Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is, the first commercial for the USA market.

On a personal note, I think the Australian ad was much....MUCH better.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also noted that the ad seems to be targeting women (per demographic market identified by Honda), so that's not surprising.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Interesting... the Aussie and Brazil ads were all about edgy, mostly macho, style, with little if any focus on the practical features of the car. This is pretty much the opposite.

I really think they're missing half the boat if the whole campaign is aimed at 20-something college girls, though. Of course the macho thing isn't going to cut it in the states, either... guys that watch Monday night football need something bigger and meaner than an HRV to feel manly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks like that commercial is screaming, MWD! ha! Avid hiker and that would be all me going to the mountains and getting out my gear!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Also noted that the ad seems to be targeting women (per demographic market identified by Honda), so that's not surprising.
Any idea of how many commercials Honda would produce for a new product? I expect Honda will have ads targeting other demographics (older folks, dog owners etc.).

This ad did check off a lot of talking points in a very short time. They even got the young executive driving to work. I liked it. At least it focused mostly on the vehicle and not how it will change our lives (Cadillac).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting... the Aussie and Brazil ads were all about edgy, mostly macho, style, with little if any focus on the practical features of the car. .
Not to mention the Indonesian ad campaign which has been using the shoulder of literally a muscled up guy as the symbol of the vehicle and there ads have been very "macho".

Looks like that commercial is screaming, MWD! ha! Avid hiker and that would be all me going to the mountains and getting out my gear!
So MWD, as the direct target audience for this ad, does it make you want to run out and buy one today?

I expect Honda will have ads targeting other demographics (older folks, dog owners etc.).

This ad did check off a lot of talking points in a very short time. They even got the young executive driving to work. I liked it. At least it focused mostly on the vehicle and not how it will change our lives (Cadillac).
Note: the executive driving to work was there to have the unexpected of him being married to a "hippie" woman.

I really thought they would be doing the young (child free) couples as their focus for ads as that's what we see on the website and on their Facebook page...young couple doing lots of different things with there HR-V. I expect we'll see some more ads soon with slightly different angles. It would be interesting to see what the first CR-V commercial was like, I'll see if I can track it down after work today.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well - as the football fan who loves the hrv - I will say the only thing I was surprised with was the car being on a multi lane highway - empty and being passed by someone in the slower lane (was it an acord at least?). That should have been a bike coming up on the right at a stop sign to showcase that feature instead of making it look like grandpa can't keep up with empty highway traffic! And the "didn't expect that guy" comment - too funny.

And then when he parks - it's a guy in a suit who just got engaged to a hippy artist? Wherever they are going, someone is either really over dressed or really under dressed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not to mention the Indonesian ad campaign which has been using the shoulder of literally a muscled up guy as the symbol of the vehicle and there ads have been very "macho".

So MWD, as the direct target audience for this ad, does it make you want to run out and buy one today?

Note: the executive driving to work was there to have the unexpected of him being married to a "hippie" woman.

I really thought they would be doing the young (child free) couples as their focus for ads as that's what we see on the website and on their Facebook page...young couple doing lots of different things with there HR-V. I expect we'll see some more ads soon with slightly different angles. It would be interesting to see what the first CR-V commercial was like, I'll see if I can track it down after work today.
you missed the whole message. this ad is clearly targeted at women. notice how the "hippie" women is holding up her engagement ring to the camera. The subliminal message here is, with this car, you'll get married to a guy in a suit who presumably makes a lot of money. The car is emblematic of security.

·
Registered
514 Posts

No...Maybe if they had added a cute dog who also likes to go on the trip for hiking, I might be all in! :)

Plus Honda messed up, starting the sale when I'm trying to go hike Machu Picchu.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well - as the football fan who loves the hrv - I will say the only thing I was surprised with was the car being on a multi lane highway - empty and being passed by someone in the slower lane (was it an acord at least?). That should have been a bike coming up on the right at a stop sign to showcase that feature instead of making it look like grandpa can't keep up with empty highway traffic! And the "didn't expect that guy" comment - too funny.

And then when he parks - it's a guy in a suit who just got engaged to a hippy artist? Wherever they are going, someone is either really over dressed or really under dressed.

Looks like a civic? lol!

Hey now, not all of us ladies know how to dress when we are proposed to if it is not expected and the guy doesn't tell you anything!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Of course it's being catered for the younger female buyer. It's smaller than any truck or SUV yet almost as practical. The generation does not want to emulate the soccer moms of the previous generation and drive the dreaded minivans or Ford Explorers. Yuk.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I found the original commercial for the CR-V which premiered and introduced the vehicle during the 1996 Super Bowl and makes for an interesting contrast to how the marketed that vehicle "back in the day". Much more in the vain of the Australian HR-V commercial, I think it's pretty good / clever (at least it's better than the HR-V ad, but I'm a macho, manly, football watching, bleeding red, white and blue 'Murican! ;) ) so maybe that's why I don't care for the HR-V ad.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think I found the original commercial for the CR-V which premiered and introduced the vehicle during the 1996 Super Bowl and makes for an interesting contrast to how the marketed that vehicle "back in the day". Much more in the vain of the Australian HR-V commercial, I think it's pretty good / clever (at least it's better than the HR-V ad, but I'm a macho, manly, football watching, bleeding red, white and blue 'Murican! ;) ) so maybe that's why I don't care for the HR-V ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCaOm5a6RHM
It was definitely a man's vehicle in the 90's. My favorite CR-V commercials were the ones with Tim Blake Nelson (the dumb guy in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"). In fact, the talk around the campfire scenes in those commercials kind of remind me of the chatter in this forum lol.

Then there was the Ferris Bueller remake in the 2012 Super Bowl...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

Now THAT'S a great ad! Very clever and made me laugh. Maybe these young ad people should talk to their older colleagues. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think I found the original commercial for the CR-V which premiered and introduced the vehicle during the 1996 Super Bowl and makes for an interesting contrast to how the marketed that vehicle "back in the day". Much more in the vain of the Australian HR-V commercial, I think it's pretty good / clever (at least it's better than the HR-V ad, but I'm a macho, manly, football watching, bleeding red, white and blue 'Murican!
) so maybe that's why I don't care for the HR-V ad.

Now THAT'S a great ad! Very clever and made me laugh. Maybe these young ad people should talk to their older colleagues.
Or you grumpy old men can get over it! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts