Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at the window stickers that people have posted, it clearly shows that, while the car is manufactured in Mexico, both the engine and transmission are built in Japan.

Odd since Honda has been spending money to build assembly lines right next to the manufacturing plant, to have both these items built in Mexico as well.

I suspect this might be a temporary situation, to bolster the initial demand and prevent the distribution/supply issues that haunted Honda with the Fit release. It would not surprise me at all to see both the engine and transmission being built in Mexico in the near future.

If that is the case, which I think it is, the early HR-V's will become the most sought after, both now and in the future (resale value).

·
Registered
185 Posts
I noticed that too on the sticker (below), and was relieved to see that the two most important components - the engine and transmission were built in Japan even though everything else was assembled in Mexico. The window stickers for the 2015 FITs didn't have this. The engine was Mexican, the transmission often Indonesian or Philippines.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Honda might want to take another look at their math....

Parts:
American/Canadian = 10%
Mexico = 60%
Japan = 20%

Where's the last 10% of the car come from?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is different from the window stickers I was seeing yesterday with the early posts. I recall seeing 80% Mexico and 20% Japan, I think. I will need to research that and see what is different.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is different from the window stickers I was seeing yesterday with the early posts. I recall seeing 80% Mexico and 20% Japan, I think. I will need to research that and see what is different.
I must just be getting old. I could not find any window stickers that said 80% 20%. They are in my head, but not on this forum.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you look at the window stickers that people have posted, it clearly shows that, while the car is manufactured in Mexico, both the engine and transmission are built in Japan.

Odd since Honda has been spending money to build assembly lines right next to the manufacturing plant, to have both these items built in Mexico as well.

I suspect this might be a temporary situation, to bolster the initial demand and prevent the distribution/supply issues that haunted Honda with the Fit release. It would not surprise me at all to see both the engine and transmission being built in Mexico in the near future.

If that is the case, which I think it is, the early HR-V's will become the most sought after, both now and in the future (resale value).
I was thinking that another reason these engines and transmissions are being supplied by Japan, might be the delay everyone experienced with the Dock worker strike issue on the West coast (since resolved, but not before wrecking havoc on many businesses). It seems parts could not get to their designation and so many companies (with deep pockets), were flying in the required parts. An expensive option, but necessary if you were in the "just on time" production/assembly business.

Whatever the reason, it represents a huge incentive to buy your HRV now, and not later. Japanese factory's are almost 100% robotic, which accounts for the superior assembly, and why many people only buy cars assembled in Japan (My wife and her Mazda CX-5 for example).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was thinking that another reason these engines and transmissions are being supplied by Japan, might be the delay everyone experienced with the Dock worker strike issue on the West coast (since resolved, but not before wrecking havoc on many businesses). It seems parts could not get to their designation and so many companies (with deep pockets), were flying in the required parts. An expensive option, but necessary if you were in the "just on time" production/assembly business.

Whatever the reason, it represents a huge incentive to buy your HRV now, and not later. Japanese factory's are almost 100% robotic, which accounts for the superior assembly, and why many people only buy cars assembled in Japan (My wife and her Mazda CX-5 for example).
Hang on--your wife and her CX-5 were assembled in Japan?
>:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does it matter that the link is old as long as it pertains to the topic and the plans haven't changed?
Of course it matters, the factory's "best by" freshness date is fast approaching, soon to expire, like an old gallon of milk in your refrigerator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts