Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 180 Posts
Thanks @Hondaboy! I'm going to get one of those ordered. I was seriously looking at getting a newer car because I have another car with CarPlay and not having it in this car is driving me bonkers. That and having physical volume buttons is going to be very nice. Rather go this way than a full redo with a Kenwood and all the other stuff....or one of those offshore Android units.

Tell me about it! I was going to get one of the android units from china and hope that all the cameras worked. But when I saw this solution I had to try it. By the way do not plug the gps antenna since it will interfere with the phone's gps and it will give you incorrect info. I left it unplugged and no issues whatsoever. Its the silver connector on the upper left corner of the head unit.

I'm not sure, if you could send me a photo of the radio and a photo of the back connectors. I could see if they're the same. I'll also look into the wiring diagram to determine if it could work.

I don't have a new radio yet or taken the old one out, I was asking if the one(s) pictured in this thread would work in the 2020 LX.

Hi All,

Long time viewer, first time poster!

So I have read through all of the posts about using a CRV head unit in an HRV to install Apple CarPlay. So I was wondering if someone can just verify the following steps to make sure I got it right before buying all the pieces. This would be for my wife’s 2016 Honda HRV EX.

1) Obtain a 2015-16 non-navigation head unit from a CRV EX (like this one -https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-Honda-CR-V-CR-V-CD-Player-Radio-Assembly-w-Display-EX-15-16-OEM/273800595733)

2) To make it a “clean” look, get a double din bezel (like this one -https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-781...s=double+din+honda+hrv&qid=1607278629&sr=8-10)

3) Get the beta software that contains Apple CarPlay for the CRV head unit from a source (I may or may not have gotten that source from this forum and/or on Reddit) and place the software on a usb drive (formatted FAT32) and rename the drive USB20FD.

4) Remove HRV head unit, install CRV unit with the new bezel (using the same cables, no extra cables or harnesses required - if done correctly, the steering wheel controls and LaneWatch will still work).

5) Once the CRV unit is operational, plug in the USB drive and let it upload the beta software.

6) Enjoy Apple CarPlay!

Does that about sum it up? No need for radio codes or any other anti-theft overrides?

Thank you all!

-DOC

Doing this in the wife’s HRV and the yes/no is greyed out when trying to flash the new firmware. I click on yes and it says for safety this can’t be done while the vehicle is moving or something along those lines. What am I doing wrong?

I am doing this for my wife’s HRV too! For her birthday as a matter of fact.

But I digress...

I got the physical installation done but have now run into a few problems that I’m not sure if they are related or if I am doing something wrong:

1) I can’t get the diagnostic screen to stop booting up at start up. I tried everything that was described in this post and in the Civic link that was posted a few posts ago.

2) The volume is super low. I had it on max level 40, and I could barely hear the music through the speakers. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the wires but no luck.

3) This I imagine is more of a flash drive issue but when I do try to flash the software, I can get pass the “do you want to upgrade the firmware“ question by clicking on yes but when I do, it just tells me that there was an error reading the drive and to restart the car and try again. I haven’t tried using a different flash drive yet.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

3) This I imagine is more of a flash drive issue but when I do try to flash the software, I can get pass the “do you want to upgrade the firmware“ question by clicking on yes but when I do, it just tells me that there was an error reading the drive and to restart the car and try again. I haven’t tried using a different flash drive yet.
Try different file systems e.g. NTFS, FAT, FAT32, exFAT. You can change this by disc format.

Okay so you guys ran into the same issue one of the civic guys ran into. You guys are using a brand new headunit from a CR-V that was never paired with a CRV so is going to what the dealership calls diagnostics mode. I provided some guidance for the civic forum guy.
On first power up you will get this screen:

(1.PNG)
Press all the buttons on the Steering wheel to verify them then press Done without entering any numbers
Press and hold Power Eject and Home all at the same time for several seconds. You will then see this screen:

(2.PNG)
On this screen Press and hold the Power button for several seconds.
You will get a screen asking about inline diag settings. Tap that to set it to complete and then tap return
You should now be at the normal startup sequence.
Power everything down and if done correctly, it will boot up normally with no diag window.

21 - 40 of 180 Posts