Honda HR-V Forum banner

Finally Carplay on 2016-2018 models! (CRV Head Unit)

132K views 179 replies 52 participants last post by  parshen818 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone, so I know many of you have been looking to add Apple Carplay to the 2016-2018 HRV's. Since Honda won't update our current radios. Well, I finally found the solution and I literally only spent under $200. So the 2013-2015 Honda CRV EX radio actually fits our models and back when Apple carplay came out honda was testing it on certain customers' headunits with an updated USB. So I found this guy who sells the update for the honda crv radio that enables the Apple Carplay on the CRV radio so after doing some research, the radio for the CRV actually uses the same plugs. So I went ahead and bought a 2015 Honda CRV EX radio on eBay for $100, and an aftermarket radio install kit for the HRV on Amazon for $12. I reached out to the eBay guy who mailed me the software update for the radio for only $49. I took off my radio from my HRV and installed the CRV radio, it's actually plug and play no need to do any splicing. Turned on the radio and plugged in the update stick and that's it! I now have Apple Carplay on Honda's radio.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm wondering if the OP is a one-hit-wonder.

Anyway... I was thinking before I saw the pics that it would be interesting for those that have the pre-facelift HR-V.

However, it looks like the head unit sticks out something like half an inch to an inch from the surrounding trim. Personally, something like that would bother me... a LOT.

All three Kenwood HUs that I installed into my Fit stick out a little and they bothered me quite a bit.

So, I would suggest to anyone else that's interested... find out if it does actually stick out, if that kind of thing bothers you too.

#10 ·
He even let it go for $50. So It was a win win situation. All the settings work such as lane watch camera, backup camera. Literally is like honda use the same radio with different screen lol. I was going to try and see if I could swap out the screen but I didn't get too far, maybe will try over the weekend to see if that works.

#15 ·
I saw a post on here from another user(johan0600) whom use a 2015-2016 Honda CRV radio to get apple carplay. I bought Honda CRV radio from ebay and the software update from an ebay user. I also bought the radio trim bezel, not the same as the guy use from amazon, but a glossy one from china which is for the Honda Vezel. It actually worked. I went ahead use the old mounting bracket from my HRV and plugged in the connectors which are literally the same plugs. Did the update and kept all the same original features. Did not need to trim anything on the chinese radio bezel it fit right in. Thanks Johan0600 for making the original post. This was a east swap and cost less $300 to do. Did not have splice any wires or trim anything.

Attachments

#22 ·
Thanks @Hondaboy! I'm going to get one of those ordered. I was seriously looking at getting a newer car because I have another car with CarPlay and not having it in this car is driving me bonkers. That and having physical volume buttons is going to be very nice. Rather go this way than a full redo with a Kenwood and all the other stuff....or one of those offshore Android units.

#23 ·
Tell me about it! I was going to get one of the android units from china and hope that all the cameras worked. But when I saw this solution I had to try it. By the way do not plug the gps antenna since it will interfere with the phone's gps and it will give you incorrect info. I left it unplugged and no issues whatsoever. Its the silver connector on the upper left corner of the head unit.

#27 ·
Hi All,

Long time viewer, first time poster!

So I have read through all of the posts about using a CRV head unit in an HRV to install Apple CarPlay. So I was wondering if someone can just verify the following steps to make sure I got it right before buying all the pieces. This would be for my wife’s 2016 Honda HRV EX.

1) Obtain a 2015-16 non-navigation head unit from a CRV EX (like this one -https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-Honda-CR-V-CR-V-CD-Player-Radio-Assembly-w-Display-EX-15-16-OEM/273800595733)

2) To make it a “clean” look, get a double din bezel (like this one -https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-781...s=double+din+honda+hrv&qid=1607278629&sr=8-10)

3) Get the beta software that contains Apple CarPlay for the CRV head unit from a source (I may or may not have gotten that source from this forum and/or on Reddit) and place the software on a usb drive (formatted FAT32) and rename the drive USB20FD.

4) Remove HRV head unit, install CRV unit with the new bezel (using the same cables, no extra cables or harnesses required - if done correctly, the steering wheel controls and LaneWatch will still work).

5) Once the CRV unit is operational, plug in the USB drive and let it upload the beta software.

6) Enjoy Apple CarPlay!

Does that about sum it up? No need for radio codes or any other anti-theft overrides?

Thank you all!

-DOC