Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My HRV 2016 with 16,000 miles. The front exterior windshield rubber molding is breaking in a couple places, also the molding around rear trunk window has cracked and fallen off, the molding on the inside of the hood has fallen off also . Has anyone had this issue? Would warranty cover this ?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have rips around the windshield, but that was from scraping ice in below zero weather and the rubber shattered.

Have you done any cleaning or scraping that would have caused that? Sounds like a weird issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your car still under warranty? The rubber on my HR-V is good. Do you know what caused your problem?
My car warranty ended July 2019, the gasket cracked off back in july, hoping they will still honor the warrenty, they have asked to see the cracked piece so they can send to hdqtrs but piece was lost. I noticed this while washing my car that a piece of the material which was a thin hard flat piece of plastic, not rubber loose between the glass and garnish assembly. I took it in to local dealer and they are telling i need to replace the complete garnish assembly (NH797M-Honda 74890-t7a-j12zp) for $398.00, its just the gasket that i need not the complete assembly. Has anyone had to replace this? Also I had tint added to all my windows, could it be from that ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have rips around the windshield, but that was from scraping ice in below zero weather and the rubber shattered.

Have you done any cleaning or scraping that would have caused that? Sounds like a weird issue
Hi, I live in Palm Springs Ca, no scraping or cleaning of ice, could it be from the sun? my car sits under a car port. I should add that my 2016 HRV has only 16,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi, I live in Palm Springs Ca, no scraping or cleaning of ice, could it be from the sun? my car sits under a car port. I should add that my 2016 HRV has only 16,000 miles on it.

Of course the dealer won't cover any broken exterior moulding or plastic trim on a 4-5 year old vehicle.

Can you post some pictures of the issues? Pictures will help everyone clearly understand the issues.

What rubber moulding on the windshield is broken?
What plastic moulding or trim is broken on the rear hatch window?
What moulding on the inside of the hood is falling off?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hoping I can restart this thread. Heading to my car today I noticed a break and cracking on top windshield molding. (pic below)
The HR-V is SEVEN month old! With the pandemic reducing driving for more than half of my ownership, I have around 4k on it. The car is rarely parked in direct sunlight.
I called my dealer and got a bit of a song-and-dance about 'always a chance that the windshield could break if we have to take it out'. Honestly, that sounded like an insane response. I have subsequently found an online source that flat out says owners are often 'erroneously' told this and it is not true.
I find this forum very helpful and supportive. Appreciate any input you may give.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
Definitely move up your Honda dealership chain of command and document with emails so you have record. If not satisfied, hopefully you have another close by dealer. If not proceed to Honda Corporate. Your pic tells a thousand words. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks - that you reinforce the obvious helps me. (not assertive when it comes to dealers). I think too, I posted because as I said his response seemed so dismissive. My god, you'd think they'd want some business these days, warranty (which it is) or not! When I googled the very first vid I found (albeit for a BMW) starts out by saying 'many owners are told when they go to a shop that the whole windshield must be removed to replace these pieces. This isn't the case. They do pull out and the new one fits in between the windshield and the body'.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hoping I can restart this thread. Heading to my car today I noticed a break and cracking on top windshield molding. (pic below)
The HR-V is SEVEN month old! With the pandemic reducing driving for more than half of my ownership, I have around 4k on it. The car is rarely parked in direct sunlight.
I called my dealer and got a bit of a song-and-dance about 'always a chance that the windshield could break if we have to take it out'. Honestly, that sounded like an insane response. I have subsequently found an online source that flat out says owners are often 'erroneously' told this and it is not true.
I find this forum very helpful and supportive. Appreciate any input you may give.
Looks to me more like mechanical damage from scraping ice in winter time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
that a\may be -- i understand it happened. but to not show up until months later?? And chipped at top from roof down? I've owned and scraped ice from a lot of cars over time and never saw such a thing. we shall see.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
The molding could be defective. But the conclusion from your dealer might be damage from scraping.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just saw post above. you called it. Latest: 'It's not a factory defect'. lol, I guess 2 trips to a touchless car wash in 7 months was irresponsible of me. Re ice scraping. I know such can happen - but I don't scrape my roof, where chipping occurred. ugh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts