Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am holding off until the fall to get a new car. I definitely want AWD because I have some nasty hills to deal with. I was (and kind of still am) fixated on the Crosstrek. However if this HRV offere AWD I think if will be "good enough". The car looks a lot more sharp then the Crosstrek and will likely be better on gas.

My main hangup to this point is this is the first year the car is out. Usually that is very risky. I'm also concerned because I read that they were having problems in the Mexico plant with production and quality. For these reasons I am still leaning crosstrek. Anyone have thoughts on my concerns? I currently have a Honda Civic and outside of the winter it's a very reliable car! I just want something more versatile and with AWD.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Subaru has 2 class action lawsuits regarding oil burning in multiple models.
I test drove a Crosstrek today & liked the ride.
Just not sure I want to go with a manufacturer that is slow to acknowledge defects...
That's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just something to consider - had a Jeep Wrangler forever (loved it - hated the 12mpg it averaged). Now i have a civic. 2012 - lease up in May. This winter I bought snow tires for it - best decision ever. Better than awd - do some research on it - tons of videos of people driving up ski hills with them. They are like glue. Even if I get an awd car - I will likely always get snow tires for them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Of course nobody knows yet for sure if the HR-V will have build quality issues or not, and you already mentioned the negatives (new model, new plant in Mexico). But the way I see it there are some positives to consider as well....

1) Base on the Fit which is historically been reliable, and the factory has a year under it's belt making them

2) Quality concerns after the Fit with Honda in general seem to have gotten the former head of the company tossed out and the HR-V pushed back to be sure that this car is "right"

3) The HR-V / Vezel has been on sale for over a year in other parts of the world, so presumably all of the little issues with the new design have been worked out over seas.

That's all speculation of course, I would also prefer to wait until year 2 but my car won't last that long :(

I'm also considering Subaru, but the oil burning issue is a major hang up for me as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just something to consider - had a Jeep Wrangler forever (loved it - hated the 12mpg it averaged). Now i have a civic. 2012 - lease up in May. This winter I bought snow tires for it - best decision ever. Better than awd - do some research on it - tons of videos of people driving up ski hills with them. They are like glue. Even if I get an awd car - I will likely always get snow tires for them.
True! My 07 fit with snow tires is a tank in the snow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Subaru has 2 class action lawsuits regarding oil burning in multiple models.
I test drove a Crosstrek today & liked the ride.
Just not sure I want to go with a manufacturer that is slow to acknowledge defects...
That's my two cents worth.
Not only slow to acknowledge, but deceitful. The widespread (coast to coast) practice of overfilling by a quart or more at the dealerships to mask the problem!
I really wanted to like the Subaru too.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Unless your looking at a used 2013 Crosstrek not sure what the issue would be as the 2014 and 2015 are not involved.

If you concerned about recalls, you might want to avoid Honda then all together as the were only second to GM for the most recalls in 2014.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I thought about snow tires actually and I know from talking with other people they are a great investment.

I will most likely test drive both and go from there. Until then my Civic is doing a great job for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too will wait a bit....my 09 fit is still running strong....my only worries is after the first year the hrv is sold, and if not enough manuals are sold, they 2017 may not have a manual available anymore. - supply/demand.

keep buying manuals folks...if you want them to be available in the future!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Unless your looking at a used 2013 Crosstrek not sure what the issue would be as the 2014 and 2015 are not involved.

If you concerned about recalls, you might want to avoid Honda then all together as the were only second to GM for the most recalls in 2014.

It just worked out that some 2013 owners joined in the lawsuit. That does not necessarily mean that the problem hasn't continued.

When other companies have done recalls, they have at the same time made adjustments so the problems do not continue. I have not seen a recall from Subaru....just a lot of smoke about the consumption being "normal", etc.

I just have not seen anything definitive on a permanent solution to it's issues.

I sincerely hope Subaru has fixed the problem because they are very desirable otherwise. I'd like to put them as one of my alternatives to buying an HR-V.

·
Registered
55 Posts

The large number of recalls on Hondas were -in my understanding- due to the Takata air bag problems, which also caused a few deads. It wasn't a problem of engine reliability or something like the Subaru and the problem has been identified and corrected
(one of the airbag component materials was hardening in humid conditions and being expelled like a bullet during airbag deployment) it was something like that, Im sure a google search will explain in better detail
I'm not saying is not important, after all there are dead people, but I think is not a usual Honda pattern but rather an isolated but large problem

·
Registered
54 Posts
Between the Honda HRV and the Subaru CrossTrek i'd say, first of all, they are both good looking CUV. However, I do prefer the look of the HRV if I have to choose. I also prefer the higher ground clearance and the fact that Honda has utilized space quite well.

From previous reviews I've read, the CrossTrek looks to have a good all-wheel drive system and that's great! The thing is, Honda offers both all-wheel drive and front wheel drive options as well so I guess overall I much prefer the value you get with the Honda HRV. I'm still interested in taking the CrossTrek for a test drive though. ;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Between the Honda HRV and the Subaru CrossTrek i'd say, first of all, they are both good looking CUV. However, I do prefer the look of the HRV if I have to choose. I also prefer the higher ground clearance ...
FYI, my information shows HR-V ground clearance at 7.3", Crosstrek at 8.7".

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Keep in mind the Crosstrek has significantly higher ground clearance than the HRV.

Are you looking for front or AWD? Depending on where you live and are interested more in the winter capability the Crosstrek might be the better way to go given the more sophisticated all wheel drive system.

Between the Honda HRV and the Subaru CrossTrek i'd say, first of all, they are both good looking CUV. However, I do prefer the look of the HRV if I have to choose. I also prefer the higher ground clearance and the fact that Honda has utilized space quite well.

From previous reviews I've read, the CrossTrek looks to have a good all-wheel drive system and that's great! The thing is, Honda offers both all-wheel drive and front wheel drive options as well so I guess overall I much prefer the value you get with the Honda HRV. I'm still interested in taking the CrossTrek for a test drive though. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts