Honda HR-V Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
DAMN!!! Finally got it to work!

to bring up online diagnostic you need to press and hold the menu button. Then you can remove the initial diagnostic menus
So the Canada radio worked for you? Btw did you remove the GPS wire or keep it plugged?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
So the Canada radio worked for you? Btw did you remove the GPS wire or keep it plugged?
It did! I unplugged it when I completed install and closed the dash. Left it in for the setup.
The only issue I ran into was the diagnostic setup. my Canadian head unit kept telling me the center display was NG(red) and so when I tried to bypass the diagnostics screen I wasn’t getting the inline diagnostics option. so every time I would start the car up i was getting the unit set up showing me the failed center display unit/having to press the steering wheel buttons. See below

To fix this, when I got to this screen below I had to hold the home button to bring up the inline diagnostic screen

when the inline diagnostic comes up tap the option (not complete) and then select (complete). This will block the initial diagnostic set up from popping up upon the car startup.

maybe it was just my head unit but that seemed to fix the issue!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Final install. Tbh I’m going to find someone to 3D print a thicker double din that will have more of a bubble on the front so the unit doesn’t look like it’s sticking out. But for now whatever, just glad to have CarPlay. Had way too many close calls looking down at my phone

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
First off, I have always preferred to use OEM parts for a retrofit upgrade and yes this is better than no CarPlay at all but I have to disagree with this retrofit because there are better options. This is just too much work and a hassle for a head unit with a small screen that doesn't really fit the dash that good. The Maxca or Dasaita head unit, for just a few more dollars, is plug and play plus you get a huge 9" screen. I just don't prefer this "upgrade" because it's a gamble and too much work for the end result of a small screen and ill fitting head unit. Below is a picture of my Dasaita and a link to the thread and my picture album of it. The Dasaita is $500 and fits the 2016-2021, the Maxca is $200 and is known to fit the 2016-2018 (I could not get it to work in my 2020). The Maxca is very basic but the Dasaita is a full featured app radio and I can even watch movies on it over the USB port. Make sure to send a picture of your stock head unit and if possible the wire harness to the seller. I found the customer service from Dasaita (staff) to be outstanding and the Maxca (one guy) to be good.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
First off, I have always preferred to use OEM parts for a retrofit upgrade and yes this is better than no CarPlay at all but I have to disagree with this retrofit because there are better options. This is just too much work and a hassle for a head unit with a small screen that doesn't really fit the dash that good. The Maxca or Dasaita head unit, for just a few more dollars, is plug and play plus you get a huge 9" screen. I just don't prefer this "upgrade" because it's a gamble and too much work for the end result of a small screen and ill fitting head unit. Below is a picture of my Dasaita and a link to the thread and my picture album of it. The Dasaita is $500 and fits the 2016-2021, the Maxca is $200 and is known to fit the 2016-2018 (I could not get it to work in my 2020). The Maxca is very basic but the Dasaita is a full featured app radio and I can even watch movies on it over the USB port. Make sure to send a picture of your stock head unit and if possible the wire harness to the seller. I found the customer service from Dasaita (staff) to be outstanding and the Maxca (one guy) to be good.

That looks sick! But you spent 700 for that. I totally get it but not everyone is looking to drop that much to swap out their screen.

To each their own, I think your set up is super clean I won’t lie lol

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
Thanks. I am jelly that you have OEM parts but in this application it's just the lessor of the two options.

Just to be clear, when bought directly (www.aliexpress.com) from them, the Dasaita is $500 and the Maxca is $200 which includes UPS shipping. In fact, my Dasaita head unit was $498. I'm not sure where you got the $700 number from.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Thanks. I am jelly that you have OEM parts but in this application it's just the lessor of the two options.

Just to be clear, when bought directly (www.aliexpress.com) from them, the Dasaita is $500 and the Maxca is $200 which includes UPS shipping. In fact, my Dasaita head unit was $498. I'm not sure where you got the $700 number from.

I read your message wrong lmaooo I added the two units together thinking you referenced two parts.

I have a 2018 so the Maxca sounds pretty interesting...... Wonder if I should do that and sell this Crv model lol

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
If the goal here is to get CarPlay or Android Auto, I don't see the logic in using that old outdated small screen ill fitting head unit, other than it being OEM.

I've bought and had both the Maxca and Dasaita in my 2020 LX AWD. My goal was to get CarPlay and I tried the Maxca first being the less expensive and the CarPlay did work but the reverse camera and steering wheel controls did not work. I worked with the seller for a while trying things including a firmware update but we could not get the steering wheel controls or reverse camera to work. So, I sold it to someone with the early model and it all worked in his car (see thread).

The Dasaita was great and on first install everything worked except the reverse camera, so they sent me another (different) wiring harness and then the reverse camera worked and it was fully functioning. They sent me the other wire harness for free.

I see that the Maxca price is now $179 (free DHL shipping). Yes, in my opinion, I'd sell (or not do this CRV head unit in the first place) and get the Maxca if all you want is CarPlay or the Dasaita if you want CarPlay and a full featured app radio. Remember, to make this smooth and easy, make sure to tell them your car's year, model, market (country) and include a picture of the head unit front and wire harness in the back.

I don't want to hijack this thread. So, any more questions about the Maxca or Dasaita, please post in those threads respectfully.

Maxca:

Dasaita:

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
84 Posts
If the goal here is to get CarPlay or Android Auto, I don't see the logic in using that old outdated small screen ill fitting head unit, other than it being OEM.
A big part of the appeal of this upgrade is that the LaneWatch camera on the passenger mirror is plug and play compatible. I don't think they included that in the LX trim, so yeah, there's not really a reason for you to go for the CR-V head unit vs a different brand except price.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
A big part of the appeal of this upgrade is that the LaneWatch camera on the passenger mirror is plug and play compatible. I don't think they included that in the LX trim, so yeah, there's not really a reason for you to go for the CR-V head unit vs a different brand except price.
You're right, the LX doesn't have LaneWatch but the Maxca and Dasaita head units do have that function too (the ability to use the LaneWatch). So, if one were to do the Maxca or Dasaita to get CarPlay (wirelss by the way) or Android Auto, they could still use the LaneWatch if their car has it. In fact, when I had the Maxca in my LX and I turned the right turn signal on, the screen (9 inches by the way) did try to show the LaneWatch but it was black because my LX doesn't have the camera on the side. So yeah, the LaneWatch would work with the Maxca or Dasaita with the other trim levels above the LX... and it's ALL plug-and-play.

Sorry guys, I just don't see any benefit on this old tech small screen ill fitting complicated a lot of hassle to get it working CRV head unit other than it being OEM. If, in the future, there is a large screen fully featured perfect fitting head unit that is OEM Honda that will fit our HR-V cars then I'd be happy to put that in my car because I prefer OEM parts.

The Maxca is under $200 and seems to be a start-up company with one guy at the helm but the Dasaita at $500 is a known company. I'm not trying to promote anything or step on any toes, I'm just sharing my experience with everyone that would rather install and have the head unit working in less than 20 minutes that is a 9" screen and it fits perfect instead of countless hours of research, work and hassling for a 7" screen that looks like some guy down the street butcher installed it in your dash for a six pack of brew.

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
84 Posts
So after using it for a couple weeks, it's definitely obvious to me that the reason the software was never released is that the hardware just isn't powerful enough to support it. It works reasonably well, but not well enough to be a full release. Specifically, I've noticed that sometimes there is a bit of lag on selections, including activating the LaneWatch camera when I use my turn signal. It's only a fraction of a second longer than before, but in regions with more aggressive traffic it can be annoying if you're used to using that feature.

Yes, I am still planning on releasing the how-to video, but I am still in the middle of selling my house for a cross-country move and hope to have time to put that together soon. Sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How is it? I’m looking to make the same swap. What was the cost like and does the right side cam still work?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Asking the question of Do the 2019+ HRV models have CarPlay? And if so, is there any connector, functionally, physical mount difference?
For the purpose of purchasing a used 2019+ head unit and dropping it in my 2018

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone looking to add this headunit I have a working model with CarPlay added that I’ll let go for $125 shipped. We pulled it out of my wife’s HRV before we traded it in and installed the regular back in there.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
Asking the question of Do the 2019+ HRV models have CarPlay? And if so, is there any connector, functionally, physical mount difference?
For the purpose of purchasing a used 2019+ head unit and dropping it in my 2018
Yes, the 2019+ does have CarPlay, other than the LX model. The mounts are the same; however, the wiring and harness connectors are different. The 2016-2018 and 2019+ have different harness connectors. So, no, you can't put a 2019+ into an earlier model without hacking up the wires (and knowing how to do that) because the harness connector from the 2016-2018 will not plug into the 2019+ head unit. You may want to do more research as I'm new to adding CarPlay to a Honda (although I've owned Hondas for 15+ years) but I looked for three months to do this (add a factory Honda head unit with CarPlay) to my 2020 LX and found no solution, so I got an aftermarket head unit instead.

Also note, the LX/EX/EX-L/Sport/Touring/etc. all have different feature per model and thus the head unit and/or wires and/or harness connectors are/may be different. It's actually really complicated and I've found in my case that it was better to buy an aftermarket head unit that the supplier already had all of the technical specifications figured out for me. Dasaita is the head unit that I choose because even in my case having a 2020 I still count not put a factory Honda head unit in it with CarPlay because my LX doesn't even include the wiring to support that (not that I know of or could find out).

121 - 140 of 149 Posts