Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, so I know many of you have been looking to add apple carplay to the 2016-2018 HRV's. Since honda won't update our current radios. Well I finally found the solution and I literally only spent under $200. So the 2013-2015 Honda CRV EX radio actually fits our models and back when Apple carplay came out honda was testing it on certain customer's headunits with an update usb. So I found this guy who sells the update for the honda crv radio that enables the apple carplay on the CRV radio so after doing some research, the radio for the CRV actually uses the same plugs. So i went ahead and bought a 2015 Honda CRV EX radio on ebay for $100, and a aftermarket radio install kit for the hrv on amazon for $12. I reached out to the ebay guy who mailed me the software update for the radio for only $49. I took off my radio from my HRV installed the CRV radio, its actually plug and play no need to do any splicing. Turned on the radio and plugged in the update stick and thats it! I now have apple carplay on Honda's radio.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That's... Really tempting, Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
414 Posts
I'm wondering if the OP is a one-hit-wonder.

Anyway... I was thinking before I saw the pics that it would be interesting for those that have the pre-facelift HR-V.

However, it looks like the head unit sticks out something like half an inch to an inch from the surrounding trim. Personally, something like that would bother me... a LOT.

All three Kenwood HUs that I installed into my Fit stick out a little and they bothered me quite a bit.

So, I would suggest to anyone else that's interested... find out if it does actually stick out, if that kind of thing bothers you too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey I managed to fix the big gap. I took the A/M face plate off and with a file sanded the sides and re-adjusted the head unit a bit. The brackets are adjustable. Take a look at the new results. I uploaded new photos, now the gap is minimal.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What are the audio settings/adjustements like - and do we know the power output of that unit (compared to the HRV) ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the same power outputs, no need to modify anything. Literally same plugs, same locations, just need the head unit from the 2015 CR-V EX

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats they guy that will sell you the software update. You can just plug it in and will update the radio. Once the update is completed you will see the Apple carplay app in the radio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He even let it go for $50. So It was a win win situation. All the settings work such as lane watch camera, backup camera. Literally is like honda use the same radio with different screen lol. I was going to try and see if I could swap out the screen but I didn't get too far, maybe will try over the weekend to see if that works.

·
Registered
329 Posts
He even let it go for $50. So It was a win win situation. All the settings work such as lane watch camera, backup camera. Literally is like honda use the same radio with different screen lol. I was going to try and see if I could swap out the screen but I didn't get too far, maybe will try over the weekend to see if that works.
I wish the audio had better adjustments than the 2 we get with the OEM unit. but glad the power is not less ( wish it was more)
Can we plug Sirius into it as well ??
And Navi ?

·
Super Moderator
1,678 Posts
They were beta testing it a while back. If it is working now, hope future Apple updates don't break it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw a post on here from another user(johan0600) whom use a 2015-2016 Honda CRV radio to get apple carplay. I bought Honda CRV radio from ebay and the software update from an ebay user. I also bought the radio trim bezel, not the same as the guy use from amazon, but a glossy one from china which is for the Honda Vezel. It actually worked. I went ahead use the old mounting bracket from my HRV and plugged in the connectors which are literally the same plugs. Did the update and kept all the same original features. Did not need to trim anything on the chinese radio bezel it fit right in. Thanks Johan0600 for making the original post. This was a east swap and cost less $300 to do. Did not have splice any wires or trim anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Man that is so tempting

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I saw a post on here from another user(johan0600) whom use a 2015-2016 Honda CRV radio to get apple carplay. I bought Honda CRV radio from ebay and the software update from an ebay user. I also bought the radio trim bezel, not the same as the guy use from amazon, but a glossy one from china which is for the Honda Vezel. It actually worked. I went ahead use the old mounting bracket from my HRV and plugged in the connectors which are literally the same plugs. Did the update and kept all the same original features. Did not need to trim anything on the chinese radio bezel it fit right in. Thanks Johan0600 for making the original post. This was a east swap and cost less $300 to do. Did not have splice any wires or trim anything.
That shot from the lanewatch camera looks a lot clearer than mine. Do you feel that it improved with the new head unit?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts