Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Circle Electric blue Darkness Automotive design
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Loving the look, feel, and mpg of my new bigger tires! I'm aware they affect the efficiency, performance, etc. just like bigger rims compared to the stock 215/55/17, but I wanted a more cushioned experience, additional height, and overall look, and my mpg is pretty decent! 馃憤

Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
Since your computer hasn't been calibrated for the larger tires, you have to adjust for the difference in revolutions per mile. Once you adjust for that, your actual mpg is closer to 30.

Should also be noted that this will throw off the odometer reading on the vehicle, which can lead to the warranty being invalidated. I'm a little surprised that the tire shop didn't cover these details with you before you made your purchase. That's a pretty big failing on their part.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since your computer hasn't been calibrated for the larger tires, you have to adjust for the difference in revolutions per mile. Once you adjust for that, your actual mpg is closer to 30.

Should also be noted that this will throw off the odometer reading on the vehicle, which can lead to the warranty being invalidated. I'm a little surprised that the tire shop didn't cover these details with you before you made your purchase. That's a pretty big failing on their part.
Yes I'm aware. Also, I've paid off my 2016 HR-V, warranty has expired, I'm on top of the maintenance, I'm fully aware of the odometer reading (which has been re-calibrated, no need to re-gear the transmission since it's a CVT) Honda confirmed my tire set up is possible, and I'm loving my new tires!

Registered
Yes I'm aware. Also, I've paid off my 2016 HR-V, warranty has expired, I'm on top of the maintenance, I'm fully aware of the odometer reading (which has been re-calibrated, no need to re-gear the transmission since it's a CVT) Honda confirmed my tire set up is possible, and I'm loving my new tires!

The Honda HRV CVT TSB/Recall extends the CVT warranty to 7 years/150 000miles.

Even if your 2016 HRV is less than 7 years old (from the in-service date) and less than 150 000miles, those tall tires would likely invalidate the Honda CVT extended warranty anyway.
But it doesn't sound like you are worried and your HRV looks way better with the bigger tires. :)

How did you recalibrate your speedometer and odometer?

Reactions: Xperiance

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Honda HRV CVT TSB/Recall extends the CVT warranty to 7 years/150 000miles.

Even if your 2016 HRV is less than 7 years old (from the in-service date) and less than 150 000miles, those tall tires would likely invalidate the Honda CVT extended warranty anyway.
But it doesn't sound like you are worried and your HRV looks way better with the bigger tires. :)

Thanks! Yea I'm definitely on top of the CVT maintenance at least. I don't tow or drive aggressively too and I always make sure I completely stop before shifting from R to D and vice versa.
Honda service recalibrated it.

Registered
Wow, good on you. I have not heard of anyone being able to get a Honda dealer to do that.

Confirmed with a GPS or speedometer App on your Cell phone?

Any more details?

I wonder if they used the Honda HDS diagnostic tool to make the change in the ECM.
Or if there is a new Honda dealer diagnostic system out there that I am not familiar with.

Reactions: Xperiance

Registered
Thanks! Yea I'm definitely on top of the CVT maintenance at least. I don't tow or drive aggressively too and I always make sure I completely stop before shifting from R to D and vice versa.
Another helpful tip for ALL automatic transmissions: If you are stopped in traffic for extended periods (traffic jams, highway construction, etc.), shift to neutral or park. If you leave it in drive with your foot on the brake, the transmission will overheat.

Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
NICE 馃憤 do you use eco mode? I do
I've owned my HR-V for around 18 months now. I've read various threads on a number of forums about ECON mode, without any definitive answers to it's Plus and Minuses.

For the first 12 months I've ran it with ECON on and recorded my MPG via the Fuelly app. Since March of this year I've ran it with ECON off, and although it's a little too early to compare MPG figures, between each. HOWEVER, I've noticed a massive improvement with pick up and acceleration with ECON off. I've just completed the longest journey I've undertaken with my HR-V so far (222 miles) and recorded my best MPG of 54.4mpg Imperial, not sure what Fuelly will make of that figure!

Switching off ECON does not affect the operation of the Eco Nanny colour changing speedo, which I still make use of.

Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
The issue is between econ mode and the driver. At least for me.

I don't know how econ fully works, but I do know that when it's on, it acts as a delay or a sort "buffer" in terms on the pedal to throttle and other stuff.

However, when I drive and feel that "delay," it makes me want to compensate for it, so I press even harder. And that effectively overrides any fuel efficiency it might've gained.

Registered
I've been driving for over 50 years and owned all kinds of vehicles, all of which I worked on. My experience is that high revving small engines, especially with "undersquare" bore and strokes do not like to be "lugged" at low rpm's. Compare running up the steps taking one step at a time vs two steps or three steps at a time and you will understand how lower gears and higher revs help the engine breathe and maintain power. Because of this, I never use the Econ mode which makes the engine anemic and overworked. Push the Econ button and watch the tachometer while driving in ordinary conditions. Feel the engine strain to keep up at low speeds.

On secondary roads and in the city, both of which require lower speed limits, I keep the transmission in SPORT mode. On the interstate, I use DRIVE mode.

The SPORT mode helps on the hills and while going into turns, allows me to slow down without using the brakes which is safer on slick roads in inclement weather.

Yes, this uses more gas but the benefits of a healthier engine and safer driving conditions are worth it. The car already gets great gas mileage. If I wanted better mileage, I would have bought a Prius.

Also, keeping the revs higher in hotter weather keeps the engine cooler because the cooling system is operating much more efficiently by dissipating the heat faster. Compare engines sitting in a traffic jam versus flying down the highway.

If you want to maintain good gas mileage, keep your car tuned up, proper air in the tires and pretend there is an egg between the bottom of your foot and the gas pedal. Smooth driving habits will save a bunch of gas.

Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
I don't know how econ fully works

As I've posted on other threads, instead of mashing the pedal, drop it down a few gears.

I'm currently driving the motorway network around Liverpool and Manchester, and it's absolute bedlam. I've found dropping from 6th to 4th has helped a lot in most situations; getting out quickly after getting boxed in, overtaking an unsteady HGV, getting out of the way of a tailgater, joining from a slip road. Even with doing all of the above the fuel nanny stated my average fuel economy for the 200+ mile journey was 54.4mpg Imperial.

The above was also how I drove my 2003 Civic, and that experience, and how the engine performed was one of the reasons I chose the naturally aspirated HR-V over its 1.0l 3 cylinder turbo competitors even though they were slightly quicker and (on paper at least) had far superior fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions.

Registered
That's quite a bit larger of a tire than the stock tire. Even if you have enough clearance for it not to rub anywhere, it's still going to put a considerably greater strain on your transmission, and I'd be more concerned about that than looks and feel. Especially a tire that's 2" greater in diameter. Personally, I wouldn't have gone larger than another .5" - .75" total diameter increase.
I certainly wouldn't have gone wider. Perhaps you're in an area that doesn't see much or any snow, but in my area we see quite a bit of snow throughout the winter and a wider tire is definitely not better.
And lastly, have you considered the effect it would take on your brake system, let alone braking distances in emergencies?
What's done is done and it does look nice, but I think you sacrificed wear and tear and safety for looks and a slightly softer ride.

As a side note, who ever installed your tires didn't install the "H" center caps correctly. The narrow part of the "H" is suppose to point toward your valve stems.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, good on you. I have not heard of anyone being able to get a Honda dealer to do that.

Confirmed with a GPS or speedometer App on your Cell phone?

Any more details?

I wonder if they used the Honda HDS diagnostic tool to make the change in the ECM.
Or if there is a new Honda dealer diagnostic system out there that I am not familiar with.
Confirmed with Google Maps which shows my actual speed 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another helpful tip for ALL automatic transmissions: If you are stopped in traffic for extended periods (traffic jams, highway construction, etc.), shift to neutral or park. If you leave it in drive with your foot on the brake, the transmission will overheat.
Thanks! I'm assuming that applies to the Brake Hold feature too? It's very convenient

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's quite a bit larger of a tire than the stock tire. Even if you have enough clearance for it not to rub anywhere, it's still going to put a considerably greater strain on your transmission, and I'd be more concerned about that than looks and feel. Especially a tire that's 2" greater in diameter. Personally, I wouldn't have gone larger than another .5" - .75" total diameter increase.
I certainly wouldn't have gone wider. Perhaps you're in an area that doesn't see much or any snow, but in my area we see quite a bit of snow throughout the winter and a wider tire is definitely not better.
And lastly, have you considered the effect it would take on your brake system, let alone braking distances in emergencies?
What's done is done and it does look nice, but I think you sacrificed wear and tear and safety for looks and a slightly softer ride.

As a side note, who ever installed your tires didn't install the "H" center caps correctly. The narrow part of the "H" is suppose to point toward your valve stems.
No snow in my area in California. The new tires are considerably taller, but not much wider than the stock ones. And yes, I'm fully aware of the effect on the transmission, braking system, etc. which I'm on top of the maintenance and care despite my desire to get bigger tires. CVT service was done at around 30k then around 55k. I don't tow, drive aggressively or coast in neutral, and I definitely make sure I'm stopped completely before shifting from R to D and vice versa. Also, I don't tailgate so I have ample time and space to brake lightly and accordingly and when going downhill, I tap on the brake instead of braking continuously. Sure, there may be rare scenarios that need sudden braking, and that would put stress in all cars, modified or not. Anticipation and alertness are important in the end.

And I don't mind about the H caps. It's not an issue to me honestly.

Nonetheless, there are people who want modify their vehicles with bigger wheels, bigger tires, etc. As long as they're happy with the results while being on top of the maintenance, they can do whatever they want to their cars. I'm loving my new tires!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts