that we now have a licence plate holder impression in our garage door:crying::eek:

#10 ·
That's not what my manual says. You use to brake to DEactivate it, but not to activate it.

Brake System
Use the parking brake to keep the vehicle stationary when parked. You can
manually apply and release, or automatically release it.
■ Manual operations
Use the electric parking brake switch to apply or release the brake. Manually
releasing the parking brake using the switch helps your vehicle start slowly and
smoothly when facing down hill on steep hills.
■ To apply manually
Pull the electric parking brake switch up gently
and securely.
-- The electric parking brake indicator
comes on.
■ To release manually
1. Depress the brake pedal.
2. Press the electric parking brake switch.
-- The electric parking brake indicator goes
off.
■ To release automatically
Use the accelerator pedal to release the brake when you are starting the vehicle
facing uphill, or in a traffic jam.
Depressing the accelerator pedal releases the parking brake.
Depressing the accelerator pedal while releasing the clutch pedal releases the
parking brake.
Gently depress the accelerator pedal.
off.
Gently depress the accelerator pedal and
release the clutch pedal.
off.
You can release the parking brake automatically when:
• You are wearing the driver’s seat belt.
• The engine is running.
• The transmission is not in (P or (N.
• The transmission is not in (N.

#13 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Never realized the parking brake could be used without depressing the brake first.....just always did it this way.

So, anyone know how/what this actually does compared to the old mechanical parking brake?
You can feel and hear it activate something.

#16 ·
Here's a brief explanation from a google search:

How does electronic parking brake work?

A traditional handbrake is very simple: by pulling the lever up, you are pulling two cables which run to each of the rear brakes. By adding tension to these cables, this in turn causes the pads (or ‘shoes’ for cars with drum brakes) to squeeze against the discs (or drums) to hold the rear wheels firmly in place. Some cars with disc brakes have separate handbrake drum-brake shoes or even a separate disc-brake caliper for the handbrake.

Put simply, an electronic parking brake replaces this mechanical system with an electrical one. By pressing the switch, motors on each brake caliper squeeze the pads into the disc. You’ll hear a reassuring whirring of the motors as the button is pressed (or pulled), meaning that you know that the car is held safely, which isn’t always a guarantee with a regular handbrake.

#30 ·
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but does the park brake activate if pulled whilst the car is driving at normal highway road speeds? Just wondering if a passenger pulled it up by mistake, or a poor joke, whether it would suddenly have the car braking/losing control and possibly causing an accident.

#37 ·
I found out the hard way recently that if I'm parked in the garage with a dead battery, I can't get out. I can put the trans in neutral using the shifter release hole and a key, but the parking brake will not release without electricity for the motor. In this case, fly by wire don't cut it.

#38 ·
Why so many auto manufacturers have gone to an overly complex electronic parking brake system is a good question.

It's not about technology, it's about solutions and an electronic parking brake is not a solution. As your situation shows.

So, one would have to get 12V to the vehicle somehow to release the parking brakes.
Portable battery booster, battery charger or jumper cables.

Or a floor jack under the rear of the HRV and roll it out.

Reactions: Phalkon30
#39 ·
I actually like the reliability and security of the electric brake hold, every cable brake I've had failed at least once and took up more room up front.

I believe there is a maintenance mode you can put the brakes in using an Allen wrench, but would require removing the rear wheels and backing the brake out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#43 ·
I think when it happened when they put that "brakehold feature" in the car - which is just an extension of the electric brake... now which came first ?
- the option created in order to generate sales, or was that a by product of them removing the cable and shift lever instead ??

#42 ·
As above, I think it is more to do with styling and ergonomics rather than for cost. In some model ranges here you can only get the e-brake in top trim or at least it is not available in bottom spec variants.

I think due to automation and more intrusive driver aids It is only a matter of time before manual transmission is either removed totally, or may become a cost option.

This is the centre console of the recently released MkIV Skoda Octavia, a mainstream hatchback based on the VW Golf, but bigger and cheaper. As you can see the previous DSG 'stick' is now a rocker switch which creates a cleaner look.

As for the OP's original post, I'm surprised there is no built in redundancy mode for when such an incident happens. Have you contacted your local dealer or Honda US to find out what the official Honda procedure is when this happens?

Regards,

HT

#49 ·
HILL START ASSIST
This feature uses the VSA/ABS modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure to all four brakes for up to 2 seconds after removing your foot from the brake pedal if the vehicle is stopped on an incline while in gear. The brakes release as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal.

BRAKE HOLD
This feature uses the VSA/ABS modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure to all four brakes for up to 10 minutes after removing your foot from the brake pedal while stopped in gear. The brakes release as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal.

ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE
A pedal or lever, cable, and sometimes small drum brakes on the rear wheels are replaced by a button and two, small electric motors - one mounted to each rear caliper that forces the existing pads against the rotor. The EPB is not used for HSA or BH, although it will engage during BH as a backup if a problem is detected.

Hill Start Assist is used on models with and without electric parking brakes. Brake Hold is only used on models with an electric parking brake.

EPB advantages
Less weight - no pedal/lever, cable, or shoes
Less interior space required - no pedal/lever
No maintenance - no cable to adjust - the actuators self-calibrate
Added safety - can automatically apply under certain conditions

EPB disadvantages
Must be manually disengaged if there is no power available

#52 ·
What I find strange about this is that, because I have the AWD with the full color cluster display, I see a power distribution image of how much is going to the front or back.

When I have my foot on the brake, there's NO power going to either front or back. Obvious enough, right? If the brake hold feature is using the ABS/VSA, then... it should also display the same as if I had my foot on the brake, right? But it shows some power going to the front wheels.

If I have it in D or S gear but with parking brake on (and foot off all pedals), it does the same thing... shows power going to the front.

Both BH and EPB automatically release if I'm in gear, seatbelt on and then press the gas pedal.

This is why I posted some while back that I think the BH uses the EPB system itself.

To me, this makes some sense, as it avoids over complicating the ABS/VSA system with more tasks it might need to perform and because the EPB already does the same things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.