Honda HR-V Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
As above, I think it is more to do with styling and ergonomics rather than for cost. In some model ranges here you can only get the e-brake in top trim or at least it is not available in bottom spec variants.

I think due to automation and more intrusive driver aids It is only a matter of time before manual transmission is either removed totally, or may become a cost option.

This is the centre console of the recently released MkIV Skoda Octavia, a mainstream hatchback based on the VW Golf, but bigger and cheaper. As you can see the previous DSG 'stick' is now a rocker switch which creates a cleaner look.

As for the OP's original post, I'm surprised there is no built in redundancy mode for when such an incident happens. Have you contacted your local dealer or Honda US to find out what the official Honda procedure is when this happens?

Regards,

HT

I don't think ebrake is cheaper with the extra electrical components. The regular hand brake is a simple cable attached to a ratchet. ebrake does save interior space. The shift lever is the next thing to go.
I think when it happened when they put that "brakehold feature" in the car - which is just an extension of the electric brake... now which came first ?
- the option created in order to generate sales, or was that a by product of them removing the cable and shift lever instead ??

I think when it happened when they put that "brakehold feature" in the car - which is just an extension of the electric brake... now which came first ?
- the option created in order to generate sales, or was that a by product of them removing the cable and shift lever instead ??
I thought the "Brake Hold" activates the front brakes and the "P" parking brake activates the rear brakes.

I thought the "Brake Hold" activates the front brakes and the "P" parking brake activates the rear brakes.
I dont know that for sure , but i do know the rear brake has an electric actuator on it
- so it would make most sense (to me) to have that same device work for both brake hold AND parking brake.

I dont know that for sure , but i do know the rear brake has an electric actuator on it
- so it would make most sense (to me) to have that same device work for both brake hold AND parking brake.
I agree. That would make the most sense. But when you apply each electric brake the car reacts differently, very subtle.

You could be right. The Kona I had has an electronic brake hold and also a hand E-brake. The main reason is probably interior design. They can do a lot more without the hand brake in the way. For some reason, I have not bothered to use the brake hold feature.

It is kind of ironic. Brake hold used to be for manual transmission cars stopping on an incline. But now they are disappearing.

You could be right. The Kona I had has an electronic brake hold and also a hand E-brake. The main reason is probably interior design. They can do a lot more without the hand brake in the way. For some reason, I have not bothered to use the brake hold feature.

It is kind of ironic. Brake hold used to be for manual transmission cars stopping on an incline. But now they are disappearing.
I have an S2000 with manual transmission (no automatic offered as an option) and I frequently use the brake lever when stopped at a light on a steep uphill incline to keep from rolling back into the car behind me. I'm pretty quick with a clutch but the car still rolls a bit unless I use the brake lever.

HILL START ASSIST
This feature uses the VSA/ABS modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure to all four brakes for up to 2 seconds after removing your foot from the brake pedal if the vehicle is stopped on an incline while in gear. The brakes release as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal.

BRAKE HOLD
This feature uses the VSA/ABS modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure to all four brakes for up to 10 minutes after removing your foot from the brake pedal while stopped in gear. The brakes release as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal.

ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE
A pedal or lever, cable, and sometimes small drum brakes on the rear wheels are replaced by a button and two, small electric motors - one mounted to each rear caliper that forces the existing pads against the rotor. The EPB is not used for HSA or BH, although it will engage during BH as a backup if a problem is detected.

Hill Start Assist is used on models with and without electric parking brakes. Brake Hold is only used on models with an electric parking brake.

EPB advantages
Less weight - no pedal/lever, cable, or shoes
Less interior space required - no pedal/lever
No maintenance - no cable to adjust - the actuators self-calibrate
Added safety - can automatically apply under certain conditions

EPB disadvantages
Must be manually disengaged if there is no power available

[QUOTE = "Sol, post: 460064, membre: 17362"]
Je pensais que le "Brake Hold" active les freins avant et le frein de stationnement "P" active les freins arrière.
[/CITATION]
Le maintien du frein est utile sur une voiture manuelle.

HILL START ASSIST
This feature uses the VSA/ABS modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure to all four brakes for up to 2 seconds after removing your foot from the brake pedal if the vehicle is stopped on an incline while in gear. The brakes release as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal.

BRAKE HOLD
This feature uses the VSA/ABS modulator to maintain hydraulic brake pressure to all four brakes for up to 10 minutes after removing your foot from the brake pedal while stopped in gear. The brakes release as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal.

ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE
A pedal or lever, cable, and sometimes small drum brakes on the rear wheels are replaced by a button and two, small electric motors - one mounted to each rear caliper that forces the existing pads against the rotor. The EPB is not used for HSA or BH, although it will engage during BH as a backup if a problem is detected.

Hill Start Assist is used on models with and without electric parking brakes. Brake Hold is only used on models with an electric parking brake.

EPB advantages
Less weight - no pedal/lever, cable, or shoes
Less interior space required - no pedal/lever
No maintenance - no cable to adjust - the actuators self-calibrate
Added safety - can automatically apply under certain conditions

EPB disadvantages
Must be manually disengaged if there is no power available
What I find strange about this is that, because I have the AWD with the full color cluster display, I see a power distribution image of how much is going to the front or back.

When I have my foot on the brake, there's NO power going to either front or back. Obvious enough, right? If the brake hold feature is using the ABS/VSA, then... it should also display the same as if I had my foot on the brake, right? But it shows some power going to the front wheels.

If I have it in D or S gear but with parking brake on (and foot off all pedals), it does the same thing... shows power going to the front.

Both BH and EPB automatically release if I'm in gear, seatbelt on and then press the gas pedal.

This is why I posted some while back that I think the BH uses the EPB system itself.

To me, this makes some sense, as it avoids over complicating the ABS/VSA system with more tasks it might need to perform and because the EPB already does the same things.

I know this is an old thread but are there long term issues between using the two ways to release the electronic park brake to move the car?
1. From D -> step brake and press to release elec park brake
2. From D -> step on gas pedal, elec park brake will automatically release

I know this is an old thread but are there long term issues between using the two ways to release the electronic park brake to move the car?
1. From D -> step brake and press to release elec park brake
2. From D -> step on gas pedal, elec park brake will automatically release
2 only works if your seatbelt is on. If it's not on, you're fighting the brake.

Long term wise... I have no idea, I've only had mine for 2 years and so far had one issue with the epb, in that the switch failed. The only way to get around it (until it got fixed) was to put the seatbelt on and have it automatically release.

It could be that because I use my HR-V for deliveries and rely on the epb along with parking brake when I stop at the restaurant or the customer, I "wore out" the switch faster than most?

At least the EPB on the HRV is far superior to the cable park brake that we had on our 2013 & 2016 CRV's. They were absolutely useless on an incline, both cars used to roll down this driveway. As you can see from the link below, it is not a steep driveway either.
Driveway

We had the Hill Holder brake system on our 2003 XS Subaru Forester 5sp manual, it was a fabulous system but it made you lazy. All you had to do was keep your foot on the clutch until it was time to roll. Your reaction time and ability to heel & toe a manual transmission was slowly lost though.

If the handbrake is not holding the car. the cable is stretched and needs adjustment. I have no issue using handbrake to keep my 05 accord on a steep incline. I prefer EPB, never needs to adjust the cable.

If the handbrake is not holding the car. the cable is stretched and needs adjustment.
I requested the Dealership adjust the cable at each service and it failed the very next day to hold the car on the driveway.
The 2 x CRV's that we have owned were both the same, the park brake was hopeless.

If they were drums, I'd say the auto adjuster might've seized. My 2010 Fit is currently out of action because this is the second time that's happened... so it'll roll down any incline.

The CRV has discs in the rear, right? Not sure how that goes.

If they were drums, I'd say the auto adjuster might've seized. My 2010 Fit is currently out of action because this is the second time that's happened... so it'll roll down any incline.

The CRV has discs in the rear, right? Not sure how that goes.
Yep! Rears were disc, I suspect the rear disc setup was a disc/drum combo brake, similar to what my old Forester had.
Subaru Rear Brake

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.