Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading through the owners manual and in the oil change section it mentions removing the lower cover for access, 2WD models only. Sure enough there is no cover on my AWD LX. This means easy access to the oil filter and sump plug but also the bottom of the motor is exposed to mud and winter salt spray. I'm guessing it is a clearance issue but I might try to modify and fit a cover to keep off the road crap, depending on the cost of the plastic panel.

The Honda OEM cover part # is 7411-T7W-A00

Or maybe a metal bash plate if one becomes available, no plans for off roading but they look cool:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 2013 civic I traded in had the 1.8 liter and he underbody panels as well. Trust me, that motor was still filthy from road salt and dirt, it doesn't help much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
From my understanding it is more for aerodynamics/fuel economy than engine protection. Perhaps with the AWD gear hanging out behind the engine, the cover didn't help the fuel economy enough to be included/modified for the AWD variants. You should be happy that you don't have to remove that cover for oil changes (if you do them yourself)!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be doing oil and filter changes. I'm glad to see the filter is easy to get to, my last two cars had the filter behind the engine block facing the firewall. Could not see them and had to find them by feel, fun when the car is fully warmed up!

Just curious as to why Honda would only put it on the 2WD version and with the nasty corrosive winter road treatments they use in the northeast US, any protection would be welcome.

If I ever see a 2WD version parked somewhere I will take a peek to see how well it covers, but it is not high on my mod list. All weather floor and cargo mats, roof rack and hitch are more important to me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If anything, that panel could get in the way of underbody car washes. Possible corrosion problem! Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Just curious as to why Honda would only put it on the 2WD version and with the nasty corrosive winter road treatments they use in the northeast US, any protection would be welcome.
The FWD version is rare as Big Foot in the snow belt states.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I own the LX (BIG FOOT ) New York edition HRV and yes the whole under carriage of the car is protected with pannel covers. Visually the bottom of the car is pretty much flat from front to back.
My hypothisis is that they are for aerodynamics , hence the improved fuel economy. The whole underside of the car is flat from front to back giving the car a slip stream effect. I think they dont do it on the AWD cars because the transfer cases and rear drive shaft attatchments are bulky. Any form of covers wold probably increase drag due the myriad of shapes and angles it would have to be and it would definately further decrease graound clearence and eventually get ripped out from under the car with any from of off road use the first time it bottoms out. So I would guess you are much better off with out it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was reading through the owners manual and in the oil change section it mentions removing the lower cover for access, 2WD models only. Sure enough there is no cover on my AWD LX. This means easy access to the oil filter and sump plug but also the bottom of the motor is exposed to mud and winter salt spray. I'm guessing it is a clearance issue but I might try to modify and fit a cover to keep off the road crap, depending on the cost of the plastic panel.

The Honda OEM cover part # is 7411-T7W-A00

Or maybe a metal bash plate if one becomes available, no plans for off roading but they look cool:D
Hello! I have a 2016 HRV Ex-L Navi AWD with no splash guard installed. I notice an extra 3/4" reinforcement on the crossmember under the transfert case which prevent to install the original splash guard. I ordered the part from Honda & I trimmed it of by 2" of the rear part. All other 6 screws were installed as per Honda specs. For now, I used TyRaps for the rear end but on my next oil change, I will weld fit some plastic extender from the part I previously cut off & install better fastener.
The part cost at regular price at Honda: $67cdn + hardware. I assume that it will cost me $7000 in gasoline in the next 4 years & if I save 0.5% in fuel economy, it will be paid off & all the mud, salt, etc won't get to my engine. I presumed Honda will built one that fit in 2017 so you may wait for it & buy it already trimmed!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Another hidden gem for the 2WD versions is the amount of space in the spare tire area! I could fit like 4 glove boxes worth of crap in there if I wanted to.

I wonder if rock chips and road debris are reduced with the plastic panels, it's kinda neat to see how hidden everything is under there (until you have to work on it or install a hitch)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Along these lines, I have the FWD and recently did my own oil change. To do the oil change requires removing the lower engine cover. How ITF do you get the plastic push screws out without breaking them? And more importantly where do you find them once you break them?

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
you can get a bag of 20/30 clips on eBay for like $3. same thing for fender clips, my old civic used to have those falling off left and right.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts