Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 HRV EX L
16 Posts
I like my 2020 HRV Sport ..It's got lots of room and in sport mode or "S" instead of "D" it has ok get up and go for having a 1.8 ltr engine ..It's a good looking SUV and the AWD comes in handy in the winter....But ! The gas Mileage is crap .I'm getting about 21;mpg on the average..Yes you hear right..It may get 22 to 23 on eco mode...That green button you hit that immediately seems to make your ac less cold when you hit it..But you get a whole mile or two per gallon ..Not a good trade on a hot day in traffic..For the price difference the Sport could have gotten a little bigger of an engine..Instead you get racing pedals..Nice shiny covers for your gas pedal and brake..No upgrade on seat material although you get a nice steering wheel cover..Would I buy another ? "No way in hell !
I just bought a 2021. First tank got 30 mpg combined.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Drove between two cities 100 km apart on a hot Summer day in my wife's 2018 HRV.

I'm pretty smooth on the throttle, brakes, and anticipate traffic to keep moving.

At the end of the 100 km trip the average fuel showed 4.7 liters/100km or 50 miles/USG

My wife's driving uses about 20% more fuel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You are wasting money by using 93. Only needed for vehicles which require/demand 93.

It can happen when the engine isn’t made for the higher octane fuel and you use it too many times. Trading a Honda for a Hyundai? Boy, I hope you don’t regret that decision 😳
no and no

your Honda uses a knock sensor to advance or retard ignition timing, it’s listening for detonation, the octane rating on fuel is it’s ability to resist detonation.

you can use anything from 85 to 113 octane in an Hrv from the pump. The only gas that will hurt your engine that is commonly found is leaded or contains ethanol or if you accidentally use diesel.

personally I use 91 shell and always get the best fuel mileage.

in 2019 we did a 2400 mile trip all freeway all cruise control at 70switching between 85 and 91 shell and found the extra mpg offset the price of 91 by a +3-5% margin while having the benefit of increased performance and fuel system maintenance. There were times when highway mpg was about +5 on 91 over 85

kn drop in filters are a waste of money unless you are driving through the desert, a full aem intake with a dry filter is worth the money, unless you drive around trying to hear it… yesterday my average was 28, usually it’s 26 - I need an alignment, some fresh plugs and probably a valve adjustment and it will jump to 32 or so. Actually I’m lifting it another 1.2 inches on weds maybe 2 inches by the end of this year so probably not :p.

·
Registered
80 Posts
no and no

your Honda uses a knock sensor to advance or retard ignition timing, it’s listening for detonation, the octane rating on fuel is it’s ability to resist detonation.

you can use anything from 85 to 113 octane in an Hrv from the pump. The only gas that will hurt your engine that is commonly found is leaded or contains ethanol or if you accidentally use diesel.

personally I use 91 shell and always get the best fuel mileage.

in 2019 we did a 2400 mile trip all freeway all cruise control at 70switching between 85 and 91 shell and found the extra mpg offset the price of 91 by a +3-5% margin while having the benefit of increased performance and fuel system maintenance. There were times when highway mpg was about +5 on 91 over 85

kn drop in filters are a waste of money unless you are driving through the desert, a full aem intake with a dry filter is worth the money, unless you drive around trying to hear it… yesterday my average was 28, usually it’s 26 - I need an alignment, some fresh plugs and probably a valve adjustment and it will jump to 32 or so. Actually I’m lifting it another 1.2 inches on weds maybe 2 inches by the end of this year so probably not :p.
Just fyi, leaded isn’t commonly found these days.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
I use Costco's (Aust.) 98 RON fuel in our HR-V, reason being, their 98 is 21cpl cheaper than E10 at other gas stations.
Costco only have 3 grades of fuel to choose from, E10 - U98 & Premium Diesel.
Petrol Spy - use postcode 4509 for North Lakes.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
644 Posts
Just undertaken my longest journey since purchasing the HR-V last year. Covered 496.2 miles over 2 stages at an average of 51.9mpg Imperial/37.5mpg US.

Started suffering from Squeaky Bum Syndrome as I normally get a Low Fuel Warning at around 80-100 miles. Except on this occasion it came up at 27 miles to empty and I had 38 miles to go to my destination - typically the fuel indicator dropped from 4 bars to two just after I had left a service station for a comfort break! Kept checking the miles to go and once it reaches single digits it kept saying 7 or 8 miles until empty for the duration of the 38 miles.

Eventually got the the petrol station near my destination but the regular 95 unleaded pump was u/s and so I had to fill up with their 99 octane Super Unleaded which added £5 to the price of a tank, £56 compared to £61. Still had more than 7.5 litres in the (50 litre) tank, so reckon I would get around 575 miles out of a full tank.

Will be interesting to see if there is any increase in mpg with the super unleaded especially as I've got a 400 miles schlep tomorrow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 2021 Honda HRV Sport and have around 5000 on it. I am averaging 35 mph on mine...I always use the Eco setting.I am very happy with the results so far..

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
I have a 2021 Honda HRV Sport and have around 5000 on it. I am averaging 35 mph on mine...I always use the Eco setting.I am very happy with the results so far..
I know you meant 35 mpg. :D
Fuelly tells me that my average is 34.4 mpg US or 6.8 L/100km, and have never used the Eco setting for longer than a few kms.
I had the Eco setting in my last 2 x CRV's and it was never ever used in those 2 cars either.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know you meant 35 mpg. :D
Fuelly tells me that my average is 34.4 mpg US or 6.8 L/100km, and have never used the Eco setting for longer than a few kms.
I had the Eco setting in my last 2 x CRV's and it was useless, made the car sluggish.
I guess I drive like an old man...well I am 67...the Eco does not bother me...now if it is very hot and humid I will not use Eco because it affects the AC and how well it cools. Also mine is a AWD..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts