Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to test drive an HRV this evening! Honda of Seattle only had 3 listed on their site in colors I wasn't interested in and lo and behold they had a Deep Ocean Pearl EXL in their expansive new garage. Of course. I wasn't planning on buying yet. The salesman was super no pressure. I told him I had been reading about this car for 2 years and wanted to finally see it. We went out front and hopped in a silver EX. Here's some of my thoughts vs my current 2008 Fit Sport

I wasn't as off put by the lighter gray interior what so ever. The floors are black and the cup holder areas are also black. Since I'm interested in leather coffee spills would be wipe able and the floors shouldn't show muddy parking lot water/snow melt since they're black.

Push button start blows my mind. Lesson one in drivers Ed was to put the keys in the ignition as soon as you sit in the car, you'll never lose them. I kept fumbling for the missing key. So strange!

I can see the whole hood! I'm 5'5" I haven't been able to see the front of the hood since the 1990s on my dads Bravada. I'm pretty sure the seat was cranked to max height, my head was suspiciously close to the roof.

Magic seat is magic. As always. But the rear floor does have a center hump for the AWD but not too bad. A dog would still be perfectly fine. Cargo that spans the rear floor might need something to prop the sides if it's fragile.

The rear cargo was tons longer than my Fit and also just as deep. It's not shallow like the Subaru Crosstrek.

I never realized the bumper is black plastic. Way back when I had a Saturn that usually meant you had the weaker cheaper engine. Now it means when a-hole parallel parkers bounce park they don't scratch my paint!

I definitely would need to use a step stool to reach gear in a roof rack, especially upright bikes.

I don't like the stock wheels that much. I like the upgrade wheels in pictures online so I may consider that upgrade.

Visibility is good, the lane watch is neat, it was helpful when I was going to slink around a line of cars to make a right turn and I immediately saw a focus zooming up the right side to do the same thing.

Test drove up a fairly steep bride up to Beacon Hill in Seattle. 3 people in the car, myself, the Bf and then sales guy. Plenty of power and no perception of sluggishness or struggle to find the right gear (more on that later). I also went down the same path and downshifted with the paddle shifters and they responded nicely braking me down the hill. I later took my Fit up the same hill with just the BF and really had to hit the gas and it downshifted and was revving high to power up that stupid hill. And I said "see this thing needed to downshift to even make it!" To which the Bf replied but remember the HRV has a CVT. omg. Your right! I've never driven a CVT. It kept the car going 40 up the hill with no struggle and no noise, in fact as I kept pressing on the gas in anticipation of the struggle my Fit usually has when downshifting I found myself pushing 50 in a 30 up hill. Ha. Whoops! Sales guy was in the back seat lol!

It's not a ton longer than my Fit, and shorter than BF's Crosstrek which still fits in my garage and can open the hatch with the garage door closed so that's great news.

They did a quick appraisal of my Fit so I'd have a good idea of trade in. They tend to add $1-2k to KBB in the Seattle area since Fits are really hard to get. I have some door dings and paint chips on the bumpers that they reduced for but can expect ballpark $7-8k.

So we headed to dinner. I can't even pay attention. I keep thinking, would I really go back tomorrow and buy the blue EX-L? Just like that?

My next stop is my credit union website for pre approval. I think. I dunno. Just seems so fast for such a big purchase. I waited months way back when the Fit was brand new and sold before they got to the lot. This dealer sold 4 of 5 they got in one day and expect them to move fast here in Seattle. It's super popular already.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Drive the HRV you'll want to buy the HRV. ;););)

I finally got a chance to test drive an HRV this evening! Honda of Seattle only had 3 listed on their site in colors I wasn't interested in and lo and behold they had a Deep Ocean Pearl EXL in their expansive new garage. Of course. I wasn't planning on buying yet. The salesman was super no pressure. I told him I had been reading about this car for 2 years and wanted to finally see it. We went out front and hopped in a silver EX. Here's some of my thoughts vs my current 2008 Fit Sport

I wasn't as off put by the lighter gray interior what so ever. The floors are black and the cup holder areas are also black. Since I'm interested in leather coffee spills would be wipe able and the floors shouldn't show muddy parking lot water/snow melt since they're black.

Push button start blows my mind. Lesson one in drivers Ed was to put the keys in the ignition as soon as you sit in the car, you'll never lose them. I kept fumbling for the missing key. So strange!

I can see the whole hood! I'm 5'5" I haven't been able to see the front of the hood since the 1990s on my dads Bravada. I'm pretty sure the seat was cranked to max height, my head was suspiciously close to the roof.

Magic seat is magic. As always. But the rear floor does have a center hump for the AWD but not too bad. A dog would still be perfectly fine. Cargo that spans the rear floor might need something to prop the sides if it's fragile.

The rear cargo was tons longer than my Fit and also just as deep. It's not shallow like the Subaru Crosstrek.

I never realized the bumper is black plastic. Way back when I had a Saturn that usually meant you had the weaker cheaper engine. Now it means when a-hole parallel parkers bounce park they don't scratch my paint!

I definitely would need to use a step stool to reach gear in a roof rack, especially upright bikes.

I don't like the stock wheels that much. I like the upgrade wheels in pictures online so I may consider that upgrade.

Visibility is good, the lane watch is neat, it was helpful when I was going to slink around a line of cars to make a right turn and I immediately saw a focus zooming up the right side to do the same thing.

Test drove up a fairly steep bride up to Beacon Hill in Seattle. 3 people in the car, myself, the Bf and then sales guy. Plenty of power and no perception of sluggishness or struggle to find the right gear (more on that later). I also went down the same path and downshifted with the paddle shifters and they responded nicely braking me down the hill. I later took my Fit up the same hill with just the BF and really had to hit the gas and it downshifted and was revving high to power up that stupid hill. And I said "see this thing needed to downshift to even make it!" To which the Bf replied but remember the HRV has a CVT. omg. Your right! I've never driven a CVT. It kept the car going 40 up the hill with no struggle and no noise, in fact as I kept pressing on the gas in anticipation of the struggle my Fit usually has when downshifting I found myself pushing 50 in a 30 up hill. Ha. Whoops! Sales guy was in the back seat lol!

It's not a ton longer than my Fit, and shorter than BF's Crosstrek which still fits in my garage and can open the hatch with the garage door closed so that's great news.

They did a quick appraisal of my Fit so I'd have a good idea of trade in. They tend to add $1-2k to KBB in the Seattle area since Fits are really hard to get. I have some door dings and paint chips on the bumpers that they reduced for but can expect ballpark $7-8k.

So we headed to dinner. I can't even pay attention. I keep thinking, would I really go back tomorrow and buy the blue EX-L? Just like that?

My next stop is my credit union website for pre approval. I think. I dunno. Just seems so fast for such a big purchase. I waited months way back when the Fit was brand new and sold before they got to the lot. This dealer sold 4 of 5 they got in one day and expect them to move fast here in Seattle. It's super popular already.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Your excitement is fun to read. I hear you on the "big purchase" thing. I am seriously considering a purchase ,not an HR-V in my case , and get nervous making such a big decision and commitment as a new car.:eek:

But you sound very impressed with this car, so that should make it easier to take the plunge. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Drive the HRV you'll want to buy the HRV. ;););)
I didn't. If you need the utility of the HRV, don't drive it back to back with the Mazda 3 hatch. You are sure to be dismayed at the power, economy, handling and interior quality you have to give up to get it.
Have you driven either?

My choice now is the 3 or waiting on the CX-3 to see how it stacks up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the Mazda 3 hatch offered a taller driving position I'd buy it. I tried it at auto shows and hated how I had to bend down and slink into it. Way too low to the ground for me. If I wanted something that low I'd just buy a sports car. The CX-3 is probably better but several people are saying its too small inside.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If the Mazda 3 hatch offered a taller driving position I'd buy it. I tried it at auto shows and hated how I had to bend down and slink into it. Way too low to the ground for me. If I wanted something that low I'd just buy a sports car. The CX-3 is probably better but several people are saying its too small inside.
I agree a lot folks shopping the HRV will find both Mazda's too low or too confining to be the alternative for them that they are for me. Or they may just have a predisposition to buy Honda.

I was just pointing out the fallacy of HRV,'s "If you drive it , you will want to buy it" statement. A drive of both cars will show up many of the shortcomings (IN MY OPINION) in the Honda that have nothing to do with packaging, but make you wonder why Honda did not make a better car.

I cannot understand why HRV makes such rash statements when he hasn't even sampled the object of his affection or its competition .

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would urge everyone to shop around before making any decision and driving something other than what they have already made an emotional investment in. This is especially true of folks who have not driven a compact of very recent making as the improvements in build quality, comfort , and performance have made rapid advancements. If you drive any car 5 years old, you will be impressed by most cars made today, so don't assume that just because you like the first new car you drive that there are not others that you will like even better.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I cannot understand why HRV makes such rash statements when he hasn't even sampled the object of his affection or its competition .
I can. ;)

Regarding your comments on the Mazda3: The Grand Touring "s" hatch with 2.5 liter engine is a great driving machine (though laggy as **** from a dead stop for some reason) with a six-speed auto transmission, i.e,, Not a CVT.
Unfortunately it costs $32k+ with the tech/safety package (a must-have), has cramped rear seating, and insanely wide c-pillars which obstruct the driver's rear view even more than the HR-V.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Agree with the mazda3 comments, except I haven't driven it yet. Definitely lower, even than my 2003 Acura EL (civic). The CX-3 is definitely higher, easier climbing in and out, and _really_ small... seemed like less cargo and rear seat space than the 3. Will probably go back and drive it at some point, but not really a contender. Also still don't care for the looks, though they've grown on me a little bit.

Drove the Subaru Crosstrek / Imprezza yesterday. Very impressed... with the cvt version. Way better experience than the manual. :(

But definitely agree with Okhick: this is the first 'modern' car I've driven in a while, and better than my current car in so many ways. If it's the only one I drove I'd buy it and be thrilled... but going to drive some others before deciding. Including the HR-V, when it finally gets here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I can. ;)

Regarding your comments on the Mazda3: The Grand Touring "s" hatch with 2.5 liter engine is a great driving machine (though laggy as **** from a dead stop for some reason) with a six-speed auto transmission, i.e,, Not a CVT.
Unfortunately it costs $32k+ with the tech/safety package (a must-have), has cramped rear seating, and insanely wide c-pillars which obstruct the driver's rear view even more than the HR-V.
Thanks for your response.

The top 2.5 with safety/tech package is 30,015 not 32Plus. I think your point is its pricey and I agree.(didn't think; are you in Canada?)

In my particular case , I don't need s/t package (don't text or sleep while driving),( Sorry that was uncalled for) so I can be happy with the Touring model which equipped as I prefer, Edmunds say can be had for less than 22k

I did not drive the 2.5 but just the 2 liter auto which as compared to the HRV is an absolute fireball, whether taking off from rest, or accelerating from any other speed for that matter. Remember, I drove them back to back.

Not going to argue rear seat space or cargo capacity . HRV has it beat.

I did not notice a big difference in outward visibility but what you say regarding it makes sense.

As an advocate for HRV, you could have mentioned noise levels, IMO the second biggest factor favoring
it over the 3.(Except when the HRV is straining to accelerate, which is all too often)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Agree with the mazda3 comments, except I haven't driven it yet. Definitely lower, even than my 2003 Acura EL (civic). The CX-3 is definitely higher, easier climbing in and out, and _really_ small... seemed like less cargo and rear seat space than the 3. Will probably go back and drive it at some point, but not really a contender. Also still don't care for the looks, though they've grown on me a little bit.

Drove the Subaru Crosstrek / Imprezza yesterday. Very impressed... with the cvt version. Way better experience than the manual. :(

But definitely agree with Okhick: this is the first 'modern' car I've driven in a while, and better than my current car in so many ways. If it's the only one I drove I'd buy it and be thrilled... but going to drive some others before deciding. Including the HR-V, when it finally gets here.
So you liked it. Please tell us why. Noise, pwr. comfort percieved quality, you know all the stuff we all interested in. The more we share, the more we know. I've only driven the 3 and HRV. Need to know what else deserves a look.
Does the Subbie oil burning controversy trouble you?
I like the way the Subbie looks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am used to driving a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, and the only thing power it has are the side mirrors. So anything I would test drive would be so much better than my current vehicle. But I did drive the RAV4 and CRV, and looked at the Crosstrek and Forester. Did not even drive the Crosstrek because I can't fit dog crates into the back. From the reviews on here of the new Mazda, it would be the same issue as the Crosstrek. I can tell from the pics of the back of the CX-3 that it would not be a good vehicle for getting dogs in and out, even if it would fit the crates, which I suppose it won't anyway. I need AWD, that is a must in my opinion here in MD. I really like the HR-V, and two 2X3 dog crates fit into the back of it. The length in the cargo area with the seats down is the same as my Cherokee.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I am used to driving a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, and the only thing power it has are the side mirrors. So anything I would test drive would be so much better than my current vehicle. But I did drive the RAV4 and CRV, and looked at the Crosstrek and Forester. Did not even drive the Crosstrek because I can't fit dog crates into the back. From the reviews on here of the new Mazda, it would be the same issue as the Crosstrek. I can tell from the pics of the back of the CX-3 that it would not be a good vehicle for getting dogs in and out, even if it would fit the crates, which I suppose it won't anyway. I need AWD, that is a must in my opinion here in MD. I really like the HR-V, and two 2X3 dog crates fit into the back of it. The length in the cargo area with the seats down is the same as my Cherokee.
From my look at the CX3 I can concur, if you can't get your crates in the Crosstrek, no way you're going to get them in the CX3. (I think you said Goldies, not Chihuahuas?).

·
Registered
751 Posts
So you liked it. Please tell us why. Noise, pwr. comfort percieved quality, you know all the stuff we all interested in. The more we share, the more we know. I've only driven the 3 and HRV. Need to know what else deserves a look.
Yeah, I mean to... I've been trying to write a quick review all day, but life has intervened... also not sure where to put it, maybe I'll start a new thread as the existing subie / HRV threads are aging. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did buy a Crosstrek rather than the HR-V. I have two mini dachshunds, so they can both fit into a crate that goes into the back with the seats down.

The Crosstrek has plenty of power with the CVT engine. Clearly, the "plenty of power" issue is in the perception of the driver, but I find that so many car reviewers over focus on HP. When I want a little burst of power when merging or getting the final push off the ramp onto the freeway, just a downshift on the paddle shifter does the trick.

In my opinion, the dash is more traditional in appearance than the HR-V and the center console is more comfortable and bigger. I got the Limited (with leather and moonroof/Navi/keyless entry/garage door opener and dimmer) for 26.5k. I believe Subaru's AWD is superior to Honda's, and that safety factor is important to me.

Again, quality is in the eye of the beholder, but I believe the Crosstrek's interior quality is better. Just a small difference I noticed immediately (and, it's small but tells me a lot about the attention to detail) is the leather steering wheel in the Crosstrek has even stitching and looks and feels better than the HRVs. I noticed that the leather stitching was loose and looked a bit unfinished in places. That could have been just the EX-L I test drove.

Again, this is just my opinion. Others will chime in and discount much of what I wrote anyway, so only a test drive will let you know which you prefer. :laugh:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks. Sounds like your view and Idearats initial take are in sync.

I don't really need 4-wheel drive this far south, so the Subaru's big strength doesn't count much in my case.. If it did it would be at or near the top of my test list,.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That makes sense, OKhick, if you don't need AWD. Here in the PNW, the rains alone make a good AWD system just an added bit of safety.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah, I mean to... I've been trying to write a quick review all day, but life has intervened... also not sure where to put it, maybe I'll start a new thread as the existing subie / HRV threads are aging. Stay tuned...
Keep options open thread or a new thread - thoughts on other options. I like seeing what others are thinking of, what they liked and didn't like, keep it all in one thread.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts