Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's a constant faint rumbling sound coming from the rear end of my 2018 HR-V AWD. The closest analog that I can think of to describe the sound is the sound a warped piece of plywood would make if it were stacked on top of some other plywood in the cargo area of the vehicle and you were driving slowly over a cobblestone street, or maybe a loose cargo area floor panel knocking against the interior frame. The sound is most audible at low speeds, say 15-25 mph. I will take it into the dealership but this is the kind of sound they have been "unable to reproduce" in the past. I think the mechanics must all have hearing loss from working with air tools. Anyone else hear this sound on your HR-V?

P.S. I don't have to be going over any kind of bump for this noise to happen. It is constant, even on smooth pavement.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
377 Posts
If the dealership are unable to replicate the noise you could set your mobile to video/audio record and drive with it secured in your boot. Try it in a few locations; attached to one of the rear headrests, or on the boot floor for instance.

The usual suspects for me would be either the lift up boot floor, or externally around the rear of the exhaust. In some markets the tyre repair kit and tools are stored in a lidded compartment on the passenger side of the boot (NA), if you have that it may be something is not stowed correctly.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
377 Posts
It's worth checking all the cubbies where you may have stored items; door pockets, boot sub trunk (my vehicle is not set up to carry a spare) and so on.

In March my front grille thought it would make acquaintance with a piece of board that had been discarded onto the road. For weeks afterwards I heard a rattle and rumble coming from the OS and initially thought the board may have done some damage to the underside of the vehicle as it passed underneath. Turned out it was a bottle of water that was rattling in the OSR door pocket despite the fact it was wrapped in a thick microfibre cloth. Once it was relocated the rattle and rumble disappeared.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked all the cubbies, the spare-tire area, have tied down the seat-belt for the right-rear, and am still hearing that rumbling sound. Far too much road noise and wind noise on the .MOV that I made with the camera under the car to distinguish any sound. I'll position the camera inside next. But what about this photo of the right rear shock-absorber: does it indicate that the shock is mounted off-center or not correctly installed?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts