Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here, and wondering if any one has done yet,# a engine swap to HRV from CRV ?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Anything is possible. With enough time and money. But what is really the point? You asking this question as your only posts alone probably dictates that you have neither the money nor time to complete this swap.

buy a completed car, don’t be a hero and try to dive into something you have no experience in. Cars are enough of a money pit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it's a reasonable question and one I've thought about (but could never do anything about) before. I had a 2019 CR-V and while it wasn't speedy, it was a heck of a lot speedier than my HR-V. Same gas mileage, too. It looks to be about the same size, comes from the same basic lineup from the same manufacturer. If someone likes the HR-V but was looking for more zip, it might make sense depending on the difficulty of the swap. You never know, it might be the next big HR-V thing. Someone just has to do it once. I used to be BIG into Pontiac Fieros (I've owned 6 at one time or another). There were 2 or 3 very popular engine swaps. At some point, someone had to ask, will XXXXX fit?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's a reasonable question and one I've thought about (but could never do anything about) before. I had a 2019 CR-V and while it wasn't speedy, it was a heck of a lot speedier than my HR-V. Same gas mileage, too. It looks to be about the same size, comes from the same basic lineup from the same manufacturer. If someone likes the HR-V but was looking for more zip, it might make sense depending on the difficulty of the swap. You never know, it might be the next big HR-V thing. Someone just has to do it once. I used to be BIG into Pontiac Fieros (I've owned 6 at one time or another). There were 2 or 3 very popular engine swaps. At some point, someone had to ask, will XXXXX fit?
Thanks, for answer. I have a 2019 HRV and just was wondering about it. I used to do some engine and part swaps for different cars. Trying to get into this again. But sometimes asking a question people takes it the wrong way.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
There are no dumb questions, only dumb assumptions.
I would put those comment of someone thinking they know anything about your finances or time as dumb assumptions.
Changing the engine could be a huge investment.
I also have a 2017 civic hatch 1.5 turbo
Light, quick, with tons of get up if you ask for it
I have heard some people putting turbos in the 1.8, might be an easier option than a new engine

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you are talking about a current crv engine than I would say get a current awd crv and a hondata flash pro, if you are talking about something like a k24 from a pre 2016 than yes you can but it’s going to be a lot of time and effort unless you know a fabricator and wiring expert etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
^ That will be the pain in the ass, the wiring.
I have seen all types of swaps:
Hellcat motor in a miata
LS Corvette motor in everything

it can ALL be done. The wiring...while NOT inpossible willrequire WAY more skill than the swap.
Imagain... a Hemi 5.7 AWD in the HR-V.
Damn... that could be fun!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
it can ALL be done. The wiring...while NOT inpossible willrequire WAY more skill than the swap.
Imagain... a Hemi 5.7 AWD in the HR-V.
Damn... that could be fun!
I'm imagining something more sinister. An AMC 401 Police Interceptor. Given the size of the engine bay, this would have to switch to a mid-engine car. Toss out the back seat, throw in a very short drive shaft, making it RWD only. LOL...

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think going to an Element with an AWD transmission drive train might fit right in.
- but I have no idea how the powertain module effects other functions of things in the HR-V so there are a huge mess of issue to contend with. Even with a Hondata tool to re-program the brains they may not function with the latest computer set ups from Honda.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
644 Posts
I think sometimes the most appropriate response to "Why????" is "Why not?"

Jeremy Clarkson raved about the bog standard Skoda Yeti on Top Gear

Imagine what he would have thought of one fitted with an Audi 2.5 TTRS engine giving 510bhp?

Apparently the owner has fettled with it again and it is now giving out over 700bhp!

Other examples of Why Not:

However, if you do decide to go down this route, I would strongly advise to plan ahead to avoid this predicament:

Good luck with your endeavours, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Back in high school, when I was young and EXTREMELY foolish, one of our friends had a sleeper that we'd race on the streets against the polished queens. It was an AMC Gremlin. It was blue, with a white racing stripe, a primer gray front fender, and a green hood. In a word, ugly! And we'd race, and beat those guys who had spent tons and tons on their cars. Afterward they would ask to see what was under the hood. We'd show them a greasy, stock engine. What we didn't tell them it was a stock AMC 401 Police Interceptor in the Gremlin. HP to Weight ratio, INTENSE! lol

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My first car was a 69 MG, 1100 cc, so not a lot of power but it was light, heard about people putting in big engines
My first one was a 66 VW Beetle 1300cc worked on the engine from top to bottom, making it 1800cc. Then after that a 73 Nissan 1200, 98 HP, 3 speed automatic, swapping a L24 complete engine, originally 150 hp., taking it to next level on that time, with not to much of $$ to play with to 170-180 hp. Raced a couple of times and them "KABOOM" SOLD $$$$. Ans making Daihatsu Charades with 3 cylinders, Suzuki Forsas, Hyunday Ponys, mini pick-up, Datsun B120 mini pick too. Just trying to make them fly. And that was the way making $$, selling them, and getting dirty. By the way I had mechanics friends working with me. No pics to document it, that is a sad part from my side.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you are going going to convert it to 5-6 speed it’s a lot easier, there are premade kseries harnesses and ktuned blank ecus.

I’ve done alot of motor swaps and you really have to love the platform and be willing to eat the mods in resale. I am oddly happy with the power stick, I would like to do a rebuilt and improved stock engine and maybe some lightweight stuff but just don’t feel like it needs more.

if I had 2 and wanted them for off road and onroad it might be different but when you’ve had all motor s2ks that can outrun most things in a straight line and around a track and street bikes that could kill anything else within reason it makes no sense anymore to make a loud cuv.

that being said rotrex kit might be fun and I would buy a reflash if one was available.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
My first one was a 66 VW Beetle 1300cc worked on the engine from top to bottom, making it 1800cc.
When I was in the Army back in the 70's, a mate & I bummed a ride into Sydney (Aust.) with a guy in a VW beetle.
Bloody hell, did that thing have some get up & go in it, the guy had transplanted a Porsche engine into it. Never asked him what cc or hp etc. to enthralled with the wild ride. 😁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts