Honda HR-V Forum banner
121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
A few safety tips on Brake Hold: (I drive the European ES Manual Gearbox version)

1) Be careful if you stall the car - Break Hold will not be on when you restart the engine. I had a kid run out in front of me and hit the brakes - engine stalled. I restarted and continued on. At the next set of lights the car rolled forward after I thought Break Hold would have it. (Luckily I was first in line and there was no one to hit). It was only then that I realised that Break Hold had disengaged when I stalled and needed to be turned on again. (I'd really like a red warning to tell me when Break Hold is off, rather than the green one that tells me when its on).

2) Apparently Break Hold will disengage after 10 minutes. I've been in some monster traffic jams (accident ahead) and make of point of putting on the actual parking break if I'm stopped for more than a minute or two.

3) Be aware it only works if you completely stop. If the car still has a tiny amount of movement it won't kick in.

4) Less a safety tip and more a misunderstanding. The car salesman who gave me the test drive and turned over the car said that for Break Hold to work (in the manual version) you needed to bring the car to a complete stop, pushing in the clutch, change to neutral and release the clutch. This is incorrect. As soon as you come to a complete stop with the clutch pushed in Break Hold will engage and you can immediately change down to gear 1 without having to go to neutral or release the clutch. (I've been told this can be bad for the clutch if holding it in for a long time, but it makes short stops much easier).

On the Active Break System - be aware that it won't function if the battery is too low.

On the Cruise Control with Speed Limiter - be very careful. I only tried the speed limiter once and had some issues. I was driving on a Motorway with a speed limit of 80km/h when the sensors picked up a Speed Limit sign for 50km/h on the off ramp to my side as I was driving past - the car immediately slowed to 50km/h much to the annoyance of the other cars behind me.

I like having it pick up the Speed Limit signs and display them (and I would like if it gave some warning when you're exceeding the limit) but the speed limiter itself seems to be too unreliable.

Just what I've found so far,
Keith McC

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
On the Cruise Control with Speed Limiter - be very careful. I only tried the speed limiter once and had some issues. I was driving on a Motorway with a speed limit of 80km/h when the sensors picked up a Speed Limit sign for 50km/h on the off ramp to my side as I was driving past - the car immediately slowed to 50km/h much to the annoyance of the other cars behind me.
Does your car have the collision avoidance system? Apparently Ford has a system that uses the front camera to read speed limits on traffic signs, and behave accordingly: Ford Intelligent Speed Limiter reads signs, sets cruise control — but only 5 mph over

I can assure you that the HR-V cruise control (nor most drivers) pays absolutely no attention to posted speed limits in the USA.

>:D

Update: This Honda Technology page appears to describe what's going on:

Traffic Sign Recognition System

Traffic Sign Recognition System uses the multi-purpose camera to detect road signs whenever the vehicle is moving forward. The system automatically recognises and displays the signs via the intelligent Multi Information Display (iMID) once the vehicle has passed the sign.

The system is designed to detect circular road signs displaying speed limits and ‘No Passing’ information. Two road signs can be displayed at any one time – the right side of the display only shows speed limit signs and the left side is for “no passing” signs and speed limits with additional information, such as weather conditions, for example.

The Traffic Sign Recognition System can judge if a sign is relevant to the vehicle or not, and will only display it if it is relevant. For example, signs depicting speed limits specifically for Heavy Goods Vehicles will not be displayed by the system. Traffic Sign Recognition System can always be viewed through the dedicated page on the i-Mid or can be selected to appear below normal display.
That is a feature that I would not find desirable.

However on the same page, they talk about ANC, which I would love to see incorporated in a future HR-V:

Active Noise Cancellation

Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is designed to dramatically reduce low frequency noise in the interior. The system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the audio system is on or off.

There are two microphones in the cabin area. The microphones capture low-end drivetrain frequencies entering the cabin, and send a signal to the Active Noise Cancellation unit. The control unit then creates a precisely timed reverse phase audio signal that is sent to the speakers, cancelling out the drivetrain frequencies and creating a quieter cabin.
Before picking the HR-V, we took a test drive in a Buick Encore, which is equipped with ANC, and the silence in the car was truly amazing. As the cost of computing power continues to drop, I suspect that ANC may become standard on most cars, as sound deadening material adds weight, which impacts gas mileage, while ANC avoids the weight penalty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
An additional observation about Brake Hold, see the post by Keith McC for an excellent description about Brake Hold above.

I have a Canadian EX FWD Manual Gearbox version and I notice if I have Brake Hold turned on and I park with the clutch and brake held down in reverse gear and press the button to turn off the vehicle (smart entry), the Electric Parking Brake will automatically engage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@bbhondaguy: the brake hold, when enabled, allows you to take your foot off the brake at a standstill while keeping the car stopped. A press of the accelerator disables the brake hold and allows you to continue driving like normal. Mostly I think it's useful for stop-and-go traffic or long lights where your foot gets fatigued holding the brake down.
The salesman showed me the brake hold but I forgot all about it. Can you please tell me were is it located again? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Behind the Parking Break there is a button marked 'Break Hold'. Pushing it will toggle 'Break Hold' on or off. When the system is on there is a Green 'Break Hold' light in the middle of the Instrument dials (in the Irish model its the words 'Break Hold' - may be different in the US model).

When the system is on and you bring the car to a complete stop then the system will apply the Break and a Second Green icon will light on the Dash under the first one to tell you its now holding the car. At this point you can remove your foot from the Break Pedal.

When you try to drive away the second light will go out and the break will disengage automatically.

It makes stop-go driving very easy :) and it's my favourite thing about my HRV.

If you use it just make sure you get into the habit of looking for the Green Break Hold light every time you scan the dash - even when you use it all the time it's very easy to forget to turn it on when you turn on the engine.

Keith McC

·
Registered
371 Posts
Behind the Parking Break there is a button marked 'Break Hold'. Pushing it will toggle 'Break Hold' on or off. When the system is on there is a Green 'Break Hold' light in the middle of the Instrument dials (in the Irish model its the words 'Break Hold' - may be different in the US model).

When the system is on and you bring the car to a complete stop then the system will apply the Break and a Second Green icon will light on the Dash under the first one to tell you its now holding the car. At this point you can remove your foot from the Break Pedal.

When you try to drive away the second light will go out and the break will disengage automatically.

It makes stop-go driving very easy :) and it's my favourite thing about my HRV.

If you use it just make sure you get into the habit of looking for the Green Break Hold light every time you scan the dash - even when you use it all the time it's very easy to forget to turn it on when you turn on the engine.

Keith McC
Serious question (I'm not trying to be a jerk like normal, honest): in Ireland is it "break" rather than "brake"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an EX 6-speed and I only use the Brake Hold when I am stopped on a hill in traffic or a red light and don't want to roll back into the person behind me when I start moving. Oh and sometimes when parking, when the car starting rolling forward while in reverse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think i remember in this thread someone asking about changing the color of the ring on the speedometer. PG. 28 of the owner's guide tells you how. Just a quick tip from a newbie owner. Day2 and counting.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am also torn between the EX and EX-L. I was leaning towards the EX but now I am leaning towards the EX-L for voice control.
Different strokes for different folks. I hate talking to computers, except to swear at them when I am frustrated.
Just my .02. I have an exl and the voice recognition is crap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just my .02. I have an exl and the voice recognition is crap.
I have the EX. I have heard others say the Navigation is not great. On the other hand, I might have preferred the leather, ONLY because I worry about the fabric on the doors not being tough - although so far so good for me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the EX. I have heard others say the Navigation is not great. On the other hand, I might have preferred the leather, ONLY because I worry about the fabric on the doors not being tough - although so far so good for me.
The navigation itself I don't mind. It is just the voice recognition was not thought out very well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One tip I learned. If you remove the actual key from the fob, and leave the fob in the car, then you can get out and lock the doors while your car is still running without having the car beep at you because you took the fob out :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
My HRV has a clunk in the brakes that the shop can't repair unless Honda generates a service bulletin. So this was one thing I didn't anticipate buying an HRV--that it might come through with a defect that Honda can't or won't repair. (I may write to Honda to verify this but so far it sounds like sometimes you get a bad one and that's the luck of the draw.) Otherwise I've been very happy with this car. I hope and pray the dealer gets the service bulletin it requires to repair my car, or that I get some positive feedback from HMC.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts