Honda HR-V Forum banner

Ex or Lx...which to buy?

13K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Fearturtle44 
#1 ·
Any suggestion on which model to buy...anyone have the EX? Was the few extras worth it to you? Test drove the HRV this week and my Honda dealer, only Honda Dealer in town, is getting a few next week, of which we get first pick. We have bought close to a dozen Hondas off this dealer within the last 18 years so we are getting a heads up on when they'll be in. Dealer also said they wouldn't be offering any discounts because they are only getting a limited number of HRV's, so expect no discounts he said. Liked the HRV in the test drive but the colour choices are limited, no grey or silver, and red in only the top of the line model. The cup holders suck big time...whoever came up with this design needs to go back to design school.

#18 ·
The keyless locking/unlocking and ignition are totally addictive. Just walk up to a locked car, and the door unlocks (for the passenger door, all doors unlock). Carrying packages with both hands full? No problem, the car unlocks when you get within range — even the hatch.

When leaving the car, to lock just push the little black eraser in the door handle. The only time my key fob leaves my pocket is when I have to unlock the door of my house. I don't ever want another car without this feature.

#4 ·
It's strange- I miss having a key- but to get in the car.
I am definitely having transition to technology issues ;) the push button start is just so easy...no a key isn't hard....but it's great to get in, put my foot on the break and hit the button.

My last car had a CD player. That was as advanced as it got. So maybe I just like it cuz it's cool?
And it's my first brand new car in 22 years.... So everything is super cool

#5 · (Edited)
I went with the EX, just to get a color in Canada, the Blue is great.

It also adds
• Honda LaneWatch® Display
• 180-watt, 6-speaker AM/FM/CD with MP3/Windows Media® Audio playback capability
• One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
• Smart Entry and Push-Button Start
• Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters (CVT only)
• Auto-on/off headlights
• Fog lights
• Dual Zone Automatic climate control system with air filtration
• Rear privacy glass
• Cargo Cover
• Mirror Integrated LED Turn Indicators Variable intermittent wipers
• Lighted vanity mirrors
• Chrome interior door handles, speaker rings and air vent trims

#13 ·
Personally, I'm leaning to the EX model. My budget is tight, but this seems like a worthy upgrade for the price considering all of the features it gives you. Only you can decide. I can see some people sticking with LX purposefully to avoid the touch screen set-up. (Am I the only one living where it gets cold who worries about it in super cold temps? Will I be stuck without control of the heat? I should probably start to search for comments, surely Honda isn't the first doing away with buttons.)

I also have decided the EX to the EX-L is a bigger stretch, and for my budget probably just not a practical choice. (I want leather seats! It's just not a cheap upgrade, and you get most of the same features in an EX like the lane watch, heated seats, touch screen, fog lights, etc.)

#14 ·
Plus you can add on aftermarket leather seats for much cheaper then the EX-L

My audio I control from the steering wheel, so no need for the touch screen.
And with automatic climate control, just set it to 18 for the winter, and you're set! Or I"ll set it for 10, then use the heated seats.
I guess I"ll see in 4 months how it goes.

#16 · (Edited)
The EX does seem to be the sweet spot for the bang for the buck award. It really is worth the extra stretch for those considering the LX. For the extra Cdn$3000 we went for the EXL. We want the leather seats and trim in any vehicle we purchase. Leather just seems to hold up better and look richer overall IMHO.

We are always using the nav. system. Not sure about the lane departure or crash warning systems yet as they are new to us. Used to be a bit of a car collector and appreciate the value of a fully loaded car. Guess that's why there are 32 flavors of ice cream.

#21 ·
EX seems to be the pricing sweet spot, which probably explains why LX and EX-L are usually easier to find. I'm glad I waited. My 2009 came with roof rails; I think I have carried something on the roof twice in 6 years/104,000 miles. Of course, if you are an avid skier or bicycle rider, your perspective may be quite different.

#22 ·
I started my HRV shopping in September 2015 with the intent to buy either a HRV-LX AWD or a CX-3 GX AWD. But as I soon learned, the local dealerships didn't have a lot of the low end models with AWD and auto tranny. It was more bleak at the Honda dealers where there was little or none on the lots.

So fast forward to December, hoping that there were going to be some Honda Canada year end advertised promotions. While other manufacturers were offering some good discounts and 0% financing, Honda barely had any. Mazda was offering a free iPad Mini (whoop de do).

So my plan was to visit Honda dealers on Boxing Day and making a deal on 2 HRVs (yes, my family wanted 2 of them) and I lucked out and found 2 in the colours we wanted (white and metallic grey) but in the EX trim. The Boxing Day special that was offered on the 2 EX AWD made it hard to refuse, and that's how I ended up with the EX versus the LX. In retrospect, if you are going to spend that much money anyhow, it is well worth the extra money for the EX considering what the extras you are getting over the LX.

#28 ·
The heated seats work really in any climate, both my wife and I use them all year around here in Florida because on a long trip, it’s like a heating pad for your back. You’ll appreciate them as you age.

Reactions: Dammit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.