Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Buy Yours Here! - http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/DL162.html

Remove the meep, meep and upgrade to real sounding horns. These sport horns are designed to replace the stock Fit and HR-V horns. They are direct plug and play to make your installation a breeze. Low and High horns are included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4i-WA2JrE
They sound great. Will definitely get them.

Where are the horns on the HRV and how do you get to them? Do you have to remove any body panels?

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is funny, I just used my horn for the first time the other day & was a bit embarrassed by the sound! Definitely interested in swapping it out if it's not too much work

·
Registered
54 Posts
These look good and are cheap. I already put a stebel compact truck horn in my Hrv. But is a more involved install. Had to put a relay in because the horn requires separate wiring for a 20 amp fuse. But its loud and low freq. 300hz. The stock passenger side horn is tough to get to but these 2 horns should be pretty easy to install

·
Vendor
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They sound great. Will definitely get them.

Where are the horns on the HRV and how do you get to them? Do you have to remove any body panels?
As stated in the video you don't have to remove the bumper for installation. It made it much easier to show on video however. The passenger side horn can easily be reached by pulling down the lower splash shield. The driver's side however will be a little tougher to reach using the same technique. Pulling just the corner of the bumper will provide easier access.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
It doesn't really matter which side you put the high or low tone on. When you pull off the original horn however it will say right on the horn bracket whether it is high or low.
I was hoping the low is on the driver's side. It seems to be the easiest to change. The high is for the door lock sounds? That I don't have issue with.

Thanks

·
Vendor
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer the question on which stock horn is on which side, the driver's side is the low tone and passenger is the high tone. It doesn't matter however which tone you place where if you are changing out the horns.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How do you remove the retaining clips that hold the lower splash shield without breaking anything? Do I need a special tool or just pull down on the splash shield?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
These look good and are cheap. I already put a stebel compact truck horn in my Hrv. But is a more involved install. Had to put a relay in because the horn requires separate wiring for a 20 amp fuse. But its loud and low freq. 300hz. The stock passenger side horn is tough to get to but these 2 horns should be pretty easy to install
The first mod I made to my Fit was to install a Nautilus air horn, which also requires a relay (as I found out when the car died a mile from home with a blown fuse).

These horns appear to be plug and play, which is a big deal, as I had to fabricate my own connectors for the Nautilus.

If I remember correctly, the 2009 Fit had only a single, wimpy horn, so in comparison the HR-V with dual horns is loud enough that I'm not immediately planning to do this.

An air horn on a small car really makes an impression when some distracted ditz on a cellphone decides to change lanes on you without looking.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Buy Yours Here! - http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/DL162.html

Remove the meep, meep and upgrade to real sounding horns. These sport horns are designed to replace the stock Fit and HR-V horns. They are direct plug and play to make your installation a breeze. Low and High horns are included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4i-WA2JrE
Just replaced the horns today with the ones from College Hills Honda. The installation took a lot longer than I expected since on most other cars I have worked on the horns are readily accessible from the top. On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.

You need to remove the right and left splash shields, don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car. Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side. That is why the video shows the bumper removed. Be careful not to bend the horn support brackets when removing the bolts. They are 12mm and quite snug.

The new horns sound like a "real" car and not like a toy. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just replaced the horns today with the ones from College Hills Honda. The installation took a lot longer than I expected since on most other cars I have worked on the horns are readily accessible from the top. On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.

You need to remove the right and left splash shields, don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car. Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side.
Your post is very timely. I also bought the horns, but are still in the box on my counter. Couple of questions to clarify:

On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.
Can you see the driver's side horn from the top? if so can you change it from the top?

don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car.

Can you please explain?

Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side.

So, will it be easier to remove the front bumper?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your post is very timely. I also bought the horns, but are still in the box on my counter. Couple of questions to clarify:

On the HR-V the passenger side horn is not even visible from the top.
Can you see the driver's side horn from the top? if so can you change it from the top?

don't bother removing the shield retainers in the center of the car.

Can you please explain?

Even with the splash shields pushed aside it is quite awkward to get to the single bolt holding each horn particularly on the driver's side.

So, will it be easier to remove the front bumper?
Yes, you can see the drivers side horn from the top. Just shine a light down near the battery. The horn looks like a flat black disk about 4 inches in diameter held on a bracket with a wire connected to it. The problem is that it is located halfway between the top and bottom of the car and you really need to get both hands on it - one for the wrench and one to hold the horn assembly. If you just put a wrench on it the bracket will turn along with the bolt so detach the connector first (push in on the tab and pull it off). The bracket has a small alignment tang that sits in a hole in the frame. If you turn the bracket with the bolt, that tang will break off. That is what happened to me but not a big deal. The passenger side horn is much closer to the bottom of the car so I would suggest doing that one first to see how everything is put together.

There are many black round retainers that hold the splash shields in place. Just pry the center part of each retainer out with a couple of small screwdrivers then pull it out. It is similar to a wall anchor. There are actually 3 splash shields - right left and center. You only need to move the right and left shields aside so just remove the retainers that hold these along with the ends of the center shield (the retainer goes through both shields). You don't have to remove the retainers in the middle that only hold the center shield.

I also did not reuse the original brackets on the new horns since they are held on quite snugly. I did remove one of the two brackets that came with each horn and sanded off the paint by the mounting hole to get a good ground.

Definitely would be easier to change the horns with the front bumper off but I don't know how easy that is to do. After removing at least a dozen retainers from the bottom of the car there was still quite a few more holding the bumper on. The bumper appears to be part of the center splash shield. I would not recommend doing this unless you have other work to do in that area. Just take your time. The new sound is worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
Just replaced the driver side horn with the low tone. I'll probably leave the passenger side alone until I have more time. It's no longer MeeMee anymore, the front end vibrates when I use the new horn :)

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
Ok, I see what I did wrong. The replacement is bigger than stock horn. It was in contact with the car frame and causing the vibrations. I bent the mounting bracket back so it's no longer in contact with the frame. It's much better now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just replaced the driver side horn with the low tone. I'll probably leave the passenger side alone until I have more time. It's no longer MeeMee anymore, the front end vibrates when I use the new horn :)
The passenger side horn is easier to do than the drivers side. You can get to it fairly easily from the bottom after removing some of the shield.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts