Honda HR-V Forum banner

Fuel Gauge goes in and out

57K views 114 replies 45 participants last post by  Calico 
#1 ·
Anyone else have a fuel gauge / odometer that goes in and out? When it's been cooler outside mine has been showing jibberish in the past, now it just plain doesn't show up until my car is warmed up. It has been suggested to me that it's a communication problem. Any ideas on how to fix? I'd rather not pay the dealership to troubleshoot and I'm not under warranty any longer.

#2 ·
You may not want to pay the dealership, but are you comfortable tearing out the front dash and instrument cluster? Can you diagnose a potentially failing ECU? What about ripping out all the wiring in the various harnesses to check for corrosion?

If you know a mechanic that deals with up-to-date Hondas, they might find the issue and be able to fix it... but usually the dealership has the tools and access to Honda corp for troubleshooting issues, and therefore a better chance at finding the issue.

*geh, typing on an iPad is annoying.

#4 ·
Start with instrument cluster, then wiring from it to ECU and/fuse panel. This would only really show if there’s corroded or loose wiring. If the issue is inside the cluster, you’d have to find a way to trouble shoot it (usually by swapping the cluster).

#6 ·
I am having the same issue as Benji. It only seems to happen when it's really humid or has been raining. Brought it to the dealership and they recommend replacing the whole cluster for about $1300.00. I found a replacement for about $450.00 but I am not sure if it would be the cluster as it seems to be a water issue and water doesn't get into the cluster so I think it may be the wiring. Has anyone checking the wiring? Not sure where to start but don't want to pay $1300.00 for it not to be fixed.

#30 ·
Had the same issue earlier this morning. Done with my usual routine, started and warmed up the engine for atleast 5-8 mins until the low temp icon is out. Start driving my 2019 HRV when i notice that my fuel gauge was flickering, drove less than a mile to look for parking and parked my car and shut down the engine, start back the engine and problem is gone. Hopefully it won’t come back.

#42 ·
Ok just got it back today. took about 1 hr to fix. This is all the info on my order sheet.

Found Gauge Cluster to be faulty, Install New Cluster, All ok at this time

Cause: Internal
7161C7 combination Meter-Replace
1544 w
1 78100-T7X-A31 78100 Meter, Combination
FC: 03217
Part# 78100-T7X-A31
Count:1
I have the same issue. 2016 HRV. It's been happening for almost a year. They said they needed to replace the Cluster for $1300.00. Needless to say I have been "Dealing" with it... It only happens after it rains or is really humid. I am hoping for a Warranty to come through on it instead of paying for it. I think flooding them with complaints might help.

#46 ·
I am having the same issue in my 2016 honda hrv ex fwd. I noticed mine was doing that and I started to push on plastic to see if it would correct it, and it went back to normal. It has been doing it for months with mine now and I still have not figured out what is causing it. I just push on the display every time and it fixes it for the moment. So it leads me to believe it is a connection issue. I ended up taking the odometer part out to try and see if I could figure it out on my own but it would need to completely dismantled to really see anything. I am going to take mine apart soon and get some pictures.

#47 ·
Although I’ve never tried pushing on it, mine seems to do it only when it’s cold weather and sometimes if I put the defroster fan on, it may snap out of it. I’m thinking if condensation/frost gets inside, maybe that’s why the warmth of the fan corrects the connection, but wth do I know? 🤷🏼‍♀️

#53 ·
Alright so I took my odometer cluster all the way out of my car and disassembled it as far as I could. I saw a couple spit that were dirty and cleaned those. I ended up loosening all the screws and retightening them clean some other connection points with alcohol and cotton swabs and put it all back together and I have not had any issues as of right now. It has been really hot and it has also rained and has been humid. It was happening pretty regularly of me getting in the car and it was about 2 or 3 times a day it would get all digitized. As for now it is working great.

#54 ·
Good job! Let us know if it ever comes back. I know someone else had posted that they asked the dealership about it and they suggest replacing the whole cluster which was big bucks (although everything is big bucks to me). You’re lucky that you have the knowledge, tools and ability to do these types of repairs yourself.

#56 ·
Oh yeah no problem! Honestly car places and dealerships make it sound way more difficult that it actually is. All it took was a Phillips screwdriver and four screws to take the whole cluster out and the plastic surrounding it just pops right off then the cluster only had a couple screws too and that was all. I guess in my case I'm out of a warranty period because of my title so I didn't mind trying to figure it out. But I will let you know if it comes back ever thanks!