Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2016 LX model. The exterior trim around the vehicle has the unpainted, textured plastic material that dulls over time. I prefer to have it painted the gloss black similar to the 2019+ Sport trim.

There are two routes I can take:
  1. Order the parts from the 2019+ Sport trim and replace my existing ones with them.
  2. Have my existing parts painted.
#2 seems more cost effective and safe since I know the parts fit, but all shops I have spoken to about it claim they can't paint on a textured surface as the paint won't adhere to it. So after looking into route #1, the parts come unpainted from the factory anyways. So wouldn't it make sense for me to just have the existing parts painted? How do Sport trim owners go through having their vehicles repaired from collisions if the parts have to be painted anyways?

Or do the Sport trim parts come prepped to be painted from the factory compared to what the 2016 LX comes with?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi. I have a 2016 LX model. The exterior trim around the vehicle has the unpainted, textured plastic material that dulls over time. I prefer to have it painted the gloss black similar to the 2019+ Sport trim.

1. Order the parts from the 2019+ Sport trim and replace my existing ones with them.
#2 seems more cost effective and safe since I know the parts fit, but all shops I have spoken to about it claim they can't paint on a textured surface as the paint won't adhere to it. So after looking into route #1, the parts come unpainted from the factory anyways. So wouldn't it make sense for me to just have the existing parts painted? How do Sport trim owners go through having their vehicles repaired from collisions if the parts have to be painted anyways?

Or do the Sport trim parts come prepped to be painted from the factory compared to what the 2016 LX comes with?

Thanks
Why not go even cheaper than painting and have a local shop decal wrap them the color you want? It would be way cheaper and look just as good with a glossy wrap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not go even cheaper than painting and have a local shop decal wrap them the color you want? It would be way cheaper and look just as good with a glossy wrap.
I didn't think about this... it's not out of the question 🤔

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts

Thanks
I've thought about upgrading my '16 EX with the sport trim in the past but I've read here that it's not an exact fit. To avoid any possible fitment issues, I painted the original trim semi gloss black a few months ago and the paint is starting to come off in oddly shaped pieces exposing the dull, slightly sun damaged surface underneath. Keep us updated.

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts
Vinyl wrapping isn't very permanent. I've had things vinyl wrapped in a few cars and the vinyl wrap always scratched easily and faded, even after adding different vinyl wrap protectors. They claim that it's good up to 5 years but mine usually had to be removed after 3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've thought about upgrading my '16 EX with the sport trim in the past but I've read here that it's not an exact fit. To avoid any possible fitment issues, I painted the original trim semi gloss black a few months ago and the paint is starting to come off in oddly shaped pieces exposing the dull, slightly sun damaged surface underneath. Keep us updated.
This is the exact situation I'm in. The paint just comes right off after a few months, in the sun, pressure washing, etc.

Since the Sport trim comes unpainted, wouldn't it run into the same issues? I'm taking it to a body shop tomorrow to get some professional input and will keep you posted.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
430 Posts
Before going down the changing and wrapping parts route, have you tried using a dedicated trim cleaner to rejuvenate the fading? I use one at least twice a year and so far I'm happy with the results.

It would not take much to scratch the shiny Sport trim and it would require a more intensive effort to rectify it. I have several scratches on the shiny section of the front grill where it was hit by some road debris. I can either pay someone around £100 to rectify it, or pay over £300 for the dealer to replace it.

Currently, as much as it annoys me I know it is there, I'm not £300 annoyed with it. Especially as it won't be the last scratch it will get.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pieces from Honda could be overly expensive, that is for sure.
True.

I'm wondering if anyone has ordered these parts and seen if it is in fact a different texture than the ones that come on the 2016-2018 models. No one wants to touch these things because they're afraid the paint will come right off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Textured plastic can be painted after it is sanded smooth. Then it's the same as painting any plastic automotive part.

This is commonly done in the older Dodge Ram trucks. For smaller items, textured black plastic mirrors, door handles, etc.

Sanding/prepping all the HRV gray plastic trim would take a ton of time.
No way it would be worth it to pay someone to do that, but if you are ambitious, it can be done!

Reactions: urbanglowcam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen them in person and can confirm that they're not textured. They're smooth.
Bummer. Then I would need that instead. Thanks for the heads up though! It's been hard to find much info about it.

This is a link to Bernardi Honda's parts catalog for the HRV Sport. The front trim is $130 each. Have not found where the rear wheel arch protectors are yet.

Thanks. I wish the parts all came painted. Buying the parts and then having them painted is going to be pricey.

Textured plastic can be painted after it is sanded smooth. Then it's the same as painting any plastic automotive part.

This is commonly done in the older Dodge Ram trucks. For smaller items, textured black plastic mirrors, door handles, etc.

Sanding/prepping all the HRV gray plastic trim would take a ton of time.
No way it would be worth it to pay someone to do that, but if you are ambitious, it can be done!
Yeah, I may need to take it upon myself to do it then. Though I wonder how much shops would charge to sand it that way. It might still be cheaper than ordering the parts from the Sport trim and at least I know these parts fit my 2016 all around. :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
430 Posts
A couple of options;

1) Contact your nearest Honda dealer and find out how much the parts cost, and whether they come painted or not. Once they give you the info you need, ask if they will fit your vehicle. You may need to contact a couple of dealerships for this info, or even HUS themselves. From personal experience with my previous vehicle, it was shocking and annoying how little dealerships and so on actually know about the products they sell.

2) Contact a couple of bodyshops/resprayers and find out how much they will charge to convert your current trim to Sport.

If true, I find it strange the Sports trim is unpainted as, IIRC, it only comes in one colour, so it's not as if it is to prevent different coloured stock sitting on shelves.

Having read some of the posts on here, I would err more towards getting the trim wrapped; you can texture it or have it how you want; carbon weave etcetera. It would also be easier and cheaper to repair if and when it gets damaged. Also, if the Sport trim is not a direct fit, it saves you having to modify any subsequent replacement parts.

Although I like the piano black interior trim in my vehicle, I am not a big fan of the Sport trim. My neighbour has a Ford Focus with piano black trim on the B pillar and over time it now looks like a spider on acid has made several webs on it.

That aside, good luck with your endeavours and keep us posted, as it will be interesting and informative to see the end result; regardless of whether you go through with it or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A couple of options;

1) Contact your nearest Honda dealer and find out how much the parts cost, and whether they come painted or not. Once they give you the info you need, ask if they will fit your vehicle. You may need to contact a couple of dealerships for this info, or even HUS themselves. From personal experience with my previous vehicle, it was shocking and annoying how little dealerships and so on actually know about the products they sell.

2) Contact a couple of bodyshops/resprayers and find out how much they will charge to convert your current trim to Sport.

If true, I find it strange the Sports trim is unpainted as, IIRC, it only comes in one colour, so it's not as if it is to prevent different coloured stock sitting on shelves.

Having read some of the posts on here, I would err more towards getting the trim wrapped; you can texture it or have it how you want; carbon weave etcetera. It would also be easier and cheaper to repair if and when it gets damaged. Also, if the Sport trim is not a direct fit, it saves you having to modify any subsequent replacement parts.

Although I like the piano black interior trim in my vehicle, I am not a big fan of the Sport trim. My neighbour has a Ford Focus with piano black trim on the B pillar and over time it now looks like a spider on acid has made several webs on it.

That aside, good luck with your endeavours and keep us posted, as it will be interesting and informative to see the end result; regardless of whether you go through with it or not.
Yup! I've been doing exactly that. The Honda parts / collision departments didn't seem very knowledgeable and gave some mixed info. The general consensus was that the parts come unpainted with a few exceptions. I also found this link which appears to confirm they will be unpainted. 2019 HR-V Sport Gloss Black Application (honda.com)

My feeling was the same that it is strange they are unpainted when they use the same Crystal Black Pearl color regardless of which color the vehicle is.

I may consider doing the wrap method, but now I have the issue of trying to strip the existing paint that I added to the car already. In hindsight, I would have never touched it myself as it's now starting to look like a peeling mess.

I will for sure keep this thread updated!

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
251 Posts
I plan to do this too but in several years when mine begins to fade I'm in hopes that the wreaking yards will have some donors and I'll just swap the parts over.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks
Just saw this :

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up just having the shop paint the existing panels, but it costed around $2k. I'm sure most would agree it wasn't worth it, but I am really happy with the new look of it. I could have ordered the Sport trim parts, but that's not even guaranteed to fit my 2016. They're also not all painted from the factory which means the cost would probably come to around the same or more.

Eight of my existing panels were painted. Each piece had to be sanded in primed in a way that ensured there would be no peeling in the future. The shop gave me a lifetime guarantee that there would be no peeling and even felt confident enough for me to continue washing my car with a high pressure washer.

I will try to post some photos soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts