Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mobil 1 is my go to. I put it in everything; lawnmowers, tractor, and all 5 vehicles. I'll be changing the hrv every 5k or less. Oil is cheap, engines arent.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
580 Posts
Whatever the Honda mechanics use when I drop it off. As for how often, although it is set for every 12 months or 12,500 miles, thanks to Covid restrictions I had only covered 4,600 miles between the last two services, and I cannot see my mileage being any more than that when it is due its next service in February 2022.

And to think there was a time my annual mileage was so great (36k) I had to get it serviced nearly 4 times a year!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mobil 1 for over 20 years. But lately have gotten some HKS and motul. It’s not cheap, so for most cars, it’s just Mobil 1. It’s not uncommon to find $10 rebates for Mobil 1. So it basically makes it $15 for 5 quarts. Can’t beat that.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
262 Posts
Not to use but what YOU use.........and the oil change intervals
In all seriousness, we follow Honda's recommendations. 0W-20 synthetic (easy to find on sale at good prices). Currently using Costco or Mobil1.

As far as intervals, we are happy to follow the Maintenance Minder. The MM DOES reflect operating conditions (winter stop-n-go VS summer highway cruising). Although, like many owners these days, the yearly replacement interval recommended by Honda seems to be dictating the replacement interval.

Reactions: rszappa1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mobil 1 is my go to. I put it in everything; lawnmowers, tractor, and all 5 vehicles. I'll be changing the hrv every 5k or less. Oil is cheap, engines arent.
Same here. I use the required viscosity in Mobil1 until 75K miles, then I use Mobil1 High Mileage which has additives to protect the seals in the engine. I recently had my Element's valves adjusted by the lead Honda technician whom I've known for over 30 years. The engine has 120K miles on it and the technician asked me what kind of oil I used. Then he showed me the underside of the valve cover and the head of the engine. It looked brand new. He couldn't believe how spotless everything was and it showed no wear at all. The exhaust pipe is always white inside because it has never burned any oil between the 5K mile oil changes. I was impressed that he was impressed.
I use Mobil1 0W-20 AFE (Advanced Fuel Economy) in my HR-V. Just like my other Honda vehicles, it has never burned any oil between the 5K mile changes.
My favorite oil filter is the NAPA Gold 7356 (same as WIX 57356 but lower price) for several reasons and I use it in all of my Honda vehicles, Element, CR-V, Civic and Accord.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im going to get some of those NAPA gold filters. Used the Wix when I changed the oil at about 1500miles. Im old school when it comes to break in oil and changing it early. Spent a good bit of my youth around old school gearheads.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD
95 Posts
I've always used Mobile1 or AMSOil Synthetics. With Mobile1 synthetic in the HR-V it's good for 10-12,000 miles under normal conditions. Using AMSOil in our Smart previously we were able to go 24k between oil changes with changing the filter every 5-6k miles and topping it off to adjust for fluid lost in the filter. Unfortunately using AMOil now is rather costly, so we've just stuck with Mobile1. Have always used Wix filters too. There just aren't any better.

Reactions: rszappa1

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've always used Mobile1 or AMSOil Synthetics. With Mobile1 synthetic in the HR-V it's good for 10-12,000 miles under normal conditions. Using AMSOil in our Smart previously we were able to go 24k between oil changes with changing the filter every 5-6k miles and topping it off to adjust for fluid lost in the filter. Unfortunately using AMOil now is rather costly, so we've just stuck with Mobile1. Have always used Wix filters too. There just aren't any better.
Note that the VVT system in Honda engines not only require, they DEMAND clean and fluid oil for proper action. Going for longer intervals between oil changes is a risky thing to do, even if you are using the best full synthetic oils. If the oil gets thicker than normal, you will pay dearly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I posted a note on Bob the Oil Guy site about when to change the initial oil....Everyone that replied said to leave the factory oil in till about 10 % on the oil life monitor. It has added zinc and other additives in it to help with breaking the engine in right. I was going to change my oil...at 5000 right now..but will wait now...after the first oil change then I will go to 5000 miles or 50% on oil life monitor....by the way Bob the Oil Guy is a great site...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well I posted a note on Bob the Oil Guy site about when to change the initial oil....Everyone that replied said to leave the factory oil in till about 10 % on the oil life monitor. It has added zinc and other additives in it to help with breaking the engine in right. I was going to change my oil...at 5000 right now..but will wait now...after the first oil change then I will go to 5000 miles or 50% on oil life monitor....by the way Bob the Oil Guy is a great site...
I think many have stated that HONDA does not use any break-in oil anymore.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Only an oil analysis will confirm if the factory engine oil fill has break-in additives in it.
The folks on www.Bobistheoilguy.com should have mentioned that!

I highly doubt that any manufacturer is spending any extra money for break-in engine oil additives.
The additives, like zinc, are not good for the catalytic converter.

That's the reason why today's engine oils are actually not as good as in years past.
Many of the valuable engine wear components, like zinc, magnesium and others, have been removed from modern engine oils.
This helps the longevity of the catalytic converter and other emission components in the exhaust system but hurts engine longevity.

·
Registered
624 Posts
From an engine builder's website - makes sense to me:

"Break-in oils have existed long before the flat-tappet cam break-in fiasco of the mid-2000s. There is even a chapter dedicated to break-in oils in the “SAE Lubricants Handbook.” It was commonplace for OEMs to use break-in oils before car leasing became popular. As the EPA fuel economy requirements tightened, the need for less maintenance and better fuel economy ended the use of break-in oils as factory fill in new vehicles. "

1 - 20 of 27 Posts