Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just became a proud owner of an HRV EX!! I found out that it supports MirrorLink and my Android phone (HTC M8) will connect to it and allow the car app to be launched which includes Google maps navigation. Only issue is that as soon as it comes out of park it disables the feature. :(
Any thoughts on getting to continue running while in drive, sucks that I can get nav from my phone but can't use it while driving. I did run through the diagnostic menu and could not find anything there (Hint: do not click on "Aim Lanewatch" bad things will happen :|)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I found out that Sygic Car Navigation will actually work with MirrorLink while in drive. The issue now is that I don't want to pay 79.99 Euros for a navigation system that has a horrible user interface - I really want Waze, but would settle for Google Maps. Any one know what apps will work with MirrorLink?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i'd like to know as well. the OEM honda nav unit sucks. we got the car for my wife who has an android phone and would love to use google maps.

anyways to get android based phones w/ google maps to work w/ the in car display?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does anyone know what Mirror-Link DOES work with as far as an Android phone and an HRV EX? All it does is black out my phone. It turned one when I was trying to charge my phone using a USB charging cable. I think I now see how to turn it off. It blacked out my phone completely - none of the buttons did anything.. and on the HRV screen it made it appear as though my phone was in a call. The only options I had were to hang up or transfer the call, but I wasn't on a call, and pressing hang up did nothing. I couldn't get to the screens to make a call. Wish I knew something it is good for, but at least hopefully I have now found a way to turn it off so I can actually charge my phone while driving.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i'd like to know as well. the OEM honda nav unit sucks. we got the car for my wife who has an android phone and would love to use google maps.

anyways to get android based phones w/ google maps to work w/ the in car display?

Sorry, should have done some research. I would guess it will be available for the 2017 model.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Whenever I plug my bluetooth connected android into a charger that's plugged in to the USB port, it sets my phone to connect to Mirror Link. This causes the system to think I am "in call" and it blacks out my phone. I do NOT have the NAV, and it doesn't matter if I do or don't have a Nav app running on my phone. I found where, under settings/more networks/mirror link that with the car in park (so my phone isn't blacked out) I can go here and un-check mirror link - sounds good.. BUT - the minute I put the car in drive it reconnects mirror link, and my phone and entire audio system in the car are useless. I guess the temp fix is to turn off bluetooth on my phone - but then I can't use the phone to talk through the car. I wish there was a way to totally disable mirror link either on the android or on the car. Otherwise, I will be unable to charge the phone, from the USB port, while, for example, running a nav system on my phone, nothing to do with the car. This is a major and unexpected bummer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Whenever I plug my bluetooth connected android into a charger that's plugged in to the USB port, it sets my phone to connect to Mirror Link. This causes the system to think I am "in call" and it blacks out my phone. I do NOT have the NAV, and it doesn't matter if I do or don't have a Nav app running on my phone. I found where, under settings/more networks/mirror link that with the car in park (so my phone isn't blacked out) I can go here and un-check mirror link - sounds good.. BUT - the minute I put the car in drive it reconnects mirror link, and my phone and entire audio system in the car are useless. I guess the temp fix is to turn off bluetooth on my phone - but then I can't use the phone to talk through the car. I wish there was a way to totally disable mirror link either on the android or on the car. Otherwise, I will be unable to charge the phone, from the USB port, while, for example, running a nav system on my phone, nothing to do with the car. This is a major and unexpected bummer.

Yes...and more people should research before they buy. It's been a big bone of contention with Android users. I haven't even bought a Samsung phone yet because of it. I might end up getting an iPhone. Fortunately, my world doesn't revolve around my phone so I may be safe either way I go. I plan on getting an EX-L...when one becomes available.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes...and more people should research before they buy. It's been a big bone of contention with Android users. I haven't even bought a Samsung phone yet because of it. I might end up getting an iPhone. Fortunately, my world doesn't revolve around my phone so I may be safe either way I go. I plan on getting an EX-L...when one becomes available.
My world doesn't revolve around my phone either. I didn't need it to do anything fancy - but I'd like to be able to charge it and "use" it as a phone or for music at the same time. As long as I don't plug it into the USB charger it's fine - but that was my plan for long drives using my phone as GPS so I could charge it at the same time. I can set up a direct charge for it, or turn off the bluetooth, but there should be a way to turn off the mirror link, either in the car or on the phone. Not sure who should "own" that. I would never get in iPhone just so it works with a car :) I did clearly see that the honda link is for the iPhone - and I don't care about it.. and folks wrote that their android phones synced up just fine, as did mine. It's something to do with connecting to the USB port.. I just wish I could turn the mirror link off.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Edit - this is not to get mirrorlink to work - this is to keep it from blacking out your phone while plugged into the USB port. I don't care about this when driving, but I do when I am a passenger.

I've seen talk of two possible work-arounds - easiest one - use a travel charger and plug into the power port instead of into the USB port.

Other one is to install a debloater and disable MirrorLink.apk. I've done that one. Instructions found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/debloater-remove-carrier-bloat-t2998294 (Must be rooted or running KitKat (4.4) or above [ex. Lollipop is 5.0])

·
Registered
211 Posts
aatx - thank you. Exactly, I don't care about it working, I want it to stop blacking out my phone - and same - as a passenger! Re the software you refer to - sounds like that goes on my computer, not the phone, right? And you've done it? Was your phone possibly a Samsung? I have something else plugged in to the one power port, and thought - hey - great way to make use of the USB port.. Anyway - thank you very much.

·
Registered
235 Posts
aatx - thank you. Exactly, I don't care about it working, I want it to stop blacking out my phone - and same - as a passenger! Re the software you refer to - sounds like that goes on my computer, not the phone, right? And you've done it? Was your phone possibly a Samsung? I have something else plugged in to the one power port, and thought - hey - great way to make use of the USB port.. Anyway - thank you very much.
Yes, this is software that goes on your computer. There's a video that goes along with it. If you've never put your phone in developer mode, they show that part.

Yes, I did it. I have a Samsung Note 4. I was having trouble at first doing this because I wasn't hitting okay on my phone after plugging it in. Just one silly step, but it had me confused for a sec. They're normally pretty helpful at xda if you have any problems getting things to work. After that, the software is simple. Click a button to read your phone, check mirrorlink, click apply, read again to verify,and you're done. To bring it back you'd just do the same thing, but uncheck it.

There are threads on what all you can disable, but mirrorlink is the only thing I have disabled that didn't have that option from the phone. My battery is fine right now, so I haven't felt the need to get advanced.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi aatx - thanks again for pointing me to that great app. I had a few trials along the way, but got the app to see my phone, and I WAS able to disable the Mirror Link App - which was great. However - now, with my phone plugged in to the USB port (which is where I was hoping to charge it from) - the car thinks the phone is in a call. It has the Hang Up option, but if I press it it just goes right back to showing as "In Call" - if I disconnect it or maybe turn the blue tooth off/on, I can eventually get it to keep charging, but stop thinking it's in a call. But it did mess up my Waze software to where that wouldn't give audio, even just to the phone speaker, not through the car. Are you experiencing anything like this?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi aatx - thanks again for pointing me to that great app. I had a few trials along the way, but got the app to see my phone, and I WAS able to disable the Mirror Link App - which was great. However - now, with my phone plugged in to the USB port (which is where I was hoping to charge it from) - the car thinks the phone is in a call. It has the Hang Up option, but if I press it it just goes right back to showing as "In Call" - if I disconnect it or maybe turn the blue tooth off/on, I can eventually get it to keep charging, but stop thinking it's in a call. But it did mess up my Waze software to where that wouldn't give audio, even just to the phone speaker, not through the car. Are you experiencing anything like this?
Wow, sorry you are now having problems with other things. No issues with mine. I keep my phone plugged into the USB port closest to the passenger side. I've never had it think I was in a call when I wasn't. No clue what is going on there.

I do not have Waze installed, so I can't comment on that one. Have you tried rechecking mirrorlink (so it isn't disabled) to see if that fixes the issues with Waze? I am wondering if Waze and Mirrorlink are not connected somehow and maybe you cannot have mirrorlink disabled if you want Waze to work right. If so, using a travel charger may be the only workaround for you that I know of.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow, sorry you are now having problems with other things. No issues with mine. I keep my phone plugged into the USB port closest to the passenger side. I've never had it think I was in a call when I wasn't. No clue what is going on there.
Hi there - that's GREAT to hear actually.. I'm in process of switching my phone to a "refurbished" one due to a different problem, but maybe my "bluetooth" is wacky and it will be fine on the new phone. I'll get that done this weekend.. and - I'll switch the USB port too.. can't hurt - although shouldn't matter. But - even without the phone being plugged in, I'm getting strange behavior, so hopefully it will all go away!! Re the Waze - I don't expect that to play on the screen - it won't.. and I can set it to play through the car or not - but I don't think that plays a part, only because I get all the weird behavior without ever using Waze.. However - I DID need to disable the Mirror Link in order to use my phone at all with it plugged in USB - so that's a huge win for me. Just as an aside - did you disable other stuff on your phone? You might have already said no - and off hand I don't plan to, nor have I yet, but it's a great program. Thanks a bunch - and glad to know your phone works better, so hopefully mine does too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got a lot disabled just through the phone. Right now mirrorlink is the only thing I used that program to disable. If I start having battery problems, I'll probably go through some of the threads on that site and disable those they've tested as safe to disable. There's a pretty good thread on the s6 with them listed.

Good luck on the phone. My husband's s5 stopped rotating, gyro fail, so warranty replacement with a refurb unit. Replacement lasted one day until it froze up and wouldn't respond. Had to switch to my old phone (s3) that still worked okay, but flew through the battery. Finally got in the replacement's replacement and it's worked okay for 2 days, so we hope this is it. It's been a pain setting each phone up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good luck on the phone. My husband's s5 stopped rotating, gyro fail, so warranty replacement with a refurb unit. Replacement lasted one day until it froze up and wouldn't respond. Had to switch to my old phone (s3) that still worked okay, but flew through the battery. Finally got in the replacement's replacement and it's worked okay for 2 days, so we hope this is it. It's been a pain setting each phone up.
Thanks re the phone - it was a tough call to take a refurb. Samsung repair was also an option. I worry about having the same issues as you. I've had the "refurb" here for days, but don't dare do the final switch over until the weekend.. and YES, its a HUGE pain setting everything up. They all make like "it only takes a few minutes to backup and reset your phone.." really ? NOT REALLY. Takes hours/days to get the phone back to exactly how you want it. I'm hoping for some improvements in the bluetooth area. Thanks for your reply and again for the tip on that great software. I called Verizon and Samsung, and of course they had nothing to help me with the mirror link problem. Surprise, surprise!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, this is software that goes on your computer. There's a video that goes along with it. If you've never put your phone in developer mode, they show that part.

Yes, I did it. I have a Samsung Note 4. I was having trouble at first doing this because I wasn't hitting okay on my phone after plugging it in. Just one silly step, but it had me confused for a sec. They're normally pretty helpful at xda if you have any problems getting things to work. After that, the software is simple. Click a button to read your phone, check mirrorlink, click apply, read again to verify,and you're done. To bring it back you'd just do the same thing, but uncheck it.

There are threads on what all you can disable, but mirrorlink is the only thing I have disabled that didn't have that option from the phone. My battery is fine right now, so I haven't felt the need to get advanced.
Hey, so my phone won't even connect via bluetooth, and I can't bear to buy an apple product just for my car.
What exactly can you do with the Note 4? Obviously no Siri, but texts/music/phone?
Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey, so my phone won't even connect via bluetooth, and I can't bear to buy an apple product just for my car.
What exactly can you do with the Note 4? Obviously no Siri, but texts/music/phone?
Thanks!
Your phone should connect to the Bluetooth with no problem. All the issues here are regarding what happens when you plug your phone into a USB cable into a port under the shifter - like to charge it that way, rather than the "lighter" charger. It should "pair" right up and allow phone and music. Mine (I have the galaxy s5) reads the texts to me and I think there are some canned replies I can do. So - if yours isn't working - go into the bluetooth on your phone and try to pair it that way - by scanning and see if it sees the car. You can also go into "phones" on the car (not when driving) and see if there are any devices there, and maybe delete if any (both the car and the phone) and start over. I do still have headsets paired for my other car that doesn't have bluetooth. But it should work - nothing to do with Mirror Link.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your phone should connect to the Bluetooth with no problem. All the issues here are regarding what happens when you plug your phone into a USB cable into a port under the shifter - like to charge it that way, rather than the "lighter" charger. It should "pair" right up and allow phone and music. Mine (I have the galaxy s5) reads the texts to me and I think there are some canned replies I can do. So - if yours isn't working - go into the bluetooth on your phone and try to pair it that way - by scanning and see if it sees the car. You can also go into "phones" on the car (not when driving) and see if there are any devices there, and maybe delete if any (both the car and the phone) and start over. I do still have headsets paired for my other car that doesn't have bluetooth. But it should work - nothing to do with Mirror Link.
Sorry, that was a two parter. I'm a little confused as to what you can actually use mirror link for with an android. I need to buy a new phone as I can't even connect via bluetooth (they pair, just can't ever connect), and I'm torn between getting a crap iphone and getting full support, or getting a samsung and only being able to use it for bluetooth talking (or parked text messages!)

Even with the blank screen, has anyone successfully played music either via usb or bluetooth from a samsung? I haven't been able to do either currently. :(

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry, that was a two parter. I'm a little confused as to what you can actually use mirror link for with an android. I need to buy a new phone as I can't even connect via bluetooth (they pair, just can't ever connect), and I'm torn between getting a crap iphone and getting full support, or getting a samsung and only being able to use it for bluetooth talking (or parked text messages!)

Even with the blank screen, has anyone successfully played music either via usb or bluetooth from a samsung? I haven't been able to do either currently. :(

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I don't know what Mirror Link is supposed to do - I'm sure someone here does. But for sure my Samsung (no iPhone for me either!) does play music and talk - BlueTooth. I have NOT tried to play music from it via USB though. Blacked out I don't think anything works, but I was able to disable the mirror link. I DO think that with iPhone, people can get their maps to show on the screen - but you may need the NAV for that - which I don't have. Someone here will help you. Hang tight.. For sure there is more support for iPhone - but I don't know what so can't say if it's worth it. Did you un-pair all devices from your phone and the car and start over? Your phone should work as a phone and for audio stuff..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts